Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Phone and Internet- what's the best deal?

Phone and Internet- what's the best deal?

Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:50 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phone and Internet- what's the best deal?

Renting from my mum and taken over her phone and just had a bill for 212.54 for ONE month

HELP! I want to be able to call the UK and NZ for decent lengths of time and also to use the internet a fair bit and have change from $100 a month. Am I dreaming???

What do you do/use?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Re: Phone and Internet- what's the best deal?

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
What do you do/use?
I use naked iiNet with VOIP, 5c/min to UK & NZ.

I also use a Three mobile $49 cap with $100 international calls included. This is enough that I don't use the VOIP for international.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:12 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
I use naked iiNet with VOIP, 5c/min to UK & NZ.

I also use a Three mobile $49 cap with $100 international calls included. This is enough that I don't use the VOIP for international.
Thank you for replying but I'm so sorry but I don't understand your answer

I'm really quite untechy and I don't know what VOIP, iiNet or a Three mobile is/are Shall go and see if google can shed light ....
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:01 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I'd also recommend iiNet.

Have a read here until someone else comes with an easy to understand explanation on it all http://www.iinet.net.au/geekspeak/#w...naked-dsl.html

I pay $70 a month for more than enough internet access which is both fast and always available. Calls to the UK cost 5c a minute.

There is a multitude of other options, all with different levels of saving money, but iiNet has about the best reputation for being reliable while saving you money.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Whirlpool has good forums http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ who can put you on the right track.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Thank you for replying but I'm so sorry but I don't understand your answer

I'm really quite untechy and I don't know what VOIP, iiNet or a Three mobile is/are Shall go and see if google can shed light ....
VOIP = Voice Over Internet Protocol.

VOIP means you no longer need a landline telephone from someone like Telstra. You use your broadband internet connection to make phone calls either with an adapter between your phone & your internet hardware or using a software phone (a program you install on your computer).

iiNet = A broadband internet supplier in Australia.

Three mobile = a mobile phone provider in Australia like Vodafone, Optus, Telstra, etc.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Yep, I'd also recommend iiNet.

Have a read here until someone else comes with an easy to understand explanation on it all http://www.iinet.net.au/geekspeak/#w...naked-dsl.html

I pay $70 a month for more than enough internet access which is both fast and always available. Calls to the UK cost 5c a minute.

There is a multitude of other options, all with different levels of saving money, but iiNet has about the best reputation for being reliable while saving you money.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on iinet naked. So no need for landline backup ?
P.S. my mobile copped it in the river, whenre can I get the best mobile deal - just want to buy the phone and go 'naked' payg
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:08 am
---

OK, that looks brilliant, exactly what I'm after but I put my phone number in (I'm in Newcastle, NSW) and it said no can do

Anybody know of similar that I could use here?

Thanks people so far- that is exactly what we could do with!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

I am thinking of signing up with iinet broadband too but not sure what GB to go with. Intersted to know what limits others have and what you use your quota on; I dont really download any tv shows but possible would on the odd occasion but do look at youtube quite a bit, I would appreciate others input. Thanks.

Last edited by easty1976; Mar 12th 2009 at 1:10 pm. Reason: Asked a question I subsequently found the answer to!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:16 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by easty1976
I am thinking of signinworry too much g up with iinet broadband too but not sure what GB to go with. Intersted to know what limits others have and what you use your quota on; I dont really download any tv shows but possible would on the odd occasion but do look at youtube quite a bit. Also does anyone watch the premier league on iinet and does this count towards your quota and if so how much does it use? I know a lot of questions there but would appreciate others input. Thanks.
Watching live Premiership football on iiNet or anything else that they provide to you as a member doesn't count towards your quota.

I've got the Homeplan 3 (15GB peak, 20GB off peak) and find it ample for daily personal and business use for the two of us, plus also downloading movies from time to time. Anyway, you can easily upgrade or downgrade whenever you want and without charge so don't worry too much about picking the right plan from the start.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Watching live Premiership football on iiNet or anything else that they provide to you as a member doesn't count towards your quota.

I've got the Homeplan 3 (15GB peak, 20GB off peak) and find it ample for daily personal and business use for the two of us, plus also downloading movies from time to time. Anyway, you can easily upgrade or downgrade whenever you want and without charge so don't worry too much about picking the right plan from the start.
Cheers for your response! Found the answer to the football question hence my editing. Yeah think I will just take the plunge and just sign up as you say can always change it if it is not suitable. Thanks again.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Renting from my mum and taken over her phone and just had a bill for 212.54 for ONE month

HELP! I want to be able to call the UK and NZ for decent lengths of time and also to use the internet a fair bit and have change from $100 a month. Am I dreaming???

What do you do/use?
Look at AAPT website - they have a deal at the moment I think $109 for phone, net & mobile. May or may not be what you are after.

Julie
Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Joe10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Exetel Landline
Exetel ADSL 2
66GB monthly download
30 Free sms
$65

Pennytel Voip
$5 per month
80 free calls
50 free sms
8 cents untimed per call to 70 countries
free pennytel to pennytel
Old Mar 14th 2009, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

jimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to all

this is the company I use to phone international
very easy to use, just have to type in your phone number, then number to call. your phone rings, then connects you to you call. Extremely cheap calls, although costed in Euro, although seems to be based in UK

http://www.voipbuster.com/en/phone-to-phone.html
Old Mar 14th 2009, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend iinet to, I use it with a naked package which gives 60gb download I think it is.

International calls I use skype, through the pc with a headset I can see exactly how much I am spending, watching it tick down and can call normal home land lines in the UK easily

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.