Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ping Pong Pommes , where are you??

Ping Pong Pommes , where are you??

Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ping Pong Pommes , where are you??

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Hi loubie,

were about to ping back over, we fly back 14th april kids are now 14 & 19, they cant wait, in fact its why were heading back mainly they have never settled back in the UK properly. We have the opportunity to head bk over because my sis will rent the house offa me, as it wont sell at present, visas expire Jan 2011, so its now or never.

Good luck to any otner ping pongers, its damn expensive, I have even had to borrow to get bk over, now theres commitment for you.

Bluekipper
all the best of luck,Bluekipper, i've followed your story as it was similar to ours.I hope you find happiness, we are all settled now and have no desire to move back to UK,we've been through tough times again this time but have weathered it better and are slowly coming out on top, coming up to 18 months now back in aus.Take care, look forward to your updates.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

Our son is 12 and played plenty of sport back in Oz and also has tried to continue that since we got back. He plays Rugby at school and joined a local football team and sure they do training at 6pm so he comes back freezing but still goes. I must admit he is not as keen as he used to be but we found the difference is here and this is just our experience that no one goes to watch . Maybe its too cold to stand around at this time of year and in Sydney it was easy to go and watch and have a coffee and a chat with other parents but we have found that is definatly not the case here.
Maybe it will be different in the summer or at cricket ?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Babsw
all the best of luck,Bluekipper, i've followed your story as it was similar to ours.I hope you find happiness, we are all settled now and have no desire to move back to UK,we've been through tough times again this time but have weathered it better and are slowly coming out on top, coming up to 18 months now back in aus.Take care, look forward to your updates.
Arrhh thanks for that, lovely to hear your settled now, I wish I could skip the 1st few mths of starting new jobs/looking for a house etc, to the nice bit of going out & about with friends,feeling more settled and that it was all worth while.

I will keep you updated Babs

Bluekipper
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

lucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud of

Hello Loubie,

I was interested to read your post as I saw your programme on No place like home! I have to say I thought it was very biased towards moving people back to the uk but I guess that was the point of the programme. I have to admit that when I watched the show I got the impression that you didn't really want to move back so I wasn't surprised to read that you want to move back!

My OH and me and our son are pingponging back to oz in May or June this year after two years back in the UK. I knew after a week that we'd made a mistake moving back and my feelings haven't changed in the last two years, so I suspect that waiting for summer to see if it changes your mind might not (in my opinion only!) work.

We've lost so much money moving back here and it will cost a bomb to move back but have to keep thinking long term! We've rented the last two years as we've been in a kind of limbo land trying to decide what to do, but now we're getting geared up to move back and I can't wait!

all the best! Lucy
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucy71
Hello Loubie,

My OH and me and our son are pingponging back to oz in May or June this year after two years back in the UK. I knew after a week that we'd made a mistake moving back and my feelings haven't changed in the last two years, so I suspect that waiting for summer to see if it changes your mind might not (in my opinion only!) work.

We've lost so much money moving back here and it will cost a bomb to move back but have to keep thinking long term! We've rented the last two years as we've been in a kind of limbo land trying to decide what to do, but now we're getting geared up to move back and I can't wait!

all the best! Lucy
Where were you in Oz and where are you moving back to Lucy, if you dont mind me asking?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

loubie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lucy71
Hello Loubie,

I was interested to read your post as I saw your programme on No place like home! I have to say I thought it was very biased towards moving people back to the uk but I guess that was the point of the programme. I have to admit that when I watched the show I got the impression that you didn't really want to move back so I wasn't surprised to read that you want to move back!

all the best! Lucy
Hi Lucy

( BTW ths is Dave using my OH user name )

Yes you're right , I didn't particularly want to come back , although I was missing all the usual things and thought it might be a good time.

I also think you're right about the summer not changing my mind , we both know deep down where we should be , no matter how beautiful the summer is here ( albeit brief ).

I'd give it a year , then hopefully he family will forgive us for wanting to head back.

Good luck to you and may this be the last pong for both of us . ( that sounds wrong )

Dave
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mohogony
l think all Ping Pong Poms should burn their passports and save themselves from wasting a massive amount of money.
Oh lighten up - its a huge learning curve!!! Better to try something than to do nothing and watch life go by.

