Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pink burgers common?

Pink burgers common?

Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of
Default Pink burgers common?

I ordered an expensive gourmet burger on Sunshine coast from cafe and it was pink except on the outside. Is this common in Oz?, all my burgers in UK were cooked throughout so always greyish inside.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pink burgers common?

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
I ordered an expensive gourmet burger on Sunshine coast from cafe and it was pink except on the outside. Is this common in Oz?, all my burgers in UK were cooked throughout so always greyish inside.
Was it steak or mince, if it was mince I would have sent it back
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Not sure, it was soft, mixed with onions, etc, so perhaps mince then?, said 100% beef on menu, was about an inch thick.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:49 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

So long as it was fresh meat, it doesn't matter either way. Beef is beef.

For an "expensive gourmet burger" your waiter should have asked you how you wanted it cooked, just like they would for a steak.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:55 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

When I read the title, I thought this was another thread about PP
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, it was soft, mixed with onions, etc, said 100% beef on menu, was about an inch thick.
Sounds like mince, which should be cooked through.

Each QLD restaurant is supposed to have a qualified food safety supervisor. However.... A friend of ours teaches one course, tells us some right horror stories, the pizza restaurant owner who couldnt understand why if he had a stomach virus he shouldnt go to work The chinese rest guy who couldnt understand why he shouldnt let meat marinate on the bench overnight OMBG I tell you, we rarely eat out now. One guy was doing his food prep on Monday and still serving it on Friday night. Mind you the bbq is hazardous enough, meat sitting in the sun, salads on the bench, hands in the food, cooked meat served with tongs used on bloody meat.

I prefer to cook myself
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:56 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Did it taste nice? I think that's the important factor here.

Did it give you food poisoning?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:58 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich

I prefer to cook myself
Isn't that painful? Can you be done for cannibalism?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Seasider

For an "expensive gourmet burger" your waiter should have asked you how you wanted it cooked, just like they would for a steak.

Mince can contain far more bacteria, due to its previous handling/processing, can be deadly. Its also often not the most fresh chunks of meat in the first place.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Isn't that painful? Can you be done for cannibalism?

Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seasider
phew, music to my ears, stomach was grumbling, (probably because I ate new things ) sweaty palms etc(I guess 30c explains that ), was starting to worry about medicare cost, feeling weak(jet lag i guess ). That food poison segment on the news last night got me thinking (was very gross). Shouldn't have risked it tbh, but it was so expensive, I thought maybe its just the norm over here and ate half of it.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like mince, which should be cooked through.

Each QLD restaurant is supposed to have a qualified food safety supervisor. However.... A friend of ours teaches one course, tells us some right horror stories, the pizza restaurant owner who couldnt understand why if he had a stomach virus he shouldnt go to work The chinese rest guy who couldnt understand why he shouldnt let meat marinate on the bench overnight OMBG I tell you, we rarely eat out now. One guy was doing his food prep on Monday and still serving it on Friday night. Mind you the bbq is hazardous enough, meat sitting in the sun, salads on the bench, hands in the food, cooked meat served with tongs used on bloody meat.

I prefer to cook myself
Thanks jad n rich, invaluable information.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks jad n rich, invaluable information.

Probably too much information

I've read the course content/workbook. Mince is a big NO NO raw ) Its really interesting, didnt realise ice cream is responsible for so much food poisoning, but think about it sugar, cream all warm and rice, fried rice too, add some nice protein leftovers, let it sit around, bacteria go from thousands to millions in hours.

Fascinating subject
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:23 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I did say so long as it was fresh meat. If it was a gourmet burger I'd hope the restaurant minced it there and then. What's Steak Tartare, if not minced beef? I've eaten that and lived.

OP, you need to get over the terribly British thing and ask for your food to be cooked how you like it! Be polite, request rather than complain, and I would hope they'll happily oblige - unless you're at the Coogee Hotel, perhaps.

edit: typo
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Probably too much information
Nope, its good to know. As long as you don't start posting vivid images of the worst cases since camera's were invented Actually after a quick internet search, pink minch in burger seems a big no no.

"Signs of symptons varies in length - it can be a few hours or up to a few days or weeks." Ah well, wish me luck, I'll try not to worry or think about it anymore.

Last edited by The Flintstones; Dec 5th 2008 at 2:31 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.