Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Phones/ Internet in rural Oz

Phones/ Internet in rural Oz

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 7:36 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold
Default Phones/ Internet in rural Oz

As the phone and internet service is a bit limited in Oz to the main cities and towns what do people do in the middle of nowhere? Do they just pay 1000's of dollars to get connected or do they use satellite phones or something else?

If anyone could give me info on satellite phones/ internet providers for SA I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Sasha
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:18 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Phones/ Internet in rural Oz

Originally Posted by snappy
As the phone and internet service is a bit limited in Oz to the main cities and towns what do people do in the middle of nowhere? Do they just pay 1000's of dollars to get connected or do they use satellite phones or something else?

If anyone could give me info on satellite phones/ internet providers for SA I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Sasha
My neighbours in the western Blue Mountains (a couple of hours from Sydney CBD) have satellite Internet access. They paid for the dish, and installation, and pay around (from memory) $19 a month for unlimited download. Bondipom is the one to talk to about this - he's got all the websites and info to hand. Maybe a PM is in order?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:35 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by downunderpom
My neighbours in the western Blue Mountains (a couple of hours from Sydney CBD) have satellite Internet access. They paid for the dish, and installation, and pay around (from memory) $19 a month for unlimited download. Bondipom is the one to talk to about this - he's got all the websites and info to hand. Maybe a PM is in order?
Thank you so much I'll send Bondipom a message now

Sasha
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:39 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snappy

Thanks

Sasha

I took my laptop around australia to some quite remote parts last year and was able to access my ISP (bigpond at the time) through most, if not all places there was a phone line to connect up to. Speeds were a bit slower out in remote places but I could still check emails etc.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

We have friends up in Curra (20 minutes north of Gympie - quite rural) and they had to go with ISDN as Broadband was not available.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:28 am
I need a beer.....

Originally Posted by NJJ
I took my laptop around australia to some quite remote parts last year and was able to access my ISP (bigpond at the time) through most, if not all places there was a phone line to connect up to. Speeds were a bit slower out in remote places but I could still check emails etc.
Thanks for the replies. The last option would be getting a normal ISDN line but I just hate the thought for a couple of reasons

a. the cost - we were quote $70,000 for power to the place :scared:
b. the fact that there will be no other cables running across the land and I would hate to dig it up and spoil it all.

So I'll check out the satellite options first before going down that route

Thanks again though

Sasha