Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Photography course - Brissy Tafe

Photography course - Brissy Tafe

Old Nov 9th 2010, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Aimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really nice
Default Photography course - Brissy Tafe

Hi,

I'm looking for a little feedback about a Tafe Photography course in Brisssy. Both the Southbank and Metropolitan tafes offer the Cert IV, followed by the Diploma, but can't decide on which one to choose.

I have contacted both and each sounds ideal, but was wondering if one had a better reputation than the other?

I'm hoping someone might have an idea regarding this.

Regards
Aimy
Old Nov 9th 2010, 2:34 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Photography course - Brissy Tafe

Tafes are pretty much the same. There standards are well regulated by the federal government.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Aimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really nice

Yeah, I had a slight feeling they would be.

My only concern is that the Southbank tafe was asking for a portfolio while Metropolitan south wasn't, which made me think standards were different.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aimy
Yeah, I had a slight feeling they would be.

My only concern is that the Southbank tafe was asking for a portfolio while Metropolitan south wasn't, which made me think standards were different.
I think all the TAFE campuses in Brisbane are split between Metropolitan South and North except Southbank which manages itself.

In case you don't know - Southbank is a great location if that helps. Beach, cafes, markets, events etc. Lots of trains, buses and citycats stop there as well. Metropolitan South has more suburban campuses so would be in a very quiet location with not much off campus but houses - but easy to get to if driving and live on the south side.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Found some quotes that may interest you:

"Southbank Tafe is great, best photog cousre in Qld is Toowoomba Tafe with Doug Spowart and Vicki. "

"Yeah unfortunately it doesn't look as though the part time course at South Bank TAFE is running at the moment. I have found a part time Cert IV available through Metropolitan South TAFE which i'll look into - just depends on entry requirements again and whether a portfolio is essential."

"I did a short course through work at Southbank TAFE a while back, and the teachers I had were great, although one now lives in Ireland. I've heard a lot of claims that the Ultimo TAFE course in Sydney is the best in the country (mostly from the graduates, so I don't know how useful that is), so TAFE can definitely give the results."

"I've been talking to the guys at Metropolitan South TAFE regarding the part time Cert IV and unfortunately the one thing I had neglected to consider in exploring courses here is that technically speaking I count as an 'International Student' - as such, the cost of the part time course is in excess of $11,000."

(http://www.brisbanephotography.com/p...14625&p=110345)

And these:

"Doug Spowart would easily be the greatest photography lecturer in Aust, he works out of the Toowoomba Tafe, is the head of photography education Aust and just gives so much. He has an amazing dedication to his students and his students have a very high rate of transfer from student to working pro. You'd be surprised how many photography students either drop out or end up working outside photography. "

"South Bank Tafe also has a pretty dedicated staff in the Photog discipline. Their equipment is very up to date and a couple of the lecturers ran their own businesses prior to teaching which is also a bonus."

"Also I'd like to give a big thumbs up to the South Bank Tafe - who again have a fabulous team of dedicated staff, and superb facililities."

"I've personally wanted to do a diploma in photography at southbank tafe ever since I did my diploma in visual arts there in 2004-05. I found the staff excellent and all were practising artists themselves, with a keen interest in the business of art."

(http://www.brisbanephotography.com/p...st=0&sk=t&sd=a)