British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   ping ponging (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/ping-ponging-780579/)

steven'n'debi Dec 14th 2012 10:17 am

ping ponging

Long story short, after 6 years living in Perth WA we moved back to Scotland just over a year ago, we are now looking to make the move back to Perth for various reasons, main thing being kids not settling.

I was looking for some advice on schooling, my daughter is half way through standard grade year (4th year) in scotland and will sit standard grade exams in june, if we move back to aus in june or july it will mean she will have missed half of year 11 in aus, however if we move back now for the start of year 11 she will not have completed any exams/standard grades and that some how worries the life out of me as she will have missed last compulsory year in both countries.

my son also will just be starting year 9 in feb (last compulsory year in aus) if we move back in feb but will miss half of the year if we wait till our daughter finishes exams!! so its in his best interest to be there for school year starting.

Im having trouble making a decision for the best, help... :unsure:

moneypenny20 Dec 14th 2012 12:43 pm

Re: ping ponging

There's nothing to stop your daughter starting year 11 again if you come for February.

steven'n'debi Dec 14th 2012 1:26 pm

If we do come in feb she will be starting year 11, my concern is that she wont have finished her last school year in uk, being her standard grades and will not have completed year 10 either! not sure what difference if any this will all make as year 12 results are what get you your uni place i suppose??

moneypenny20 Dec 14th 2012 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by steven'n'debi (Post 10433022)
If we do come in feb she will be starting year 11, my concern is that she wont have finished her last school year in uk, being her standard grades and will not have completed year 10 either! not sure what difference if any this will all make as year 12 results are what get you your uni place i suppose??

She'll need 11 and 12 to graduate but 12 to sort out Uni. Not finishing year 10 wouldn't be too much of a problem, the school will go by age and what she's capable of. You'd just have to explain the situation to the school.

Dreamy Dec 15th 2012 12:26 am

Originally Posted by steven'n'debi (Post 10433022)

Both my elder children were in a similar situation when we moved out here - they both just did year 11 and 12 here instead and have both gone onto uni. It depends on how long you stay here this time as to whether it'll have an effect on her education (it could make things more complicated if you head back before she finishes year 12 here, but nothing is insurmountable)

Gems Dec 15th 2012 12:53 am

My son did not bother to sit his IGCSE exams as we had job offer.
We arrived near the end of Australian Y10.
He did very well in Year 11 & 12, got high scores and is at University.
Have Aussie qualifications made is straightforward for Uni applications.

We have no regrets doing this. (Hubby is a school teacher)

Gems

steven'n'debi Dec 15th 2012 8:42 am

Thanks for the feedback i really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Sasha Fierce Dec 17th 2012 2:48 am

Can I ask why you moved back to Scotland and also what makes you want to go back to Perth?
Im also from Scotland and although I really love living here in Australia I would be lying if I it didnt cross my mind from time to time to move back home, in fact Im going back for a holiday at Christmas and with it being the first time since I came over here 4 years ago, am wondering how I will feel. I also have a family and they are really settled here, I just miss mum and dad, friends etc, a good curry... I better stop there!!!

steven'n'debi Dec 17th 2012 3:00 pm

oh sasha to be honest i personally did not want to move back to scotland in the first place but after a xmas holiday in 2010 my husband was really home sick and desperately wanted to move back, the kids where not 100% keen on the move but came round after time, as did I.

The things my husband missed about scotland and his reasons for moving back where the same, family, friends, good food and the great scottish banter amongst other things, but it was short lived and he has now came to the realization that he does prefer australia after all (very expensive lesson) our kids are teenagers and have spent 6 yrs in australia so have not settled well here and want to move back, personally i love it here and would stay, i am the only one who seams happy though but i do have my family and a great social life here! i also loved living in australia and will settle back in to perth just fine i think, although i will miss scotland, friends and family.

i would never change coming back for the time we have as its given us all a chance to reconnect with family and the scottish culture (a holiday just isnt the same)

Having experienced both i do feel australia is better for bringing up my family and feel my kids will have a better future over there, (not convinced its whats best for my future though) i do feel they do better in school in Scotland but are better all round kids in australia, but that could all just be an age thing.

Anyway ive went on a bit :blink: hope you find you settle a bit better after your holiday. :)

Sasha Fierce Dec 17th 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks for that. Im reading your post and it could have been written by me!! :D
I feel the same way, I think the kids have a better quality of life of here and so do we for that matter but my husband and I miss the banter. We do have Scottish friends here and thats great but I do miss family and friends from back home. I guess you cant have everything in life but I am concerned that after going home it will unsettle me, expecially after being around everyone at Christmas and New Year.
I guess I will just have to wait and see............. ;)

steven'n'debi Dec 17th 2012 10:33 pm

There is nothing quite like good old scottish humour and banter, i love it and would never have appreciated it this much if i hadnt left and come back so im thankful for all of it.

It will be hard for you all not to feel some level of home sickness at this time of year especially, but do remember that being on holiday and living it are very different as im sure your aware, my husband failed to realise this bless him haha

We have friends who are in scotland on holiday from perth at the moment, they where home sick before coming on holiday but since being here for only 2 weeks they are australia sick and cant wait to get back to what they now call home in australia.

Good luck with your holiday, will be interested to hear how you get on.

Debbie

Sasha Fierce Dec 17th 2012 10:47 pm

Thanks Debbie, it will be a great holiday, expecially seeing family and friends again but Im hoping that when Im there I get the realisation I did the right thing in moving to Australia. I have carried around a lot of guilt leaving my parents as loads do, so Im hoping its hasnt been for nothing.

Its weird, Im very happy here but you know what its like once your back in with the gang going out socially etc and once your back in your family circle I think it will be hard to leave. Some people do say though that its not the same when you go back, people move on and are different. I guess we will find out soon enough :)