Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'Piggy Banks' banned in UK!

'Piggy Banks' banned in UK!

Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'Piggy Banks' banned in UK!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...html?from=top5

Piggy banks 'offend UK Muslims'
October 24, 2005 - 6:44PM

British banks are banning piggy banks because they may offend some Muslims.

Halifax and NatWest banks have led the move to scrap the time-honoured symbol of saving from being given to children or used in their advertising, the Daily Express/Daily Star group reports here.

Muslims do not eat pork, as Islamic culture deems the pig to be an impure animal.

Salim Mulla, secretary of the Lancashire Council of Mosques, backed the bank move.

"This is a sensitive issue and I think the banks are simply being courteous to their customers," he said.

However, the move brought accusations of political correctness gone mad from critics.

"The next thing we will be banning Christmas trees and cribs and the logical result of that process is a bland uniformity," the Dean of Blackburn, Reverend Christopher Armstrong, said.

"We should learn to celebrate our difference, not be fearful of them."

Khalid Mahmoud, the Labour MP for a Birmingham seat and one of four Muslim MPs in Britain, also criticised the piggy-bank ban.

"We live in a multicultural society and the traditions and symbols of one community should not be obliterated just to accommodate another," Mr Mahmoud said.

"I doubt many Muslims would be seriously offended by piggy banks."

OzTennis
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:04 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Piggy Banks' banned in UK!

Yeah I read that. Only thing is I could not find any other news agencies carrying the story. However about two weeks ago a similar story appeared in one of the UK broadsheets. In that case it was a social security office had to remove a box of tissues that had a cartoon pig on the box as it had offended someone.

If true its crazy.

edit: just rechecked. I see channel 7 carried the story. Possibly others are now picking up on it.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
Yeah I read that. Only thing is I could not find any other news agencies carrying the story. However about two weeks ago a similar story appeared in one of the UK broadsheets. In that case it was a social security office had to remove a box of tissues that had a cartoon pig on the box as it had offended someone.

If true its crazy.

edit: just rechecked. I see channel 7 carried the story. Possibly others are now picking up on it.
What is this world coming to?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if it worth converting ? - BBC / BANK REPORT
So the bank appeases the clerics and devout Muslims (and gets more business into the bargain) by charging rent rather than interest.

Of course it is the same with a normal interest bearing mortgage - the bank also owns the property until you make the last repayment. In this case the Muslim presumably doesn't get to own the house until they have paid up to 27 years rent.

OzTennis
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:32 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
So the bank appeases the clerics and devout Muslims (and gets more business into the bargain) by charging rent rather than interest.

Of course it is the same with a normal interest bearing mortgage - the bank also owns the property until you make the last repayment. In this case the Muslim presumably doesn't get to own the house until they have paid up to 27 years rent.

OzTennis
Isnt it amazing ,how , by just changing a name and a bit of the wording things can become acceptable. As one of the comments in the article says a rose by any other name .........

Last edited by seang; Oct 26th 2005 at 10:35 am.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Isnt it amazing ,how , by just changing a name and a bit of wording things can become acceptable. As one of comments in the article says a rose by another name .........
So do you reckon a ham sandwich could be called something else so it would be acceptable?

OzTennis
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:40 am
small steps long journey

So do you reckon a ham sandwich could be called something else so it would be acceptable?

OzTennis
How about a ham butty ?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How about a ham butty ?
Yeah, that will get around the problem with the word sandwich!

How about a Rent sandwich/butty (it worked with the mortgages).

Next I can see rent boys claiming the Muslim mortgages are unPC.

OzTennis
Old Oct 26th 2005, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
What is this world coming to?

I know and they are all laughing at us and our effort in "equality". I work with two girls who just happen to be muslim and I asked them one day if they found pictures of pigs insulting - no they don't and they think that you will find that most muslims think this way.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DebraH
I know and they are all laughing at us and our effort in "equality". I work with two girls who just happen to be muslim and I asked them one day if they found pictures of pigs insulting - no they don't and they think that you will find that most muslims think this way.
Ah, but the thing is that PC'ness is driven by the idea that one person from a particular group might take exception to the likes of this and sue. If no one objects then the Commission for Racial Equality or the National Council for Civil Liberties probably will.

I'm all in favour of equality and reducing discrimination but don't go overboard with it eg the hit and run victim in Manchester who was told that she could not describe the large lady driving the car as being fat - the interviewing officer couldn't record it in her statement because it was in a list of banned words issued by his force.

OzTennis
Old Oct 26th 2005, 11:49 am
small steps long journey

the interviewing officer couldn't record it in her statement because it was in a list of banned words issued by his force.

OzTennis
Dont worry the manchester police have great experience making up statements - shouldnt be a problem
Old Oct 26th 2005, 12:20 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Halifax and NatWest banks have led the move to scrap the time-honoured symbol of saving from being given to children or used in their advertising, the Daily Express/Daily Star group reports here.

Muslims do not eat pork, as Islamic culture deems the pig to be an impure animal.

Salim Mulla, secretary of the Lancashire Council of Mosques, backed the bank move.

"This is a sensitive issue and I think the banks are simply being courteous to their customers," he said.

However, the move brought accusations of political correctness gone mad from critics.

"The next thing we will be banning Christmas trees and cribs and the logical result of that process is a bland uniformity," the Dean of Blackburn, Reverend Christopher Armstrong, said.

Khalid Mahmoud, the Labour MP for a Birmingham seat and one of four Muslim MPs in Britain, also criticised the piggy-bank ban.

"We live in a multicultural society and the traditions and symbols of one community should not be obliterated just to accommodate another," Mr Mahmoud said.

OzTennis
FFS!!
Old Oct 26th 2005, 5:14 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

OzTennis
FFS... what next?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
FFS... what next?

I'm a nursery nurse and one little girl (age 3.5) last term told me that we weren't allowed to sing "bah bah black sheep", needless to say we did and still do sing it.
And I tell the three little pigs story, and goldilocks and all the other horror stories that we had when we were little.

I am such a wicked nursery nurse, scaring all the little children.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:54 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebraH
I'm a nursery nurse and one little girl (age 3.5) last term told me that we weren't allowed to sing "bah bah black sheep", needless to say we did and still do sing it.
And I tell the three little pigs story, and goldilocks and all the other horror stories that we had when we were little.

I am such a wicked nursery nurse, scaring all the little children.
Go and stand in the corner with your finger on your lips...evil person you...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.