Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pickfords just been to quote - please read

Pickfords just been to quote - please read

Old Apr 6th 2004, 4:13 pm
Go Banana's !!

Exclamation Pickfords just been to quote - please read

Just to let you guys know that the Pickfords chap has just been . He told us that we can't take our hands free home phone, as the signal that it transmits is the same as the OZ emergency services and we would be well and truely shot !:scared: Aparently that goes for all UK hands free home phones.

He also said that it's highly likely that anything feather filled will have to be fumigated, which includes our sofa, duvets and pillows.

I'll put the prices up when the quote comes.

One down 3 to go !

Cheers
Jill

Old Apr 6th 2004, 4:58 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

great stuff. I need to start getting my head round the packing problems. please keep us posted.

cheers.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Fumigated :scared:

Has anyone else had to have their feather bedding fumigated?

What does this involve?

Thanks
Old Apr 6th 2004, 5:55 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by gdcollectables
Fumigated :scared:

Has anyone else had to have their feather bedding fumigated?

What does this involve?

Thanks
Apparently it's steamed with a gas that kills mites/bugs/anything not native (wonder if that includes Poms) etc.
It's not a dead cert it would happen but it's likely

Jill

Old Apr 6th 2004, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

We have had 3 removal companies in and non have mentioned this - perhaps mr mover will be able to clear it up!!!

pockygoes
Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:03 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pickfords just been to quote - please read

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!

He also said that it's highly likely that anything feather filled will have to be fumigated, which includes our sofa, duvets and pillows.
We used Pickfords & we brought over a heap of feather filled stuff - sofa, duvet, pillows - & they never had to be fumigated. Never heard of anyone elses feather stuff being fumigated either. Suggests that, unless its a new thing, the guy was probably talking out of his hat .
Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:22 pm
knc
Just Joined

knc is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to let you guys know that the Pickfords chap has just been . He told us that we can't take our hands free home phone, as the signal that it transmits is the same as the OZ emergency services and we would be well and truely shot !:scared: Aparently that goes for all UK hands free home phones.

One down 3 to go !

Cheers
Jill
HI JILL
We moved over in sep 03 and used pickfords they were great, They told us the same about the feathers. WE MOVED FROM NOTTINGHAM,it may be they was better informed.
would i use them again (yes)

Our boys brought there phones over and had them changed it cost 50 dollers.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:27 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by knc
HI JILL
We moved over in sep 03 and used pickfords they were great, They told us the same about the feathers. WE MOVED FROM NOTTINGHAM,it may be they was better informed.
would i use them again (yes)
Did you actually have to have them fumigated, or did they just tell you about it?
Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:54 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

One down 3 to go !

Cheers
Jill

I went the whole hog and got 9 quotes before we left. We used PSS as they wer the best informed and had a good feel about the representative. They were great They were also the second cheapest they were on time they gave me a tracking system to see where the boat was Kents at this end were marvellous and at both ends the actuall staff were perfect. We brought over lots of feather stuff with no hassles whatsoever and no fumigation. Our only cost additionally to the standard one was to destroy an icecream box which I had inadvertently packed with had 'opened' food items in it - baking powder, curry powder yeast and etc. All other items I brought in the food and spice line were passed as they were not opened. BRING YOUR MAYONAISE the australian kind is YUK full of sugar.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

lynsie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pickfords just been to quote

Hello All,

We also have had Pickfords out today at 4pm, we live in Whitley Bay, he also mentioned to me about the feathers in the duvet etc.
When are you looking to leave and have you had your visa awarded? My husband, son (aged 5) and myself have booked our flights for 28th April 04. Starting to get really excited, because once the flight are booked you know that its not long.

Lynsie
Old Apr 7th 2004, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

We used Pickfords to move all our stuff out here, which was delivered a month ago and when we got quotes, we were not told about the feather thing and nothing got checked at all.

Pickfords were good, no damage, quick delivery and reasonably priced.

Regards
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

cuthere is an unknown quantity at this point

We got lots of wooden furniture and 2 removal companies have advised that the whole container be fumigated (at country of origin) after being packed - cost of USD100, but warned that the fumigation must be done by a company that is recognised in Oz. If fumigation is recommended, go for it - it is not supposed to be expensive and should be cheaper than if the Oz quarantine inspectors insist that you have to do it when it reaches Oz.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:26 am
rudo1ph

Hi

We brought in heaps of wooden furniture - we'd been living in Singapore and bought it all there, and were advised it would have to be fumigated....

It wasn't! I think the removal companies have to inform you that this may happen, but it doesn't always.

Good luck with the move. We've been here 6 months now and love it......but it's getting a bit chilly now!

Rudi

Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:03 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya
The removals companies tell you about things that MAY be fumigated or steam cleaned...it is then your choice whether you take them and pay for it to be done...or you leave the stuff behind
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Jaykay
We used Pickfords to move all our stuff out here, which was delivered a month ago and when we got quotes, we were not told about the feather thing and nothing got checked at all.

Pickfords were good, no damage, quick delivery and reasonably priced.

Regards

I was quoted 34 days sailing by Pickfords. In your experience, was this about right or was it longer ? (They start packing next Tuesday)

My boys will be desperate for their skateboards/guitars !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.