Picnic Day

Old Aug 1st 2005, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Question Picnic Day

I see on my calender that today is a bank holiday in NSW and ACT, but interestingly, well for me anyway, it is a picnic day in NT. This may be a daft question but I was wondering if anybody in NT could explain what this means. It sounds fun.

Katie
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:19 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Picnic Day

According to:

http://www.nt.gov.au/ntgovcgi/events...l?eventid=1120

PICNIC DAY is traditionally when the North Australian Railway closed and the staff travelled to Adelaide River for a Picnic Day.

HTH!

GG

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I see on my calender that today is a bank holiday in NSW and ACT, but interestingly, well for me anyway, it is a picnic day in NT. This may be a daft question but I was wondering if anybody in NT could explain what this means. It sounds fun.

Katie
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:28 am
ABCDiamond

When I was working in Sydney, in the late 80's, we had an official Picnic Day, and the majority of the company actually went out on a Picnic, everything supplied by the company

Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:45 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When I was working in Sydney, in the late 80's, we had an official Picnic Day, and the majority of the company actually went out on a Picnic, everything supplied by the company
We do still have picnic day where i work. Ours was only a few weeks back. These days there is no get together, people just enjoy a day off to do nothing. It is a bit old fashioned, like the tea ladies in my last job.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:50 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

The tea ladies in your last job were old fashioned?

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
We do still have picnic day where i work. Ours was only a few weeks back. These days there is no get together, people just enjoy a day off to do nothing. It is a bit old fashioned, like the tea ladies in my last job.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:35 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Geordie George
The tea ladies in your last job were old fashioned?
Weren't they just.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:54 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar

Katie

It is Darwin Cup day. Darwin Cup is run at 5.50pm EST so get yourselves down to the local TAB for a punt. If you are in a S-TAB area your minimum ticket cost also raises to $3 from today.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:12 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NJJ
It is Darwin Cup day. Darwin Cup is run at 5.50pm EST so get yourselves down to the local TAB for a punt. If you are in a S-TAB area your minimum ticket cost also raises to $3 from today.
I'd put my $10 on Patarchie.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all your replies. The north australian railway sounds like it was a great employer I think a picnic day is a great idea, great craic all round and now it has become the day of the Darwin cup. I don't bet on the nags not since my runner in the grand national had to be shot. I felt partly responsible
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:07 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

We should have a British Ex Pats day to.
Then we could all take the day off work & go for a BBQ.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bordy
Excellent idea And maybe being British, we should do it on the same day as the Queens Birthday, oops, we already get that day off don't we

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:41 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
That would be a superb day!

I just had my picnic day yesterday, I work currently for a bank and we actually had the 1st of August as a full holiday. It was the weirdest thing going having coffee while the kids went to school and everyone else to work. The starbucks was opposite the ANZ (not the bank I work for) and it was a right laugh watching people turn up and tut and get cross about it being shut!

It would have been a whole lot better if I could have gone to the pub with a 'heap' of expats - what is the collective name for a group of British Expats!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:41 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
- what is the collective name for a group of British Expats!
A whinge
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
A whinge
Good one!

Wish I'd thought of it