Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pickfords likely to go bust....

Pickfords likely to go bust....

Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pickfords likely to go bust....

While everyones talking about shippers ..has anyone heard of Movecorp, as we are booked with them and i'm a tad worried as noones heard of them ..
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
Right have cancelled Pickfords and arranged John Masons to come around on Friday to do the collection.

Have had to pay £295 cancellation to Pickfords and John Mason are about £300 more than what Pickfords quoted us but if it gives us some peace of mind then I dont care.

Going to have a beer tonight now
Why dont you hold off on paying the cancellation fee - after all if they are going down......
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by warponydestroyer
Why dont you hold off on paying the cancellation fee - after all if they are going down......
Ive already paid for the move, they will refund minus the cancellation.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:48 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mands
While everyones talking about shippers ..has anyone heard of Movecorp, as we are booked with them and i'm a tad worried as noones heard of them ..
I havent heard of them personally but perhaps others have.

We used Freedom Shippers and they sent someone from Seven Seas removals round.

Very organised so far, good communication. Our stuff isnt on the ship yet but we shall see how it goes.

Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

seamus3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I havent heard of them personally but perhaps others have.

We used Freedom Shippers and they sent someone from Seven Seas removals round.

Very organised so far, good communication. Our stuff isnt on the ship yet but we shall see how it goes.

non bonded - very cheap prices - buyer beware
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TMRE
Just a thought but has anyone checked the insurance they took out, might have something in there that covers this?.
You need the BAR Overseas Bond - not the domestic one - anything else is not worth the paper it's written on - trust me, I have moved 16+ times internationally.

This excludes people like 7 Seas, Frredom, Movecorp and the like.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
They have released a statement on their website

Following an article in the Times on 13/2/08:
"Business continues as usual at Pickfords and Allied Pickfords. The company is continuing to serve its customers without interruption, and its agreements with employees and all other business partners remain intact.

Our parent company SIRVA is evaluating options for its U.K. moving business, including a sale. As the company considers its options, it is placing a high priority on ensuring that the company’s customers will continue to be serviced as they always have and employee jobs are preserved.

It is important to understand that SIRVA is still in the process of reviewing its options for the U.K. business and no course of action has been decided upon. If and when the company decides to move forward with a sale, a public announcement will be made."
Reassuring....
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Don't blame you for going crazy......I'd be totally hysterical in your situation right now!!!
Wondering if the contract you signed would still be valid if a new buyer took the company over though? And would the new buyer agree to deliver all containers already en-route?
Hope things work out for you, I bet you're not the only one affected with this!!!
Beth x x
Sorry haven't read all threads but wondered if you paid by Barclaycard or visa?? Isn't there a guarantee with them?
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

We used Davis Turner (well company paid)..very 'expensive'...no, I will say a higher price than many suggest on here is usual, but you sometimes get what you pay for.

But everything was excellent..and their fee included ALL charges in Oz.

Last edited by Red_V_Roger; Feb 13th 2008 at 11:34 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Sorry haven't read all threads but wondered if you paid by Barclaycard or visa?? Isn't there a guarantee with them?
Its probably not going to be a lot of use if overseas suppliers haven't been paid by Pickfords. Yes, you would probably get your money back, but it wouldn't help you get your container.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:42 am
Just Joined

peter thomas is an unknown quantity at this point

I am glad we used Britannia Bradshaw at manchester they were great:

peter
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:59 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
We used Davis Turner (well company paid)..very 'expensive'...no, I will say a higher price than many suggest on here is usual, but you sometimes get what you pay for.

But everything was excellent..and their fee included ALL charges in Oz.
thats why the price was a bit more.

good idea though, will consider that for when we move!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:05 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seamus3
non bonded - very cheap prices - buyer beware
Holy cow, I just went on recommendation from here and never checked. How stupid do I feel.

It did only cost us £217 to ship our boxes - nothing valuable in them but would be annoying if anything happened.

I couldnt understand why seven seas picked up our stuff and not the company we booked.

Oh well, just have to pray I suppose.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:09 am
Just Joined

KingGussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peter thomas
I am glad we used Britannia Bradshaw at manchester they were great:

peter
Hi Peter Glad they did a good job for you. I have found over the years( I was born in hong kong and lived in middle east and far east and now move back and forth between OZ and UK every 2 to 3 years) that a cool head is the best approach.

Currently living in Somerset and I am getting the local office of Britannia Movers (Britannia Lanes) to ship us to Perth next month.

They did the import of our stuff 2 years ago and did a fantastic job nothing too much trouble. They have told me all about the customs and fee expectations and prep work needed on going into Oz ( great as I though I Knew as much as they did, i didn't)

These guys are worth checking out as they have offices everywhere..........

Try www.britannia-movers.co.uk

Good luck guys and keep a cool head......Panic never solves anything.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:12 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

When Anglo Pacific rang me to say they didn't come as far as South Wales to ship, the lady said just make sure you use a company with the Bar Overseas Bonded logo so you know you are protected.
Hope my sister gets her container now......Pickfords shipped it in December!!!
Beth x x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.