British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Pickfords!!**?q)) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pickfords-%2A%2A-q-224497/)

clevs Apr 16th 2004 4:18 pm

Pickfords!!**?q))

Well I have just had to men in suits come to my house and quote for door to door to Adelaide. They sat down, gave me the patter looked at the boxes, ummed and arred a little and came up with £800.00.

I laughed he wasn't impressed I said I will only pay £600.00 for what I want to ship.

He did the "look at my file trick with his colleague" and then agreed.

They wanted me to sign on the dotted line there and then, tried to undermind me with two kids running about the house, prob that I was a thick housewife.

You know this is why I am leaving this country to live in Oz.

Just because I need to ship this items these companies think that they can pull the wool over our eyes and charge exactly what they want.

Well I ain't havin it.:confused:

I am now annoyed and a wound up Housewife:mad:

Shalln't be using them!!!!!!!!:zzz:

ianj Apr 16th 2004 4:25 pm

I could be wrong but I expect you get exactly the same sort of goings on in Oz.

Everybody is human, generally out to make money (especially business') and so bet you get the same wherever. If I am wrong then please all you guys in Oz tell me. I would love to hear that estate agents, removals guys, mechanics, electricians, plumbers, builders etc etc are all good clean honest people in Oz.......but I feel that ain't gonna to happen.

Damn those rose tinted......they have never worked. ;)

lon2mel Apr 16th 2004 4:25 pm

you cant go to far wrong with diy-ing it your self.if u measure up the boxes, a company can give u a quote,
good luck

clevs Apr 16th 2004 4:31 pm

Originally posted by ianj
I could be wrong but I expect you get exactly the same sort of goings on in Oz.

Everybody is human, generally out to make money (especially business') and so bet you get the same wherever. If I am wrong then please all you guys in Oz tell me. I would love to hear that estate agents, removals guys, mechanics, electricians, plumbers, builders etc etc are all good clean honest people in Oz.......but I feel that ain't gonna to happen.

Damn those rose tinted......they have never worked. ;)

yeah i know it just seems to happen here more.....

clevs Apr 16th 2004 4:32 pm

Re: .

Originally posted by lon2mel
you cant go to far wrong with diy-ing it your self.if u measure up the boxes, a company can give u a quote,
good luck

I am going to try this, I have emailed you..... thanks Lara

scottalison6 Apr 16th 2004 4:34 pm

how much you taking?

cheers

scott

clevs Apr 16th 2004 4:37 pm

Originally posted by scottalison6
how much you taking?

cheers

scott
only 32 boxes to be precise. Not much at all.

Lara

Bix Apr 16th 2004 5:56 pm

Originally posted by clevs
only 32 boxes to be precise. Not much at all.

Lara
If you flat pack the boxes you can bundle them up and get an even cheaper deal :D

jasper pentop Apr 16th 2004 10:35 pm

Hiya
Pickfords quoted me £700 for 70cubic feet, and i said I was expecting only 3- 400 and they dropped the quote to £500 when I got the letter... just proves you can always bargain them down. The first price is only the jumping block!

biggy Apr 16th 2004 10:47 pm

Originally posted by Bix
If you flat pack the boxes you can bundle them up and get an even cheaper deal :D

LMFAO like it

biggy Apr 16th 2004 10:50 pm

I had the bloke out from Pickfords....................he was superb....asked me what i wanted to take......then told me what better to leave behind.......no hard sale......no "Oh u need to take our insurance" top class bloke.................£1700 for 380 cubic feet and they reduced the insurance by 0.5% ........................good luck

mr mover Apr 17th 2004 1:15 am

Re: Pickfords!!**?q))

Originally posted by clevs
Well I have just had to men in suits come to my house and quote for door to door to Adelaide. They sat down, gave me the patter looked at the boxes, ummed and arred a little and came up with £800.00.

I laughed he wasn't impressed I said I will only pay £600.00 for what I want to ship.

He did the "look at my file trick with his colleague" and then agreed.

They wanted me to sign on the dotted line there and then, tried to undermind me with two kids running about the house, prob that I was a thick housewife.

You know this is why I am leaving this country to live in Oz.

Just because I need to ship this items these companies think that they can pull the wool over our eyes and charge exactly what they want.

Well I ain't havin it.:confused:

I am now annoyed and a wound up Housewife:mad:

Shalln't be using them!!!!!!!!:zzz:
now you have to watch for the 200quid ,in Hidden costs.............:D :beer: MM

clevs Apr 17th 2004 10:15 am

Re: Pickfords!!**?q))

Originally posted by mr mover
now you have to watch for the 200quid ,in Hidden costs.............:D :beer: MM
lets watch them try:mad: