Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Physiotherapist skills assessment.

Physiotherapist skills assessment.

Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

gotnoidea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Physiotherapist skills assessment.

Anyone had any experience of the Physiotherapy skills assessment exams? I recently got a postive skills assessment so will be applying shortly for a 47 visa, however my wife is getting more and more stressed at the thought of trying to find work in Australia as a physio. Can't say I blame her: written exams that no one seems to know anything about followed by a clinical examination... is this because its so difficult no one ever does it?!!

any help or contacts in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Rich
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

kelly robinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Physiotherapist skills assessment.

Originally Posted by gotnoidea
Anyone had any experience of the Physiotherapy skills assessment exams? I recently got a postive skills assessment so will be applying shortly for a 47 visa, however my wife is getting more and more stressed at the thought of trying to find work in Australia as a physio. Can't say I blame her: written exams that no one seems to know anything about followed by a clinical examination... is this because its so difficult no one ever does it?!!

any help or contacts in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

Hi there I am about to do the same thing! Did your wife sucessfully complete her exams? How did you get you skills assessment ? I do not fancy the idea of doing the exams. Have you heard a way round it by getting registration in new Zealand first ?

Kelly
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

gotnoidea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Physiotherapist skills assessment.

Originally Posted by kelly robinson
Hi there I am about to do the same thing! Did your wife sucessfully complete her exams? How did you get you skills assessment ? I do not fancy the idea of doing the exams. Have you heard a way round it by getting registration in new Zealand first ?

Kelly
yes, you can go to NZ for about 6 mths, get your registration and then automatically get the Aus registration. I wonder if that really is easier than doing the exams?!

In our case I am the main applicant, so my wife will do the clinical exams in Australia once I have found a job there. If you work in Victoria you can work there for 12 months legallly without getting the full registration, however the catch 22 is that you need a work visa to do it. It's an absolute minefield. Ideally I want to go to Syndey, so I need to ring the NSW physio association to see if my wife can work temporarily the same as you can in Victoria. I have rung them before and the woman I spoke to was very helpful.

I'll let you know if we get any further, but as my application has only just gone in, it could be another 9 months before I get my answer!

All the best. Richard.