British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Pickfords - Ombudsman? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pickfords-ombudsman-662921/)

Jen1977ni Apr 6th 2010 11:57 pm

Pickfords - Ombudsman?

Ok, long story short, we used Pickfords to ship our stuff from the UK to Australia, upon delivery it was discovered that two Ikea chest of drawers were damaged beyond repair:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40053930 < £85 in the UK

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40178614 < $299 in Oz

YES, THAT'S A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN PRICE!

Our insurance policy we took out was through Pickfords but supplied by a company with 'Marine' in their name, very vague I know but hey, the paperwork is somewhere lol The policy was to replace like for like, little did we know the difference in price out here for the exact same chest of drawers. Since contacting Pickfords about the damage they have said they will be dealing with the claim, as opposed to the insurance company, and have offered us £200, which obviously won't cover the cost of replacing both of the C.O.D. which would be around £365 to replace. Now I am also aware of quite a few other people at the moment, who were also ENS 120 people, sponsored by the same employer as us, and they too are being offered an awful lot less to replace their damaged goods, and are ALSO being told that the insurance company won't be dealing with the claim but Pickfords.

So my question is this, we are all getting very suspicious that Pickfords are doing something that's not quite above board, this is not just my conclusion, so, is there an 'ombudsman' that deals with the likes of these shipping companies? I have refused the £200 that we've been offered and am now waiting for a further offer, after which, if this is not suffice, I intend to take it further.

spalen Apr 7th 2010 12:21 am

Re: Pickfords - Ombudsman?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8477421)
Ok, long story short, we used Pickfords to ship our stuff from the UK to Australia, upon delivery it was discovered that two Ikea chest of drawers were damaged beyond repair:

Our insurance policy we took out was through Pickfords but supplied by a company with 'Marine' in their name, very vague I know but hey, the paperwork is somewhere lol The policy was to replace like for like, little did we know the difference in price out here for the exact same chest of drawers. Since contacting Pickfords about the damage they have said they will be dealing with the claim, as opposed to the insurance company, and have offered us £200, which obviously won't cover the cost of replacing both of the C.O.D. which would be around £365 to replace. Now I am also aware of quite a few other people at the moment, who were also ENS 120 people, sponsored by the same employer as us, and they too are being offered an awful lot less to replace their damaged goods, and are ALSO being told that the insurance company won't be dealing with the claim but Pickfords.

So my question is this, we are all getting very suspicious that Pickfords are doing something that's not quite above board, this is not just my conclusion, so, is there an 'ombudsman' that deals with the likes of these shipping companies? I have refused the £200 that we've been offered and am now waiting for a further offer, after which, if this is not suffice, I intend to take it further.

how about telling them either use the insurance company or refund the fee you paid to insure the goods + the 200 quid they offered

just hold firm write them a non-rude but firm letter requiring them to pay XXX pounds , or instruct the insurer within 7 days. Etc.

Howard Jenings Apr 7th 2010 1:00 am

You won't be able to go through an ombudsman until you have gone through BAR (British Association Removalists) contact them via their website, explain the situation, you will be assigned a case oficer who will look into it, if they get no where then they will refer it to the ombudsman, you will have to pay £200 for this to happen but if you win then you get it back!! It can all be doen via email.

Vash the Stampede Apr 7th 2010 1:22 am

While you're at it, ask the Ombudsman to deal with IKEA too! I can't believe the markup on those drawers, it's just outrageous!

:ohmy: :frown:

Jen1977ni Apr 7th 2010 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 8477614)
While you're at it, ask the Ombudsman to deal with IKEA too! I can't believe the markup on those drawers, it's just outrageous!

lol I know Vash, mental...

Not gonna contact anyone just yet, but just wanted to know who it would be that I'd contact in the event of getting nowhere with Pickfords...

ozhappy981 Apr 7th 2010 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8477421)

Pickfords about the damage they have said they will be dealing with the claim, as opposed to the insurance company, and have offered us £200.

