Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pie 'n' Mash in Melbourne ?

Pie 'n' Mash in Melbourne ?

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pie 'n' Mash in Melbourne ?

MY east end cockney geezer colleague from work is missing his pie 'n' mash and that dodgy green stuff that goes on the top. Would anyone know if there is a place in Melbourne that does the equivalent of good old east end pie 'n' mash ?

Cheers.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:46 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pie 'n' Mash in Melbourne ?

Originally Posted by haggis supper
MY east end cockney geezer colleague from work is missing his pie 'n' mash and that dodgy green stuff that goes on the top. Would anyone know if there is a place in Melbourne that does the equivalent of good old east end pie 'n' mash ?

Cheers.

Frasers house around 6pm on a Saturday evening.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is one in Melbourne at the moment, but it is something I have thought about starting up. Given that Aussies love pies (even though most taste like sweaty socks ), how do people think a pie 'n' mash place would go down here ?
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:57 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

I know a place in Brissy,does a fantastic scotch pie,chips & gravy,the owner makes all his pies,every kind you could imagine & some old favourites from back home,porkpies,scotch eggs,pork & egg loaf,ashet steakpies,even makes his own square sausage etc.. & they taste absolutely fantastic!!

Not that its much help to you being in Melly but if you ever visit Brissy check it out,its called Syd's Pie Factory.

Donna.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:09 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Haven't tried them put there was a place in Olinda that did pie mash and mushy peas 'pie in the sky' they didn't do Hollands Meat Pudding, chips, peas and gravy though,the only thing I truly miss ever so often with a Pint or Two of Draught Strongbow!

If you haven't been to Olinda it's well worth it if you ever get chance to get away for a childless night I can pass on the details to a lovely place we stayed at last time my parents came out. Not twee and florally, really modern, spa walking distance to restaurants backing onto countryside.

Have you got visitors with you at the moment? Were you at Beauy beach on Saturday? Heard a Scottish accent fitting the description you gave me with a little girl, younger boy and a (grandma - type looking lady!). I was sat in the car about for two minutes before I went back to the bedlam at my place. Love having visitors and wish my parents would extend for a few weeks but it was just one of those times I had to get out if you know what I mean!

I have the bright blue Jazz with a delightful jagged scratch all down the drivers door courtesy of the school holidays and Southlands carpark ...little buggers

Louise
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by madsad
I know a place in Brissy,does a fantastic scotch pie,chips & gravy,the owner makes all his pies,every kind you could imagine & some old favourites from back home,porkpies,scotch eggs,pork & egg loaf,ashet steakpies,even makes his own square sausage etc.. & they taste absolutely fantastic!!

Not that its much help to you being in Melly but if you ever visit Brissy check it out,its called Syd's Pie Factory.

Donna.
Hiya Donna,

I fully recommend Syd's Pies too, we go to get our square sausage and tottie scones for the Sunday Brekkie, tastes amazing, you would never know your eating them on the other side of the world, well apart from being able to sit outside with the sun shining on a hot sunday morning, mmmmm only thing missing is the morton rolls!!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:37 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floweroscotland
Hiya Donna,

I fully recommend Syd's Pies too, we go to get our square sausage and tottie scones for the Sunday Brekkie, tastes amazing, you would never know your eating them on the other side of the world, well apart from being able to sit outside with the sun shining on a hot sunday morning, mmmmm only thing missing is the morton rolls!!
i was reading this thead and thinking the same about the rolls. i think ill have a wee word in Syds ear
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
i was reading this thead and thinking the same about the rolls. i think ill have a wee word in Syds ear
Mortons rolls, now you are talking ! We got some square sausage from the British Butcher in Dandenong not long ago that was very good, but in a Mortons roll would be ideal.

Back to the Pie'n'Mash, anyone got a recipe for liquor ?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:16 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floweroscotland
Hiya Donna,

lol! or a couple of slices of Scottish plain bread-firey black crusts

Donna.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:17 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Donna.
oh oh, stop stop
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
Haven't tried them put there was a place in Olinda that did pie mash and mushy peas 'pie in the sky' they didn't do Hollands Meat Pudding, chips, peas and gravy though,the only thing I truly miss ever so often with a Pint or Two of Draught Strongbow!

If you haven't been to Olinda it's well worth it if you ever get chance to get away for a childless night I can pass on the details to a lovely place we stayed at last time my parents came out. Not twee and florally, really modern, spa walking distance to restaurants backing onto countryside.

Have you got visitors with you at the moment? Were you at Beauy beach on Saturday? Heard a Scottish accent fitting the description you gave me with a little girl, younger boy and a (grandma - type looking lady!). I was sat in the car about for two minutes before I went back to the bedlam at my place. Love having visitors and wish my parents would extend for a few weeks but it was just one of those times I had to get out if you know what I mean!

I have the bright blue Jazz with a delightful jagged scratch all down the drivers door courtesy of the school holidays and Southlands carpark ...little buggers

Louise
Louis - yep, it was me. I'll send you a PM.

To the rest, thanks for the comments and suggestions. Sounds like we need a Pie nMash shop in Melbourne. I'll PM Fraser to suggest a new role for him.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:17 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the old Pie N Mash too!
Used to be a regular Saturday lunch in Bethnal Green.

Reckon there is a need for one here but doin't reckon Aussies will go for it so limited audience.

Besides, a close friend of mine then worked in the local butchers that supplied the Kelly's chain and he told me exactly what meat they used. Trust me when I say it wouldn't be allowed over here! Even UK had to improve hence the pies are very different now to what they were 20 years ago (scarey stuff!)

Andrew
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andrew63
I miss the old Pie N Mash too!
Used to be a regular Saturday lunch in Bethnal Green.

Reckon there is a need for one here but doin't reckon Aussies will go for it so limited audience.

Besides, a close friend of mine then worked in the local butchers that supplied the Kelly's chain and he told me exactly what meat they used. Trust me when I say it wouldn't be allowed over here! Even UK had to improve hence the pies are very different now to what they were 20 years ago (scarey stuff!)

Andrew
Actually, I think it could be a goer, given the popularity of Harry's Van in Sydney where they serve pies with mushy peas, and I think mash (someone correct me if I am wrong). We used to live in Reading where we would go to Sweeny's, a place whose menu consisted of 12 - 15 different types of pie and they had a good selection of draught beer (ahh, memories ). A variation on the theme of pie, mash, and beer can't possibly fail can it ?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Donna.

Awww Donna how could you, just when I didn't think I missed the food at home too much, you had to mention the plain bread!!!!!