Phone Cards

Old Aug 19th 2002, 2:35 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phone Cards

There is a link on the travel page which is very interesting - I know some of you know this but I phone back to the UK on these cards (I use Apple) as well we have been very pleasantly surprised at the cost 5 cents for 1 min, I can chat for a fairly long time comfortably (hours in my case) - Anyway I have a general question what are your recommendations for the best rates for people calling Aus from the UK. I have heard different things but would love to be able to recommend some of the best options to family and friends.

Many Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2002, 2:37 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone Cards

Originally posted by Sandra:
There is a link on the travel page which is very interesting - I know some of you know this but I phone back to the UK on these cards (I use Apple) as well we have been very pleasantly surprised at the cost 5 cents for 1 min, I can chat for a fairly long time comfortably (hours in my case) - Anyway I have a general question what are your recommendations for the best rates for people calling Aus from the UK. I have heard different things but would love to be able to recommend some of the best options to family and friends.

Many Thanks
Dozy Mare! I forgot the link http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...referrerid=528

Old Aug 19th 2002, 4:06 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sandra.

Leaving aside the debacle of One.Tel's demise in Australia, for calls to Australia from the UK (and probably within the UK as well) I'd look at One.Tel, which is now (I believe) part of Centrica:
http://www.onetel.co.uk

Best regards.

Originally posted by Sandra:

Many Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2002, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

I am with Alan on this one. I have used onetel for years and have no problems to report. 3p per min is good enough for me

Yvonne

26 days til we leave, 28 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
Hi Sandra.

Leaving aside the debacle of One.Tel's demise in Australia, for calls to Australia from the UK (and probably within the UK as well) I'd look at One.Tel, which is now (I believe) part of Centrica:
http://www.onetel.co.uk

Best regards.

Old Aug 19th 2002, 9:51 am
Ian Guy

How much is it to phone the UK from Ozzie - here in NZ it is NZ$8 for 2 hours (they
recently reduced the time from 6 hours!!) at off peak times.

"Alan Collett" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Sandra.
    > Leaving aside the debacle of One.Tel's demise in Australia, for calls to Australia
    > from the UK (and probably within the UK as well) I'd look at One.Tel, which is now
    > (I believe) part of Centrica:
    > http://www.onetel.co.uk
    > Best regards.
    > Originally posted by Sandra:
    > > There is a link on the travel page which is very interesting - I know some of you
    > > know this but I phone back to the UK on these cards (I use Apple) as well we have
    > > been very pleasantly surprised at the cost 5 cents for 1 min, I can chat for a
    > > fairly long time comfortably (hours in my case) - Anyway I have a general
    > > question what are your recommendations for the best rates for people calling Aus
    > > from the UK. I have heard different things but would love to be able to recommend
    > > some of the best options to family and friends.
    > >
    > Many Thanks
    > --
    > Alan Collett of Go Matilda,
    > http://www.gomatilda.com
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 19th 2002, 12:46 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Telephone calls to the UK from Australia

Depends who you use. I now have pre-selection with AAPT Smartchat who charge A$2.50 max for the first half hour for calls to a UK landline or mobile (although I think they have recently withdrawn the special deal for calls to mobiles for new subscribers).

Here's their website:
http://www.smartchat.com.au/

Telstra and Optus have special deals as well, but for me AAPT's rates work best.

Links to all the main Aussie telecoms companies are here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/personal_is...coms Companies

Best regards.

Originally posted by Ian Guy:
How much is it to phone the UK from Ozzie - here in NZ it is NZ$8 for 2 hours (they

Last edited by Alan Collett; Aug 19th 2002 at 12:59 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2002, 11:55 pm
Gone Senile Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ian Guy:

Using an Apple calling card - cause I am in rental accommodation and after paying so much for phone to be installed didn't want to go buggering around with changing lines till we are sure we know what is best for us, internet double line etc. The apple card costs me 0.05 a min - so approximately $3 an hour to phone UK and of course the 0.18 cents local call connection. Not bad at all. I was looking to see if anyone knew of any local UK calling cards that operating that way not everyone wants to change their phone just to be able to call us.