Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pickfords shipping any comments please

Pickfords shipping any comments please

Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

deanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud of
Smile Pickfords shipping any comments please

Hi all, had pickfords round to quote to ship house contents to perth, looking at £5.000 with insurance we are impressed with there sales talk but has anyone any comments , ie good or bad, use or not use lol.
Price is for 3 bed semi told we would get it all in a 20ft container(sole use).
Anyone else have any good names we could ring for quotes.
CHEERS TRACEY & DEAN
XXXXX
Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pickfords shipping any comments please

Originally Posted by deanmhunt
Hi all, had pickfords round to quote to ship house contents to perth, looking at £5.000 with insurance we are impressed with there sales talk but has anyone any comments , ie good or bad, use or not use lol.
CHEERS TRACEY & DEAN
XXXXX
That sounds expensive! We used Pickfords and I think it was more around the £3000 mark. They were excellent though and we would certainly use them again! Can't help with other companies but I'm sure others can recommend some.
Good luck!
Ruth
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

charlie.no9 is an unknown quantity at this point

we had pickfords round today as well , they said it would be about 4500, and we have a 3 bed detached, we also had john mason amd bonner out today , so we might have got a cheaper quote because of the three of them competing, by the looks of it though , out of all the three , pickfords were the best by a country mile
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:56 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

CHEERS TRACEY & DEAN
XXXXX
Had Pickfords round for a quote, bloke spent 20mins with us assuming he was going to get the business, asked us nothing about our requirements whatsoever?!

20ft to Perth Pickford's price was around the 3700 mark, remember their insurance is new for old which is aabsolutely ridiculous unless you can afford it of course

Anyhow we used Overs of Camberley who have been top drawer so far (Our stuff leaves for Oz on Friday :scared: )

Overs were £3490 with 8wks free storage this side and 11 days free storage the other.

Heard a fair few bad packing stories involving Pickfords as well but as with everything I suppose it's luck of the draw
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:54 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we used pickfords and they were good....had a couple of breakages, but none of the cartons had been bashed so it was either customs that broke em as every box had been opened or the whole container was dropped when being loaded onto the ship(Ive heard thie is quite common) luckily we took out electrical derangement on the comp so we got a new one on the insurance..........insurance claim was very simple all done online and we got a cheque within 2 weeks. They first quoted 3.5% for insurance but I told em to bugger off so they reduced it to 3% not much off but better than nowt
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

My ONLY quote, but as the company comes pretty highly recommended, we're gonna use them! (John Mason)

Sole use of a 20ft container Herts - Gold Coast £3,750 ... which from what I've seen aint that bad.

OR! ... share a container for £3,490 ...
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Location: caerphilly, south wales, avonsleigh, melbourne as of 30/03/05!!!!
carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough

CHEERS TRACEY & DEAN
XXXXX
we used pickfords for our shipping early last year, i've got to be honest, i thought they were A1, we have no complaints at all, what tiped the scales for us was the fact that pickfords are based in melbourne too, so theres no sub contracting the work out this end, we had no breakages apart from a wheel missing off the computer desk!
good luck with the move

louise
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Pickfords - truly dreadful. Either do a search under my name or drop me a PM for further information. We had in excess of $15,000 worth of damage, all beds had water damage, they lost our air freight for 8 days, they broke and damaged some valuable and sentimental items etc etc etc.

Sales talk and initial meetings were excellent but preparation, packing and transfer was a shambles. 2 colleagues moved from the UK at the same time and had similar problems. Unprofessional and inadequate.

Australia side was great, UK side was dreadful. As I say drop me a PM for more info. I would never ever use them again.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Pickfords - truly dreadful. Either do a search under my name or drop me a PM for further information. We had in excess of $15,000 worth of damage, all beds had water damage, they lost our air freight for 8 days, they broke and damaged some valuable and sentimental items etc etc etc.

Sales talk and initial meetings were excellent but preparation, packing and transfer was a shambles. 2 colleagues moved from the UK at the same time and had similar problems. Unprofessional and inadequate.

Australia side was great, UK side was dreadful. As I say drop me a PM for more info. I would never ever use them again.
Bang goes the phone call tomorrow for a quote!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by carloubateman
we used pickfords for our shipping early last year, i've got to be honest, i thought they were A1, we have no complaints at all, what tiped the scales for us was the fact that pickfords are based in melbourne too, so theres no sub contracting the work out this end, we had no breakages apart from a wheel missing off the computer desk!
good luck with the move

louise
Allied Pickfords is actually a franchise. Although you think you are dealing with the same company in both countries, just wait until you get problems and see them blame each other! They have no finincial ties to each other. We found it almost impossible to make a claim for compensation off them because none of the franchises would accept they did anything wrong.

My experience with them could not have been worse. It was 9 years ago and I will never forgive or forget, ....should give you an idea of what it was like.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:24 am

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point

I rang Allied Pickfords two weeks ago for a quote and they said they would call me back or e-mail me with an appointment for an agent to come out and see us. No one has so far rung back and no e-mail has been received.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future

Hi,

We used pickfords to move us to the Gold Coast, the only thing I would say about them is timing is not like it says on the tin, we waited 14 weeks for our stuff to arrive. But besides that it was good service, goodluck.

Jo