Pie in the sky?

Old Dec 15th 2004, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

robertian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pie in the sky?

Just returned home earlier this year after a whv in OZ, been home for approx 6 months. Whilst out there I met a fantastic girl also on a whv and we had a relationship and lived together in Sydney. We have since spent the 6 months apart, we kept in touch as much as we could and all seemed rosy with her until 1 week before she was due to fly home (end of Nov) to meet me. She basically told me that she didn't want to come back and that she wanted to try and get sponsorship in oz. However her whv visa runs out at the beginning of Jan and she can't find any work, she also doesn't have any money left, and says that she will re enter the country via NZ on a tourist visa in the new year to continue her search. How I believe that she's going to find it very difficult, she has also worked more than the required 3 months in one employment on her existing whv. I wish her all the best but can't help feeling that she's going to come unstuck somewhere, what are her options?
Old Dec 15th 2004, 2:15 pm
Professional Princess

Default Re: Pie in the sky?

Originally Posted by robertian
Just returned home earlier this year after a whv in OZ, been home for approx 6 months. Whilst out there I met a fantastic girl also on a whv and we had a relationship and lived together in Sydney. We have since spent the 6 months apart, we kept in touch as much as we could and all seemed rosy with her until 1 week before she was due to fly home (end of Nov) to meet me. She basically told me that she didn't want to come back and that she wanted to try and get sponsorship in oz. However her whv visa runs out at the beginning of Jan and she can't find any work, she also doesn't have any money left, and says that she will re enter the country via NZ on a tourist visa in the new year to continue her search. How I believe that she's going to find it very difficult, she has also worked more than the required 3 months in one employment on her existing whv. I wish her all the best but can't help feeling that she's going to come unstuck somewhere, what are her options?

Please do not take this the wrong way, but for someone who wants to stay in Australia, she is taking the biggest and most stupid risk by breaking the terms of her WHV.

If she gets caught, she more than likely will be deported and that could and probably affect future chances of applying for PR.

If I were her, I would either find another job she could do until her WVH runs out, or if not, and she has absolutely no survival money to live on, then I would come back to the UK to earn some.

There is an emigrate fair at Sandown Racecouse early next year, there will be shedloads of agents able to give her accurate advice on her career options.

But to break the conditions of her visa for a few extra quid, yes she will come unstuck and for the sake of a bit of quick cash, she will well and truly burn her bridges.

Good luck.

Old Dec 15th 2004, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Please do not take this the wrong way, but for someone who wants to stay in Australia, she is taking the biggest and most stupid risk by breaking the terms of her WHV.

If she gets caught, she more than likely will be deported and that could and probably affect future chances of applying for PR.

If I were her, I would either find another job she could do until her WVH runs out, or if not, and she has absolutely no survival money to live on, then I would come back to the UK to earn some.

There is an emigrate fair at Sandown Racecouse early next year, there will be shedloads of agents able to give her accurate advice on her career options.

But to break the conditions of her visa for a few extra quid, yes she will come unstuck and for the sake of a bit of quick cash, she will well and truly burn her bridges.

Good luck.

Yehh thats exactly what I thought. I've tried to talk some sense into her but she wants to take the chance, can she still get sponsorship or pr whilst on the tourist visa? What makes it worse from my point of view is that she's now living with an older ozzie bloke, who's she's only known for a few weeks. Apparently she's living rent free, must be a sugar daddy. I guess thats life eh!!!
Old Dec 15th 2004, 2:33 pm
Professional Princess

Yehh thats exactly what I thought. I've tried to talk some sense into her but she wants to take the chance, can she still get sponsorship or pr whilst on the tourist visa? What makes it worse from my point of view is that she's now living with an older ozzie bloke, who's she's only known for a few weeks. Apparently she's living rent free, must be a sugar daddy. I guess thats life eh!!!
On a 3 month tourist visa she cannot work at all, but as for putting the wheels in motion for a sponsorship, you would need to check that out.

Leave her to her own devices if I were you Rob.

hard to have sympathy with her, Im doing it the right way.

If she wants to risk deportation, then fine, but she'll be crying all the way to the UK if she gets caught.

One thing though, there is no way I would jump someones bones in return for free accommodation - thats if she is doing that.

Old Dec 15th 2004, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

On a 3 month tourist visa she cannot work at all, but as for putting the wheels in motion for a sponsorship, you would need to check that out.

Leave her to her own devices if I were you Rob.

hard to have sympathy with her, Im doing it the right way.

If she wants to risk deportation, then fine, but she'll be crying all the way to the UK if she gets caught.

One thing though, there is no way I would jump someones bones in return for free accommodation - thats if she is doing that.
Thanks for the advise, she seems a silly girl. What made it worse is that i've waited six months for her to arrive, I have one of her suitcases here waiting for her as well.

Whilst your talking, I'm thinking about applying for a pr but my job - construction estimator isn't on the list. I would imagine that this job is in high demand as it is in the uk. Basically is it a case of getting in touch with an agent?
Old Dec 15th 2004, 2:45 pm
Professional Princess

Thanks for the advise, she seems a silly girl. What made it worse is that i've waited six months for her to arrive, I have one of her suitcases here waiting for her as well.

Whilst your talking, I'm thinking about applying for a pr but my job - construction estimator isn't on the list. I would imagine that this job is in high demand as it is in the uk. Basically is it a case of getting in touch with an agent?

Yes I would get in touch with an agent, most offer free initial consultation.

And if your skill isnt on the list, depending on your age, consider retraining. Thats what I will do if Hubby gets refused.

Our agent is Alan Collette, www.gomatilda.com

Send him an email via his site and he will sort you out.

You do have to be prepared to struggle if you retrain, but a few years out of your life is nothing when you can live in the place you dream to call 'Home'.

Anyway, if it comes easy in life then you dont appreciate it!

Let me know what he says.

Sam

Old Dec 15th 2004, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Yes I would get in touch with an agent, most offer free initial consultation.

And if your skill isnt on the list, depending on your age, consider retraining. Thats what I will do if Hubby gets refused.

Our agent is Alan Collette, www.gomatilda.com

Send him an email via his site and he will sort you out.

You do have to be prepared to struggle if you retrain, but a few years out of your life is nothing when you can live in the place you dream to call 'Home'.

Anyway, if it comes easy in life then you dont appreciate it!

Let me know what he says.

Sam
Cheers Sam,

Have already sent the details today, also thinking about attending that emigrate fair at Sandown Racecouse, any further info?

Rob
Old Dec 15th 2004, 2:54 pm
Professional Princess

Cheers Sam,

Have already sent the details today, also thinking about attending that emigrate fair at Sandown Racecouse, any further info?

Rob

Have a search for 'Outbound Publishing', they will have the details of the next date at Sandown.

Went this year, was a bit overwhelming and we were tired from travelling.

I will go again next year and perhaps book a hotel so I wont be as tired.

Its worth going, you get loads of info too.

As I said though, it is overwhelming and many people go a second time to absorb more.