Reload this Page >

Ping Pong anyone?

Ping Pong anyone?

Old Aug 10th 2015, 9:05 am
Just Joined

hereorthere is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Ping Pong anyone?

Originally Posted by Alfresco
If you have a job lined up, then why not.
It seems so easy when i write it, so why is it so darned hard to actually make that decision . oh well i guess nothing ventured nothing gained right!
Old Aug 10th 2015, 9:41 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping Pong anyone?

Originally Posted by hereorthere
It seems so easy when i write it, so why is it so darned hard to actually make that decision . oh well i guess nothing ventured nothing gained right!
What are the wage differences compared to NHS staff in the UK?

I recently saw some comparisons between those in the medical profession and London tube drivers and it seemed like the latter were being treated as having supernormal powers, or at least that was the impression once you compared salaries and benefits. Unreal for them to be striking and holding the city to ransom...
Old Aug 10th 2015, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by astera
What are the wage differences compared to NHS staff in the UK?

I recently saw some comparisons between those in the medical profession and London tube drivers and it seemed like the latter were being treated as having supernormal powers, or at least that was the impression once you compared salaries and benefits. Unreal for them to be striking and holding the city to ransom...
God, I would basically have to double my UK wages to achieve what i was getting in Aus esp with salary sacrificing! It makes me cry every time i get my wage slip here . i do feel the NHS gets a bad press but to be honest (and yes like most Western countries) it is so overcome with bureaucracy and obsessed with paperwork that it's mission impossible to get any clinical work done! Also the chance for promotion is limited....again down to money! I sound like I'm whinging but I do thank my lucky stars that I am able to have job opportunities in both countries
Old Aug 10th 2015, 2:45 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

God, I would basically have to double my UK wages to achieve what i was getting in Aus esp with salary sacrificing! It makes me cry every time i get my wage slip here . i do feel the NHS gets a bad press but to be honest (and yes like most Western countries) it is so overcome with bureaucracy and obsessed with paperwork that it's mission impossible to get any clinical work done! Also the chance for promotion is limited....again down to money! I sound like I'm whinging but I do thank my lucky stars that I am able to have job opportunities in both countries
What profession?

I was pretty senior in Nursing and my salary was not that much greater

I also found the Australian system, both public and private, to be very similar to the NHS.....neither was any better than the other overall.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
What profession?

I was pretty senior in Nursing and my salary was not that much greater

I also found the Australian system, both public and private, to be very similar to the NHS.....neither was any better than the other overall.
I'm a midwife but i work in neonates, public sector. In comparing both wage slips my salary here is definitely nothing compared to my Aus one and i work the same hours....the penalty rates in the UK are pretty poor compared to Aus. I agree that neither system is better than the other but my opportunities were far better in Aus.....gosh i feel like i'm talking myself into going back
Old Aug 10th 2015, 4:20 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a midwife but i work in neonates, public sector. In comparing both wage slips my salary here is definitely nothing compared to my Aus one and i work the same hours....the penalty rates in the UK are pretty poor compared to Aus. I agree that neither system is better than the other but my opportunities were far better in Aus.....gosh i feel like i'm talking myself into going back
What was the exchange rate when you were there?

It has changed a lot in the last couple of years.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

What was the exchange rate when you were there?

It has changed a lot in the last couple of years.
crikey, when we first went it was $2.50 to the pound, that was in 2006 and then when we left it was about $1.50 ish i think . i know a lot has changed with the recession and everything but wage wise it
was still far better in Aus.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 6:16 pm
Bitter and twisted

was still far better in Aus.
not in my experience....but maybe things vary according to your grade.

Certainly the wages are nowhere near double?...in fact, not really much different.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

not in my experience....but maybe things vary according to your grade.

