Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

picking where to live

picking where to live

Old Sep 16th 2007, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of
Default picking where to live

How did you pick where you wanted to live?
What did you keep in mind while picking?
I've decided Qld, but not sure where, all I know is that it needs to be sea side, good climate, no stupid house prices, and the town needs at least 20.000 people living there.
Any ideas? I have a few and would like to know if you come up with some of the same
Old Sep 16th 2007, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of
Default Re: picking where to live

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
How did you pick where you wanted to live?
What did you keep in mind while picking?
I've decided Qld, but not sure where, all I know is that it needs to be sea side, good climate, no stupid house prices, and the town needs at least 20.000 people living there.
Any ideas? I have a few and would like to know if you come up with some of the same
Its really hard deciding on where you will settle and we haven't made a proper decision yet. For ages we have been thinking that we'd head to Brisbane or the Gold Coast. We've visited the area and loved it, have some relatives living there and have done loads of research. We are also looking at Melbourne although we have never been there and can only do some research from here.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

anyone??
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:06 am
Banned

Aussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud of

This question comes up a lot, there is problem a few days reading on this

I would say money is one of the main deciding factors

What type of work you do, how much are property prices, What climate are you looking for.

Not wishing to sound rude but everyone has different wants and needs, think about yours and then do a reccie of the shortlist. Not rocket science
Old Sep 17th 2007, 9:07 am
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

Take a look at the sunshine coast it is amazing.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 11:17 am
Kate,Mark,Jack and Scott

sunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to all

we are thinking Brisbane, only because we have family and friends there, but will will be doing a recci beforehand just to make sure can't wait.
kate
Old Sep 17th 2007, 11:42 am
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

I would have thought that the primary consideration would have to be work. Some areas have less of a demand for certain skills that others.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Work and money for me, being a young dude.

The rest has to follow Im afraid.

Cant see the point going to a place if I can work, and earn.

But I am sure there a few pomms, with a few $$$ that dont need to worry about working.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have family in Sydney and melbourne, and i have lived in both places, I have decided Qld, but not quite sure where exactly. Were looking at Cairns, MB and Hervey bay.
Were looking for something on the coast, with still fairly low house prices and with at least 15000 or 20000 people, due to setting up own business.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:30 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

stuck a pin in the map and it landed on Melbourne....so Melbourne it is

lee
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Chippie Minton is an unknown quantity at this point

We're choosing where we've got friends, we can always move later if we want to
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We;re buying a campervan and touring for a couple of months until we hit paradise (or run out of our touring money fund)

We'll fly into Perth to start and stay there for a couple of weeks.. then either buy a campervan there (but will then be a huge drive to either Adelaide or Darwin depending on what direction we decide to go in!).. or fly to Cairns and buy a campervan there (or Melbourne again depending on where we start) and then just go up (or down) the East coast... Who knows?! We might just go back to Perth if that where we think that is where we will want to be!

The place we want to stay must match certain criteria... ability for me and OH to work (even for ourselves as self employed with our own business), a nice community feel, decent schools (for the kids) and affordable housing... other optional and "that would be nice" stuff would be fairly near to the beaches (but not too close) and up on a hill for a bit of a breeze if in Queensland..

Em x
Old Sep 17th 2007, 10:29 pm
Brisbane or bust!

Hooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by emelems
We;re buying a campervan and touring for a couple of months until we hit paradise (or run out of our touring money fund)

We'll fly into Perth to start and stay there for a couple of weeks.. then either buy a campervan there (but will then be a huge drive to either Adelaide or Darwin depending on what direction we decide to go in!).. or fly to Cairns and buy a campervan there (or Melbourne again depending on where we start) and then just go up (or down) the East coast... Who knows?! We might just go back to Perth if that where we think that is where we will want to be!

The place we want to stay must match certain criteria... ability for me and OH to work (even for ourselves as self employed with our own business), a nice community feel, decent schools (for the kids) and affordable housing... other optional and "that would be nice" stuff would be fairly near to the beaches (but not too close) and up on a hill for a bit of a breeze if in Queensland..

Em x
Hi
We're in Brisbane and love the city here! We travelled a few years ago (Perth, Cairns, Sydney) and decided on Brissie cos Sydney is EXPENSIVE, Cairns is just a little too far north, Perth was far too 'english' for us and Brissie was a good compromise. The 'River City' is beautiful and the surrounding areas are lovely too (we live in Redland Bay south of the city and just north of Surfers). No 'real'beaches where we are so once our lease is up we think we're going to head north to the Sunshine coast cos we REALLY liked it there!
Work has to be a consideration though and house prices around Brissie are going up like billy'o' so moving further away from the city/ inland is a good option for land prices/availability etc, but not necessarily for work.
Also bare in mind the work you do for getting it recognised to begin employment!! Each state requires you to register your trade/profession in different ways. I'm a teacher and had to wait 3 months to be registered to teach here(even though we came out here on my qualifications)! The OH is a gas fitter and did a quick interview and had his quals transferred! Other tradies we've met (chippies, sparkies etc) have had to go back to Tafe to transfer theirs, despite it being there quals that they came out on.
I would suggest spending some time looking around the areas when you get here. We didn't get the chance too much cos our container arrived 6 weeks after it left the Uk and we needed to find somewhere to live!!!
Good luck!
Lol
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

mattjam is an unknown quantity at this point

i met an English family in Hervey Bay last year,they had arrived from the UK and went straight to Sydney where they had family.They decided to drive up the east coast and find their perfect spot.They had aimed on making Cairns their home but thought it best to check everything out on the way.Anyway,their adventure took them to all those usual spots,sunny coast,gold coast,Brissy etc and then one day they trundled into Hervey bay.Well the car hadn't run out of fuel but they are still here-it sort of endorses the qualities this place has,the magical climate,the 14 km of cycle track along the unspoilt beaches and the wonderful views to fraser Island. an easy laid back lifestyle awaits and this is a place for the family,not necessarily going to suit a young trendy but trust me this place will not dissappoint-both my boys love it and would never want to leave Australia thats for sure.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

I can second all that has been said about the bay.

We came up here in May after spending 12 months in Adelaide. Unfortunately Adelaide was`nt for us, but the bay has everything we could ever want.

Deffinately not moving again, until the kids bugger off!!!

Angela

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.