The policy was taken out in the UK. If Pickfords are offering GBP200, which is more than the UK price of the goods, I can't see any Ombudsman giving you more. (If you study the small print of yoru policy it will say that like-for-like is based on UK prices.)

As for why you are dealing with Pickfords and not directly with the insurance company: Did you get the insurance "through" Pickfords?

My guess is that Pickfords - as many other large removal firms - are authorised to sell insurance themselves. The insurance will be underwritten by another company (the one with "marine" in the name ;)). But if Pickfords are the seller/provider of the insurance, that's why you are now dealing with them, not directly with the underwriters.

You can check if Pickfords provided the insurance themselves here: http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/
[Register is inavailable at the moment, because it's nighttime in the UK. But check the link when it's daytime in the UK.]

Fly Away Apr 7th 2010 2:28 am

I am guessing (and it is a guess) that Pickfords have offered you less than the insurance excess which they would pay if you claimed through the insurance company. As I say it's a guess as you may be liable for the excess. Get your papers out and read the fine print, see what Pickford's obligation is and what your obligation is. Good luck. :thumbsup:

EDIT as cross posted with Ozhappy. We claimed from our shippers through whom we had insured and the claim was sent to an external insurance company and dealt with entirely by them. It was however a different shipper so could be a completely different system and Ozhappy could be correct in this case.

bcworld Apr 7th 2010 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 8477614)

Par for the course with IKEA Aus...compare the ubiquitous NOT uplighter:

UK: £3.99

AUS: $18.99

ozhappy981 Apr 7th 2010 2:50 am

On Pickfords UK website it says: "Pickfords is authorised and regulated to sell financial services."

As I suggested above, that means that Pickfords are the "insurance company" and that is why you are dealing with them. (The company with "marine" in their name are the underwriters.)

It's like: You may have car insurance with Allianz. If you have a claim you deal with Allianz. But the underwriter will be another company. Their name will be in the small print of your Allianz policy but you will not have any direct contact with them.

irishbloo Apr 7th 2010 7:10 am

I have just got back from Ikea.Those chests are drawers are in their sale.

Jen1977ni Apr 7th 2010 7:28 am

Originally Posted by irishbloo (Post 8478112)
I have just got back from Ikea.Those chests are drawers are in their sale.

Ur jokin?! For how much!?

moneypenny20 Apr 7th 2010 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8478145)
Ur jokin?! For how much!?

Still more than 85 quid I should think :D

Jen1977ni Apr 7th 2010 7:44 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8478163)
Still more than 85 quid I should think :D

Hmmmmm I'd expect so, GRRRRR

Checked website, no mention of sale...unless it's just in WA?

soulrebel Apr 7th 2010 8:10 am

Hi Jen
We are using Pickfords next month. Can I ask how the damage happened or what was their excuse? Are items like that not strapped down and covered with blankets/fabric throws?
Did you have a container all to yourself?
Could I ask how much you paid for your insurance and did you have to list every item for insurance and was each box labeled with what was exactly inside?
Sorry for all the questions.:o
Cheers
Eamon

Jen1977ni Apr 7th 2010 8:18 am

Originally Posted by soulrebel (Post 8478217)
Hi Jen
We are using Pickfords next month. Can I ask how the damage happened or what was their excuse? Are items like that not strapped down and covered with blankets/fabric throws?
Did you have a container all to yourself?
Could I ask how much you paid for your insurance and did you have to list every item for insurance and was each box labeled with what was exactly inside?
Sorry for all the questions.:o
Cheers
Eamon

Both COD were wrapped in cardboard, no idea how damage occurred. We had a 20ft container on our own yes and I couldn't tell you how much the insurance was as our sponsoring employer paid for everything. We had to list everything but unfortunately listed them at UK prices so....

I see ur in Sydney, are you moving back to the UK?