Certainly the wages are nowhere near double?...in fact, not really much different.
maybe not much of a difference for you but they certainly are for me
Old Aug 12th 2015, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

You also have to remember that usually what you earn is in line with the cost of living in the country of residence. I have worked/used "private" hospital's in Aus and the NHS in the U.K and to me both are very similar. We do not have any problems attaining the services we need here in the U.K and the wait for procedures we have needed is really very,very good indeed. If you are just not happy here and you have tried then you should go to where you were happy and that's Australia, you have a job lined up....what are you waiting for, the more you stay where you are unhappy the more you look for things to blame which will make things feel a whole lot worse. Good luck with everything
Old Aug 12th 2015, 9:28 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

God, I would basically have to double my UK wages to achieve what i was getting in Aus esp with salary sacrificing! It makes me cry every time i get my wage slip here .
With qualifications & experience like you have I'd send a few CVs to Singapore with way-oh'yes-way-over-inflated-expectations and see how things go. You never know when the jackpot hits...

It is surprising though that wages in the UK are so illogical at times. I mean tube drivers earning more than medical staff?
Old Aug 12th 2015, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
You also have to remember that usually what you earn is in line with the cost of living in the country of residence. I have worked/used "private" hospital's in Aus and the NHS in the U.K and to me both are very similar. We do not have any problems attaining the services we need here in the U.K and the wait for procedures we have needed is really very,very good indeed. If you are just not happy here and you have tried then you should go to where you were happy and that's Australia, you have a job lined up....what are you waiting for, the more you stay where you are unhappy the more you look for things to blame which will make things feel a whole lot worse. Good luck with everything
i agree with what you say about the NHS, many people diss it but i have to say that i think it's an exceptional service and am proud to have worked for both systems......although thanks to Jeremy Hunts demonisation of the NHS that many not be around for much longer....but that's another topic
I wouldn't say I'm unhappy in the UK, I live in a pretty amazing part of the country but it's also a pretty expensive part of the country to live and NHS wages as I said before make me cry having my boy the other side of the world is my big pull, it would be fair to say that apron stings or umbilical cord for that matter have not been cut yet.......although I'm sure he thinks they have! i have the opportunities very thankfully that will allow me should i choose to be near him. although the dog is costing me a bloody fortune backwards and forwards and who would have though rabies vaccination would cost me so much! oh well........
Old Aug 12th 2015, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by astera
With qualifications & experience like you have I'd send a few CVs to Singapore with way-oh'yes-way-over-inflated-expectations and see how things go. You never know when the jackpot hits...

It is surprising though that wages in the UK are so illogical at times. I mean tube drivers earning more than medical staff?
god i would love to live in Singapore! I was born there so i always feel like i've come home when i go there but i reckon that humidity and my hair wouldn't get on too well

i hear what you say in relation to wages......when i think about how hard i worked all that blood sweat and tears.....with probably a whole lot of swear words to boot and i earn less than someone who drives a train,,,,and please don't take that the wrong way if you happen to be a train driver it is totally illogical!
Old Aug 13th 2015, 2:45 am

god i would love to live in Singapore! I was born there so i always feel like i've come home when i go there but i reckon that humidity and my hair wouldn't get on too well

i hear what you say in relation to wages......when i think about how hard i worked all that blood sweat and tears.....with probably a whole lot of swear words to boot and i earn less than someone who drives a train,,,,and please don't take that the wrong way if you happen to be a train driver it is totally illogical!
The climate there is great - I cannot think of another place where you can wear shorts and a tee 24/7/365 (unless we're looking at much less developed nations).

I'm with you on the wages front - tube drivers getting higher salaries, lots of perks... and still whinging and whining. Unreal...
Old Aug 13th 2015, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

My DOH and DS both have excellent qualifications that took a long time obtaining and a lot of expense both say that there are other people that they know who do not have good qualifications etc and are on more money than they are, they also say they "picked" their careers mainly for what would make them happy rather than "chase the money" there is a lot of "trade" people out there that enjoy their jobs but have to really work hard for it, as my Dad use to say "you don't get something for nothing"

I love Singapore but I am not sure I could live there for a long period, way to humid and way, way to expensive and I also much preferred it a few years ago to how it is now, still a great place to visit though.