Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pickfords likely to go bust....

Pickfords likely to go bust....

Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:09 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pickfords likely to go bust....

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Wondering....if the company did go into liquidation (like a certain christmas saving club did) and if they have your container, could they sell your stuff to help recover any debts?
It doesn't bear thinking about really......but I certainly wouldn't risk using them now!!!
Beth x x
no, because the stuff inside the container is still legally yours but they could sell the container itself
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

seamus3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would worry what would happen if they can't find a new buyer and they do go into liquidation? What happens to your container then?
Beth x x

Stuck on the wharf somewhere - happened with a cheapo operator called Cargo forwarding a few years back - took people 3 years to get their stuff back in some cases.

I'd be very careful who I shipped with right now - only use a BAR Overseas bonded operator which is big in the Australian market. That cuts it down quite a pit. Leaving out ************** and PSS mentioned above I would say that probably leaves a choice of 3 or 4 - John mason, Robinson, Excess International and Intradene.

Oh and anyone using 7 Seas - note they are NOT bonded, at all, despite all the huffing and puffing they do - lost 4 boxes of mine 2 years ago and still no payout.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Wondering....if the company did go into liquidation (like a certain christmas saving club did) and if they have your container, could they sell your stuff to help recover any debts?
No the goods never belong to them they are only moving them for you, my issue is what happens if they cant pay shipping lines etc and our stuff gets caught in the middle....
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:11 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
no, because the stuff inside the container is still legally yours but they could sell the container itself
Too many 'what ifs' for my liking now. Really hope things turn out good for you though Ianhutch1........I really feel for you
Beth x x
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

seamus3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
Helpful comment that one you idiot Companies get bought out every single day thats just business.

Im in touch with a solictor as we speak for some proper legal advice.
I am not as stupid as you think I am. When shipments are strung out across the world it's a different story - and it didn't help my sister-in-law who was a customer of Cargo Forwarding a few years back. It took her 9 months to get her stuff.

If you haven't shipped international before you have a lot to learn, Sir.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Wolfman is on a distinguished road

Yeah I know....we had quotes off PSS too....but some people told me to avoid them as items were damaged in transit and poorly packed.
Anglo Pacific and Crown didn't come to South Wales :curse:
Time to re-think our plans!!!
Beth x x
Hi Beth,

We are just in process of booking shippers too, we are in South Wales & Crown do come to south wales, we have had a quote from them.
Try John Masons too, guy is based in Bristol from memory, so not far. We know 2 people who have used PSS emigrating to Oz, no problems & they were quite comparable. we just ran out of time, getting quotes, as its all happening so fast! Its a nightmare who to trust with your goods, in todays climate who knows who is next to go under!. We have decided on John Masons, fingers crossed they dont go bust too, they are due on the 28th.
Now I'm wondering if its also worth insuring shipping costs too, as I notice that is also an option on the insurance form I am just completing....

Jackie
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future

Oh S**t they are at my house right now loading up. Andy
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:20 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seamus3
I am not as stupid as you think I am. When shipments are strung out across the world it's a different story - and it didn't help my sister-in-law who was a customer of Cargo Forwarding a few years back. It took her 9 months to get her stuff.

If you haven't shipped international before you have a lot to learn, Sir.
Really hope things don't get out of hand on here.......way too stressful without temperatures rising

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Hi Beth,

We are just in process of booking shippers too, we are in South Wales & Crown do come to south wales, we have had a quote from them.
Try John Masons too, guy is based in Bristol from memory, so not far. We know 2 people who have used PSS emigrating to Oz, no problems & they were quite comparable. we just ran out of time, getting quotes, as its all happening so fast! Its a nightmare who to trust with your goods, in todays climate who knows who is next to go under!. We have decided on John Masons, fingers crossed they dont go bust too, they are due on the 28th.
Now I'm wondering if its also worth insuring shipping costs too, as I notice that is also an option on the insurance form I am just completing....

Jackie
Thanks Jackie, Anglo Pacific rung me to say they didn't come to S Wales, and someone mentioned that it was too far for Crown too, so I didn't bother to ring them.
PSS and Pickfords have been to my house..........both seemed quite cocky to be honest.........but everything seemed above board.
Will def contact Crown and the one Seamus mentioned above.
Beth x x
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:21 pm
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by flapsterhp
Oh S**t they are at my house right now loading up. Andy
GET SOMETHING IN WRITING OFF THEM QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beth x x
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

John Masons have just called me, they are obviously taking advantage of the situation. They can do the collection on Friday but from looking through my T&C's with Pickfords we are liable for 50% of the cost of the job if we cancel now.

Totally no idea what to do that is a hell of a lot of money to lose !!!

Last edited by ianhutch1; Feb 13th 2008 at 1:31 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Wolfman is on a distinguished road

Really hope things don't get out of hand on here.......way too stressful without temperatures rising

Thanks Jackie, Anglo Pacific rung me to say they didn't come to S Wales, and someone mentioned that it was too far for Crown too, so I didn't bother to ring them.
PSS and Pickfords have been to my house..........both seemed quite cocky to be honest.........but everything seemed above board.
Will def contact Crown and the one Seamus mentioned above.
Beth x x

Yes I thought Pickfords guy very cocky too, & gave me all the 'sales patter' the reason we didn;t choose them actually...phew! OH dealt with PSS guy so cant comment. John masons guy very nice, no bullsh*t and fancy folders, just did his job, gave good advice and left. I can dig out his card if you want. pm me.
Crown, fancy files too...but they were very proffessional & offered excellent service just to ££££ for us.

Jackie
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:33 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

John Masons have just called me, they are obviously taking advantage of the situation. They can do the collection on Friday but from looking through my T&C's with Pickfords we are liable for 50% of the cost of the job if we cancel now.

bloody hell
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

If the company does go into liquidation you might not get the other 50% back

Last edited by bubblegum_babe; Feb 13th 2008 at 1:46 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future

Just rang them, they assured me everything is o.k. a lot of the shipping companies are in the same boat apparently, they told me that they used Pickfords as an example as they are the most well known. Anyway it's too late for me as they ar nearly done so fingers crossed. Andy
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

They have released a statement on their website

Following an article in the Times on 13/2/08:
"Business continues as usual at Pickfords and Allied Pickfords. The company is continuing to serve its customers without interruption, and its agreements with employees and all other business partners remain intact.

Our parent company SIRVA is evaluating options for its U.K. moving business, including a sale. As the company considers its options, it is placing a high priority on ensuring that the company’s customers will continue to be serviced as they always have and employee jobs are preserved.

It is important to understand that SIRVA is still in the process of reviewing its options for the U.K. business and no course of action has been decided upon. If and when the company decides to move forward with a sale, a public announcement will be made."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.