:-)
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice

Not quite the same, but we were away travelling for a year and felt very glad to come home. My first post was along the lines of, shall we go to Oz at all, but now we're packed and ready for the move.

All the things we missed we found that we'd missed the idea of more than anything else. Obviously family is different (parents and siblings), but as for friends - I can't say that people have made any real effort at all, other than giving us lunch and cups of tea when we popped around. There's been no effort to come and see us even when I dropped heavy hints that we didn't have transport. This really did dissapoint me, but I guess is different for everyone and you really have to think carefully. Just because they're in the same country doesn't always make them more accessible!

I am glad that we had the experience as it'll help us when we get started in Oz. Funny enough we've not ruled coming back in 10 years or so, but that's for our parents sake if necessary.

We met some amazing people who have families and live a nomadic life-style travelling the world, I'd like to subscribe to that!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't take much to confuse me...we you in Sydney and other places for a year, or just away from the UK for a year. Was 'glad to be home' the UK or somewhere else...sorry, just couldn't follow the thread. So why Sydney now?

Originally Posted by 5u5an
Not quite the same, but we were away travelling for a year and felt very glad to come home. My first post was along the lines of, shall we go to Oz at all, but now we're packed and ready for the move.

All the things we missed we found that we'd missed the idea of more than anything else. Obviously family is different (parents and siblings), but as for friends - I can't say that people have made any real effort at all, other than giving us lunch and cups of tea when we popped around. There's been no effort to come and see us even when I dropped heavy hints that we didn't have transport. This really did dissapoint me, but I guess is different for everyone and you really have to think carefully. Just because they're in the same country doesn't always make them more accessible!

I am glad that we had the experience as it'll help us when we get started in Oz. Funny enough we've not ruled coming back in 10 years or so, but that's for our parents sake if necessary.

We met some amazing people who have families and live a nomadic life-style travelling the world, I'd like to subscribe to that!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice

Originally Posted by ezzie
Doesn't take much to confuse me...we you in Sydney and other places for a year, or just away from the UK for a year. Was 'glad to be home' the UK or somewhere else...sorry, just couldn't follow the thread. So why Sydney now?
sorry ezzie, we were doing the gap year thing travelling Asia for a year before settling down (i.e. kids) in Australia. We missed the UK while we were away and our families and were glad to return to the UK initially. I think it was a great practise run for living away as we are moving to Sydney next month and are really looking forward to it. We know how we'll feel regarding home-sickness, but skype has been great and the 'home-coming' didn't really feel like I hadn't seen everyone for a year. I think it's just given us more confidence.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

lucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud of

Hi Betty Boot,

We lived in Melbourne, still weighing up whether to move to Brisbane (love the surf, sea lifestyle) or back to Melbourne (where we have lots of friends)...

hard decision to make but a nice one if you know what I mean!

Hi Dave (loubie),

Yup, guess you know in your heart of hearts what you need to do. I was told by expats in oz who had ping ponged back, that you have to go back to want to come back. (go back to the uk to want to come back to oz is what they mean!).

It's an expensive lesson but one we have to go through to appreciate what we had I guess!

keep us posted on how it goes over the next year fellow ponger!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

sparkylad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pajones
Hello Dave, we lived in Mullaloo, Shore place, just off Dampier Ave.We were there just 12 months and kids went to Mullaloo beach Primary.I'm a Plumbing, and Heating Engineer,and had lots of knock backs in oz, i think lots of trades do, working more hours and less money.We miss the nice summers and beach, but not the flies.Have talked about going back,but financially we are better off here. cheers Paul
HI there, I was flicking through and your message caught my attention. I am PLumber also, corgi/gas safe / oftec the lot...... I found plumbing in geelong simply crap treat brits like 16 yr old apprentices i have 24 years experience a real shock at the standard of their work... the average british plumber knows far more than my boss in Geelong.

My question is , Is Perth any different ? what are the wages like and did you find it hard to get a licence. I run my own business and would like to run one there, but i will not do another 4 years in some silly tafe ..