British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   phone cards (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/phone-cards-195739/)

claireg3 Dec 8th 2003 7:51 pm

phone cards

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations as to which pre paid phone cards to use for phoning from Australia to Uk (for us) and UK to Oz (for the in laws).

Cheers

Claire:)

ABCDiamond Dec 8th 2003 10:03 pm

Re: phone cards

Originally posted by claireg3
Does anyone have any advice or recommendations as to which pre paid phone cards to use for phoning from Australia to Uk (for us) and UK to Oz (for the in laws).

Cheers

Claire:)
Hi Claire

There are a multitude of cards available over here, and I have noticed that they advertise the rates very clearly, so it is easy to choose the right one.

With phoning from UK to OZ, have you looked at One Tel ? Use your normal phone, and dial an override code.

Pollyana Dec 8th 2003 10:19 pm

For UK to Oz, www.swiftcall.co.uk is also very good. I had problems getting a line with Onetel sometimes, but swiftcall were very good.

janeyray Dec 8th 2003 11:21 pm

I use 'Go Talk' to phone the uK. It's only 2.5 cents a min.

I used Telstra when we first arrived which was $5 for up to an hour even if you were only on the phone 10 min!!!!!! :rolleyes:

renth Dec 8th 2003 11:52 pm

Originally posted by janeyray
I use 'Go Talk' to phone the uK. It's only 2.5 cents a min.

I used Telstra when we first arrived which was $5 for up to an hour even if you were only on the phone 10 min!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Has anyone here tried these cards and given up with them because they are too much hassle?

I'm convinced I was being charged more than the rate advertised, cards ran out a lot quicker than they should. and I don't mean we just got carried away, not realising how long we were on the phone for.

A $10 card ought to last 6 1/2 hours but never did. Plus the quality of the line, which I guess was voice over IP, was crap.

My wife refuses to use these cards so we stick to Telstra, it's about 10 cents a minute.

janeyray Dec 9th 2003 12:02 am

Originally posted by renth
Has anyone here tried these cards and given up with them because they are too much hassle?

I'm convinced I was being charged more than the rate advertised, cards ran out a lot quicker than they should. and I don't mean we just got carried away, not realising how long we were on the phone for.

A $10 card ought to last 6 1/2 hours but never did. Plus the quality of the line, which I guess was voice over IP, was crap.

My wife refuses to use these cards so we stick to Telstra, it's about 10 cents a minute.
Must admit we sometimes have trouble getting through. It can be engaged for ages at popular times. Haven't had problems with the line though.:)

NoodleSYD Dec 9th 2003 12:03 am

I use Alpha Telecom, I think it's 4 cents a min to the UK from here. Just as clear as a normal phone line, never had any problems . You prepay and your bill is on the net. You just dial a 4 digit override from your home phone or an access number + pin if you're somewhere else (much like all the others I'm sure)

Jirrupin Dec 9th 2003 1:04 am

We have a "Victory" phone card, cost $20 and has lasted for hours. Also been told the ones from the post office are really good, line quality was excellent only had a few times when the access number was engaged.

bondipom Dec 9th 2003 1:31 am

I might try that voice over ip thing now I am on broadband. Anyone know of something better than net meeting for doing calls over the net?

NoodleSYD Dec 9th 2003 3:37 am

If you have an apple and they have an apple Ichat AV is unbeatable. It's as good as video (not jerky) and the sound is very clear - no echo

Originally posted by bondipom
I might try that voice over ip thing now I am on broadband. Anyone know of something better than net meeting for doing calls over the net?

ButtonMoon Dec 9th 2003 8:23 pm

Go Talk is the best I've found.I've tried a heap of others and this one is the cheapest.You can also use it to make cheap calls interstate and std calls

Don Dec 9th 2003 8:41 pm

Nope - we use Kia Ora all the time for international and national calls outside Dunedin (though on our home phone deal with Telecom, local calls are free) - we save maybe 90% on calls and have never had any problems. NZD20 gets you about 150 mins NZ-UK.

southerner Dec 10th 2003 7:34 am

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Nope - we use Kia Ora all the time for international and national calls outside Dunedin (though on our home phone deal with Telecom, local calls are free) - we save maybe 90% on calls and have never had any problems. NZD20 gets you about 150 mins NZ-UK.
Ditto on Don's comments. We use kia Ora and it is easy to keep a tab as they tell you how much talk time you have at the start of each call (after you have dialed say the UK).