Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pickfords as movers

Pickfords as movers

Old Apr 2nd 2002, 12:07 pm
ndaltonb

Default Pickfords as movers

Quick question because I see some people have had good expereinces with Pickfords.

Do they stil use casual lablour to pack and unpack?

We had a bad experience with Pickfords moving from SA to UK and wouldn't use them again. Problem was the packers and unpackers were not full-time employees and couldn't really care.

Has this changed?

Thanks

Nigel db

Old Apr 2nd 2002, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pickfords as movers

I'd be interested in experiences too, we've just had Pickfords quote for us, also waiting on a quote with Brittannia. Any others to be recommended? Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd 2002, 9:35 am
Helena

"ndaltonb" <[email protected]> wrote

> Quick question because I see some people have had good expereinces with Pickfords.
    >
    > Do they stil use casual lablour to pack and unpack?

Our move was almost 3 years ago ... both ends were Pickfords people, not casual.
Professional service for the most part, especially the packing and unpacking.

> We had a bad experience with Pickfords moving from SA to UK and wouldn't use them
    > again. Problem was the packers and unpackers were not full-time employees and
    > couldn't really care.

We didn't have that problem. The problem we did have was with the "overflow". 95% of
our shipment fit into a 20ft container. The rest had to go separately into another
container that was full of other overflow & small shipments apparently. The main
shipment arrived early here in Perth and was unpacked. A few breakages but other than
that, it was fine.

The overflow was ... well, nowhere to be found for a while. A bit of a worry, since
the overflow contained kitchen necessities for us to cook and eat. After 3 days of
hearing "it's on its way", I phoned the Vancouver office (where we moved from) and
asked them to track it down since the lady in the office there was one of those
super-efficient types. If anybody could track our pots and pans down, I knew it would
be her. Sure enough, two hours later she found it had arrived in Sydney (we're in
Perth), at least 10 days earlier. Sydney warehouse claimed they didn't know who the
stuff belonged to since the paperwork "went missing". Well, considering each and
every box and item was marked clearly with our surname and "Perth" on them, well,
DUH! maybe they were destined for ... um, Perth maybe???

Apparently this can be a fairly common problem with partial shipments. They contract
that out usually to whoever's got room in a container. And that leaves loads of
opportunity for communication breakdowns, "missing paperwork" and lots of
finger-pointing, or for it to get completely lost I've heard. One of the reasons we
went with Pickfords was because they had offices at both ends and we were told it's
best to deal with a company like that versus a company that would send the container
off with another company, who in turn might contract that out to someone else. We
were told dealing with one company was the best way. Considering how our main
shipment went, I suppose it proves that theory. And how the overflow went, with
having it contracted out to another company, proved it even further.

We eventually got our overflow. It had to go by train from Sydney over a week later
(they didn't give us priority which I reckoned they should have, considering their
stuff-up). Had to send photocopies of each and every page of our passports to the
Sydney Customs people. It was a big drag, and extra expense and time and
inconvenience. Not happy, Jan! I wrote a long letter to their head office outlining
how they could do things better in future and how vastly superior the Vancouver staff
was compared to Sydney's.

Moral of the story is: take the whole container to yourself. If you're over a bit,
try to pare your belongings down to one container and no overflow. If you can't, make
sure the necessities are not in that overflow. Had I known, I would have sent the
lawnmower, outdoor furniture and other less crucial things in the overflow. And then
if things stuff up, be prepared to get on the phone and badger people. Don't accept
excuses or airy-fairy assurances - "oh, it's on its way".

So I don't know if that's a reason for us to not use Pickfords again in the future
but we were a bit turned off by the lack of efficiency with that overflow. I suppose
it depends on the luck of the draw. If that lady in Vancouver had been working in the
Sydney office, I bet she'd have known where that overflow was. Maybe Sydney's too
busy, or maybe the staff there at that time just didn't have what it takes.

Good luck,

Helena

Old Apr 3rd 2002, 2:23 pm
ndaltonb

Thanks Helena.

I'll keep your tips re overflow and offieces either end in mind.

Nigel db

Old Apr 4th 2002, 10:35 am
Pread

Can I ask what the quote was for a container from the UK to Oz by Pickfords ? Also,
I've heard that partial containers can be almost as expensive sometimes as full
containers - any truth to this ?

Cheers, Paul.

Old Apr 5th 2002, 9:35 am
Helena

"pread" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Can I ask what the quote was for a container from the UK to Oz by
Pickfords
    > ? Also, I've heard that partial containers can be almost as expensive sometimes as
    > full containers - any truth to this ?

Yes. I forgot exactly how much we paid for the overflow shipment but it definitely
wasn't proportional to what we paid for a whole container. The Pickfords people even
said partial shipments weren't as good a deal as a whole container.

Good luck,

Helena

Old Apr 8th 2002, 10:50 am
Daves

just had a friend who moved with Pickfords from the UK and she couldn't speak more
highly about their service.

I on the other hand used Radford International Movers a few years ago and had a
terrible experience - definitely one to be avoided.

"Jacqui" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I'd be interested in experiences too, we've just had Pickfords quote for us, also
    > waiting on a quote with Brittannia. Any others to be recommended? Thanks.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 10th 2002, 11:30 am
A+V Johnson

We are moving to Brisbane Very soon and have had many people into quote but we have
settled on one company that we are happy with and that is PSS they seem to know their
stuff and are very helpful and reasonable in there price. Roni "Helena"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "pread" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Can I ask what the quote was for a container from the UK to Oz by
    > Pickfords
    > > ? Also, I've heard that partial containers can be almost as expensive sometimes
    > > as full containers - any truth to this ?
    >
    > Yes. I forgot exactly how much we paid for the overflow shipment but it definitely
    > wasn't proportional to what we paid for a whole container. The Pickfords people
    > even said partial shipments weren't as good a deal as a whole container.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Helena

Old Apr 10th 2002, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point

First post on here and very nervous and excited as we received our Visa 22nd March and our passports are as we speak on their holidays being stamped as such!!
Please can anyone advise? We are in the throws of packing our belongings to go into storage pending the big move in January 2003.
We are packing with a view to it staying packed until we go, i.e. packing as if we are going now.
Is it a problem that we are packing oursleves and not get the professionals to do it for us.
Everything is labelled with a detailed list of contents, along with age and value.
Any replies would be much appreciated
Old Apr 15th 2002, 10:28 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

we moved uk to brisbane and used PSS. the packers were self employed conrtactors but excellent. we had 1 tiny breakage although this could well have been due to the guys at the oz end who were no where near as careful.

one point worth mentioning - we stupidly did'nt put a contact number in Oz on the form so they could'nt contact us when the stuff arrived and ended up in a bonded wearhouse until we were available to complete the custom and quarantine forms about 7 days later - it was also over xmas & new year which did'nt help things.

It was a pity they did'nt give these to us at the Uk end as it would have saved us about $750 of fees. It was our fault for not putting the contact number on there but worth mentioning for others.