Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pinjarra/ Ravenswood

Pinjarra/ Ravenswood

Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:18 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Pinjarra/ Ravenswood

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of these areas, either living or working?

Thanks

Kareena
Old Dec 13th 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pinjarra/ Ravenswood

Hi...I drive through Pinjarra a fair few times on the way to site,but for what it's worth i find it like a very small sleepy village...it's very quite and looks ok.
look at this way,Perth is the largest city in WA,Bunbury is the second,so Pinjarra is small,but try these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinjarr...tern_Australia

http://images.google.com.au/images?s...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.pinjarravisitorcentre.com.au/

hope this helps

Steve
Old Dec 14th 2008, 5:44 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Thanks Steve,

My husband has been given a job in Pinjarra High School, so trying to decide where to live - Pinjarra, Ravenswood or possibly Mandurah.

Kareena
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Gypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really nice
Lightbulb Re: Pinjarra/ Ravenswood

I have done enough research on Peel region as prospective migrant. I would suggest you to stay in Mandurah which is a populous city compared to Pinjarra. Its 20 minutes drive from Mandurah to Pinjarra.

Staying in Mandurah will have following advantages
1) Close to Perth
2) More amenitites in Mandurah compared to Pinjarra.

As far as entertainment is concerned, both Mandurah and Pinjarra are laid back regional areas.

Hope the above would be helpful for your decision making.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 3:38 pm
Living the dream!

Thanks.

It's so difficult to make a decision when i've never been there. Even though my husband and i are both only in our twenties, we have 2 kids and are really looking for a quiet laid back life.

Kareena
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Gypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really nice

I understand.

The following could help
(1) Plan a reccie to WA
(2) Check through 'Google Earth' to have a eagle's eye view of the area.

All the very best.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:44 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gypsy.
Staying in Mandurah will have following advantages
1) Close to Perth
Well same distance except one has the train

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Thanks.

It's so difficult to make a decision when i've never been there. Even though my husband and i are both only in our twenties, we have 2 kids and are really looking for a quiet laid back life.

Kareena
I'd definitely recommend Mandurah. There will be lots more rental ops there anyway to get you started until you're ready to make decision.
There will be considerably more to do in and around Mandurah. Pinjarra is pretty much small country town despite being slow close to Perth.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of these areas, either living or working?

Thanks

Kareena
Definately Mandurah, alone for the day to day shopping. Pinjarra is tiny. Mandurah offers much more choice regarding housing.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

Thanks

Kareena
Pinjarra is surrounded by swampy ground and most of the new subdivisions on the Mandurah / Pinjarra road are on very low ground or Murray River flood plain.
Mosquitoes are particularly bad summer and winter.
Mandurah also has some bad mozzie areas along the river
Ravenswood is a rural locality ,from memory there wasn't anything there.But
the new freeway extension would pass very close so you would still only be
10 minutes to Baldivis (if access is near )
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:48 pm
Living the dream!

Thanks for all your replies.

We have decided on Mandurah. The rental prices there are much more reasonable. We move on in 3 weeks, so glad we have now made a firkm decision on where to live. We are looking at the Hall's Head region as it has a particularly good primary school there.

Thanks again

Kareena
Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your replies.

We have decided on Mandurah. The rental prices there are much more reasonable. We move on in 3 weeks, so glad we have now made a firkm decision on where to live. We are looking at the Hall's Head region as it has a particularly good primary school there.

Thanks again

Kareena

Hi Kareena

Welcome to Mandurah - We live in Lakelands a new suburb north of Mandurah. People are so nice and helpful here. When we arrived 18 months ago we knew nothing about the culture, places etc... but thanks to the local people, we settled down quite well.
Mandurah host WA best beach and is one of Australia's fastest growing region.
In need of help, let me know..
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

am suprised at some of the comments on Pinjarra. Pinjarra has had a new shopping centre open this year and there are loads of new builds in and around Pinjarra. Some areas are the bigger acerage blocks and it's the area a lot of people move to if they have horses etc The main part of Pinjarra is fairly small but then so is Mandurah. If I want to go shopping I head north to Garden City !!

Personally I don't think you can make any decisions on any areas without seeing them first. The areas we decided to live in both through research and reccie were not the one we finally picked.

Halls Head has three good primary schools but a pretty dire state high school. It can take 15 mins to get to the Pinjarra road depending on the traffic lights so it would be quite a drive every day to Pinjarra High.

On saying that you have to pick the best place for the whole family. Good luck with whatever you decide.