Pig Hunting

Old Mar 7th 2007, 5:53 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pig Hunting

im working in cooktown over the next few days (4 hours north of cairns)and have been invited to go pig hunting. just wondered if anyone has done it. it involves going thru the bush with a couple of big ass dogs looking for pigs. if you find one you release the hounds. when they catch the pig and hold it you then bludgeon the pig with a big knife. its a step up from the fishing which i normally do when i get up there but im quite looking forward to it.one bloke who im going up with uses a bow and arrow instead of the dogs. i think im about to step back in time.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:04 am
Banned

longtimeperthgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pig Hunting

Originally Posted by youngy73
im working in cooktown over the next few days (4 hours north of cairns)and have been invited to go pig hunting. just wondered if anyone has done it. it involves going thru the bush with a couple of big ass dogs looking for pigs. if you find one you release the hounds. when they catch the pig and hold it you then bludgeon the pig with a big knife. its a step up from the fishing which i normally do when i get up there but im quite looking forward to it.one bloke who im going up with uses a bow and arrow instead of the dogs. i think im about to step back in time.
If you feel that it is something you just gotta do mate.... personally could think of nothing worse.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a bit boaring to me

Can someone pass the popcorn please.....
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:16 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by longtimeperthgirl
If you feel that it is something you just gotta do mate.... personally could think of nothing worse.
try anything once mate.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:24 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Used to do it with

Machete
Shotgun
no dogs

The hardest part was carrying the thing out. Hope your fit last time I hiked about 20K through thick bush over a week of living rough.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:41 am
youngy73

Originally Posted by thebears
Used to do it with

Machete
Shotgun
no dogs

The hardest part was carrying the thing out. Hope your fit last time I hiked about 20K through thick bush over a week of living rough.
went shooting on a property a while back with a 303. pretty much just ripped the rabbits apart.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:45 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Spuewee
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:51 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

went shooting on a property a while back with a 303. pretty much just ripped the rabbits apart.
You want to see what a shotgun does at 5 feet
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

russell is an unknown quantity at this point

a bit one sided if you ask me why not by an ml50 then you can shoot it from about 2 mile away

sorry dont understand hunting a bit cruel for me
hope the pigs win
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:42 am

JakeG is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by russell
a bit one sided if you ask me why not by an ml50 then you can shoot it from about 2 mile away

sorry dont understand hunting a bit cruel for me
hope the pigs win
I am all for hunting (done properly) it can be a great education. As long as the pig is eaten and its not just a trophy hunt* I think you are on higher ground than all the meat eaters that don't even like to see where their meat comes from let alone how it's killed.

As for cruel, from beginning to end I would say the wild pig has a better life (including being hunted) than your average farmed pig does from birth to slaughter. If you eat meat surely you should at least once in your life kill (preferably hunt as well), prepare (gut) and cook an animal just so you know what all those animals you have eaten have been through.

The exciting part of hunting something like a pig (even with a rifle) is that there is always a small chance it can win! Personally I don't have a problem with hunting if it is done responsibly, what ever being hunted isn't endangered, the prey is be eaten and the hunt party treats the local fauna + flora with respect (So I don't know about just getting in there and bludgeoning the pig to death - I might have missed something in the translation though, sounds slow, I think animals should be despatched as quickly as possible.) Doesn't always happen I know but that shouldn't take away from the Hunters who do things right.

DO IT! At least you will have the experience of what a pig goes through for us to eat it and if your hunt party aren't quite up to scratch hopefully you can enlighten them. If and I am sure they are then they should be able to teach you alot.

Good Luck!

Edit: *obviously hunts are also needed for killing nuisance animals such as those destroying crops, property, even maneaters! but this would normally be done by professionals and the animal not necessarily eaten.

Last edited by JakeG; Mar 7th 2007 at 8:18 am.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

There's an awful movie called Razorback you may want to watch first.

Or this pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/19052164@N00/194315084/ with only a bow & arrow between you....

WW
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:02 am

JakeG is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
There's an awful movie called Razorback you may want to watch first.

Or this pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/19052164@N00/194315084/ with only a bow & arrow between you....

WW
BLOODY HELL!!!

I remember seeing razorback when I was a kid thinking there was no way even a wild boar could be that big, obviously completely WRONG! that thing is huge. I have to say i fancy the pig's chances if you guys are just going to try to stick it with knife even if you were all going with swords I'd be worried!!

Youngy73, forget the knife if you are going after something like that you'll need a BFG! (NOT a big friendly giant). I hope your guys really know what they were doing!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'll put the SES on standby....we often have activations looking for lost pig-hunters!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:33 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been twice just last year, once with pig dogs and once with Lee Enfield 303's. The dog thing is not something I'll do ever again. It's akin to fox hunting. It's also very dangerous, the bloke I went with has been doing it since he was a young lad and has some terrible scars up his inner thighs caused by boar tusks. The very idea of chucking a leg over a huge wild pig while a couple of dogs hold it steady by the ears while you slit it's throat with something out of a Croc Dundee movie just didn't float my boat
I enjoyed the shooting, it's a much more humane method of controlling the wild pig population. I'll go and do that again standing on the back of an old Ute at 60 klms an hour over bushland was quite fun
Bow and arrow? Can he play the dueling banjo's?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Pig hunting is Glenn McGrath's favourite hobby. My mate at work goes pig hunting with a bow and arrow too.

I don't think it matters if you eat them or not, they are vermin and need eradicating along with dogs, cats, foxes, rabbits, goats, camels and donkeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.