Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pies, pies and more pies.

Pies, pies and more pies.

Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

confused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really nice
Default Pies, pies and more pies.

We have been out here over a week now and I can't get my head around the Australian phenomenon that is pies. I have seen people eating them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Living in SE of England I always had an aversion to pie and mash and I am gobsmacked to see so many pie shops here.

On the flip side coming from Cornish descent I do wonder whether there is an opening for a decent pasty!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:34 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pies, pies and more pies.

Originally Posted by confused.pom View Post
We have been out here over a week now and I can't get my head around the Australian phenomenon that is pies. I have seen people eating them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Living in SE of England I always had an aversion to pie and mash and I am gobsmacked to see so many pie shops here.

On the flip side coming from Cornish descent I do wonder whether there is an opening for a decent pasty!

Pies used to be the favourite food at sporting events, and considered an icon by some.
They were so popular years ago, that it was put into a commercial advertising GMH Holdens....
http://aso.gov.au/titles/ads/footbal...en-cars/clip1/..
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do start selling pasties don't forget to call them 'World Famous'. Every pie shop for miles down here seems to be the "xxx World Famous Pie Shop"

http://herecomesthefood.blogspot.com...-south-of.html
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:53 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Or a local pie shop with the slogan "buy one or we'll both starve"
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bloke View Post

Pies used to be the favourite food at sporting events, and considered an icon by some.
They were so popular years ago, that it was put into a commercial advertising GMH Holdens....
http://aso.gov.au/titles/ads/footbal...en-cars/clip1/..
Still being used by Wilson Holden in Albion Park at this very moment.... radio ads all the time with "football, meat pies, roos and Wilson Holden cars" !
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:14 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

You want genuin Cornish Pasties {tiddy oggie] you have to come to the Copper triangle area of south Australia , this whole area was settled by cornish miners , and their traditions still stand ....mm
Old Apr 11th 2010, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Just checking that this wasn't a thread about Collingwood - OK, as you were..
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

i had a cornish pasty from the english shop near wellington point near brisbane i think its called britain on the bayside they have a website. a nice english fish and chip shop next door. the pasty was quite nice as were the fish and chips but i wonder if the really were or if they were just that nice as i had a hankering for them.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:32 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of light

And why is it you can't get Chicken & Mushroom pies in Coles / Woolies, but Jesters, Pieface etc all see them?
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

We love football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars......

Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover View Post
You want genuin Cornish Pasties {tiddy oggie] you have to come to the Copper triangle area of south Australia , this whole area was settled by cornish miners , and their traditions still stand ....mm
I thought Tiddy Oggies were the Devon versions of Cornish Pasties.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:27 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
I thought Tiddy Oggies were the Devon versions of Cornish Pasties.
No tiddy oggie is definately the true Cornish pasty, but my father who was based in Plymouth ,[ british navy] all ways called them that.........mm