Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Picture of our latest visitor!

Picture of our latest visitor!

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Picture of our latest visitor!

This little guy came to visit on Friday, slept on the fence all night, wound the dog up on Saturday (he had a mean hiss on him!) and then ran across the road to take up residence in our neighbours tree.

He's a lace monitor, about 1 metre long, head to tail.

(ignore the date on the picture, camera playing me up....)
Attached Thumbnails Picture of our latest visitor!-000_0333.jpg   Picture of our latest visitor!-000_0335.jpg  
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Picture of our latest visitor!

mmmmmm... bush tucker
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gjn200
mmmmmm... bush tucker
Perhaps, if you could catch him first - ran at speed and had pretty sharp claws!
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steandleigh
This little guy came to visit on Friday, slept on the fence all night, wound the dog up on Saturday (he had a mean hiss on him!) and then ran across the road to take up residence in our neighbours tree.

We seen one of those when we were camping last weekend. Not too close though - it went up a tree at lightening speed. Was wondering what it was called - thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:41 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps, if you could catch him first - ran at speed and had pretty sharp claws!
Careful of getting scratched or bitten - I believe they have some very nasty bacteria in their claws and teeth.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Hes a big bugger. I bet your glad hes moved out!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:36 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulhill
Hes a big bugger. I bet your glad hes moved out!
They're Aus's second largest lizard after the Perenty.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tonyk38
They're Aus's second largest lizard after the Perenty.
Are you Tony the ornithologist? Or am I thinking of someone different?

EDIT: Just checked your profile - yes you are!!! I didn't realise you were moving to cairns?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:09 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you Tony the ornithologist? Or am I thinking of someone different?

EDIT: Just checked your profile - yes you are!!! I didn't realise you were moving to cairns?
Yep. Haven't seen any goanna/monitors yet this time around, but then I wouldn't expect them in Cairns North. I'm going down to Townsville next week. Hoping to see more wildlife on that visit.

I've just been for a walk on the esplanade and with practically no effort have just added 6 more species of birds to my list. The diversity here is very impressive!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:18 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Haven't seen any goanna/monitors yet this time around, but then I wouldn't expect them in Cairns North. I'm going down to Townsville next week. Hoping to see more wildlife on that visit.

I've just been for a walk on the esplanade and with practically no effort have just added 6 more species of birds to my list. The diversity here is very impressive!
i have seen one on the blue arrow
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by youngy73
i have seen one on the blue arrow
I did that walk two weeks ago and got soaked! Didn't see much because of the weather (other than a pair of displaying Cairns Birdwing Butterflies), but I know they're common around here.

I was in Cairns in '94, and saw three species of Goanna in the Cairns area (Sand Goanna, Spotted Tree Monitor and Rusty Monitor), so I'll just have to get out and about more, I guess.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:34 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

I did that walk two weeks ago and got soaked! Didn't see much because of the weather (other than a pair of displaying Cairns Birdwing Butterflies), but I know they're common around here.

I was in Cairns in '94, and saw three species of Goanna in the Cairns area (Sand Goanna, Spotted Tree Monitor and Rusty Monitor), so I'll just have to get out and about more, I guess.
also saw some long tailed paradise kingfishers for the first time on the blue arrow.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by youngy73
also saw some long tailed paradise kingfishers for the first time on the blue arrow.
Damn, I'm still looking for those, and they'll be off up to New Guinea soon... They really are stunning birds.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:04 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

What's the blue arrow...a walking track or something?
Can't wait to get there and see all the wildlife
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:16 am
youngy73

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
What's the blue arrow...a walking track or something?
Can't wait to get there and see all the wildlife
yep. walking tracks next to the botanical gardens. there is the red and blue arrow. i normally run a figure 8 loop between both tracks. can do it in under an hour if i push it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.