Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Phone calls back to the UK

Phone calls back to the UK

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Phone calls back to the UK

Who do you use ??
Just tried to speak with Go talk who we have used for years to find out what number we can call when we are travelling round Australia.
The guy was in the Phillipines and had no idea about Australia and the geography.
Will get on Skype soon but not practical on the road.....
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone calls back to the UK

Originally Posted by melaniee
Who do you use ??
Just tried to speak with Go talk who we have used for years to find out what number we can call when we are travelling round Australia.
The guy was in the Phillipines and had no idea about Australia and the geography.

From a mobile or landline?

Mobiles I use Vodaphone, just a prepay sim card. I can top up with $20 and it lasts a hour to a mobille (vodafone) in the UK.

Or I used to use a daybreak calling card - costs something like half a cent per minute from a landline and you can buy them from any newsagency or online (just google it)
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Landline.

Originally Posted by Wendy
From a mobile or landline?

Mobiles I use Vodaphone, just a prepay sim card. I can top up with $20 and it lasts a hour to a mobille (vodafone) in the UK.

Or I used to use a daybreak calling card - costs something like half a cent per minute from a landline and you can buy them from any newsagency or online (just google it)
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Landline.

I used these to find the best deals, and also bought from them too.

http://www.ozprepaidcards.com.au/

I now use just Optus at 2.9c per minute because I can't be bothered typng all the numbers in
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:38 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Landline.
skype. Bought Voip phone, and pay nothing calling from skype to skype (computer to computer if they are online) and bugger all calling through my computer to homephones and mobiles back in Finland (around Xmas made 7 VERY long calls for around $10 to Finnish mobiles). With good Voip phone and broadband, quality is better than calling from my mobile to the same phones. Saves me a fortune.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:02 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Who do you use ??
1300 GOTALK is the number to use
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:04 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I got one of those cards before I got the telstra - pay 10 dollars and get your international calls really cheaply approach

I programmed the long number in on a quick dial then all I had to do is dial the area code and number when it told me

Also with those cards you can tie them to your phone number so you dont need the number anyway and then when you are out and about you just use the number

I had a green card - was happy
Vivienne
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:09 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I use an internet phone connection.

$20 a month for broadband and unlimited landline calls anywhere in the world.

I think it is Bigpond

G
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

johnokiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been trying REBTEL as our modem is not VOIP enabled

Currently rate on offer is 0.013/min

Getting a new number to use for each contact takes a bit of getting used to though!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:36 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by viviennef
I got one of those cards before I got the telstra - pay 10 dollars and get your international calls really cheaply approach

I programmed the long number in on a quick dial then all I had to do is dial the area code and number when it told me

Also with those cards you can tie them to your phone number so you dont need the number anyway and then when you are out and about you just use the number

I had a green card - was happy
Vivienne
We used to use cards until I discovered the phone plan with Telstra.

We pay $10 a month for the international value pack. For this we get calls for 2 cents a minutes (plus 39 cent connection fee). We also get a $10 credit for the calls.

You can get the package for $5 a month but then you don't get any credit. So I pay the $10 because I know I'll use it.

http://www.telstra.com.au/homephone/...alue_pack.html

I just noticed it says available until June 30, 2009 (unless extended). I hope they don't cancel it!!!

I definitely pay less on this plan than I did using the phone cards, but that's just me. Also my calls are usually at least 30 minutes long so the I don't mind the connection fee too much. What I really like is no extra numbers or pins!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:49 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Go Talk is the same company as Day Break.....each Capital City has it's own local access number. You'll find them on the flyer found in Post Offices etc. You just phone the local number for wherever you are, then put in your 12 digit code and away you go

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:51 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnokiwi
We've been trying REBTEL as our modem is not VOIP enabled

Currently rate on offer is 0.013/min

Getting a new number to use for each contact takes a bit of getting used to though!
Well regarless of my modems, I plug in Voip Phone to laptop and get dialling through skype, if not calling from skype to skype, you just enter country code and phone number, INCLUDING area code and off you go, works perfect. My USB Voip phone is cheapie and still works well, the phone in question A-Link USB VoiP Phone.
As for Skype calling rates to normal phones from Oz http://www.skype.com/intl/en/prices/callrates/
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:06 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I considered this plan but decided agains because of the followign:

1) connection fee means you can use 39c to reach an answering machine
2) I believe the $10 credit expires on a monthly basis.

Daybreak cards expire I think on a 90 day basis and have no connection fee so I find these cheaper. HAve just joined SKYPE so may use that instead from now on

Originally Posted by comet555
We used to use cards until I discovered the phone plan with Telstra.

We pay $10 a month for the international value pack. For this we get calls for 2 cents a minutes (plus 39 cent connection fee). We also get a $10 credit for the calls.

You can get the package for $5 a month but then you don't get any credit. So I pay the $10 because I know I'll use it.

http://www.telstra.com.au/homephone/...alue_pack.html

I just noticed it says available until June 30, 2009 (unless extended). I hope they don't cancel it!!!

I definitely pay less on this plan than I did using the phone cards, but that's just me. Also my calls are usually at least 30 minutes long so the I don't mind the connection fee too much. What I really like is no extra numbers or pins!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:18 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jayr
I considered this plan but decided agains because of the followign:

1) connection fee means you can use 39c to reach an answering machine
2) I believe the $10 credit expires on a monthly basis.

Daybreak cards expire I think on a 90 day basis and have no connection fee so I find these cheaper. HAve just joined SKYPE so may use that instead from now on
Well like I said, it works for me.

I don't mind the connect fee because I'm usually on the phone for quite some time!

Yes the $10 credit/fee does expire monthly. Again, no problem for me because I made loads of calls and usually manage to charge about $20-30 in phone calls. I call both my parents several times a week (divorced) as well as my in-laws. So I definitely make use of it.

If I only used it casually I would have stuck with the phone cards as they would make more sense then.

I had a quick look at Daybreak and it appears to be 4 cents a minute during regular times. Although if you call at the off peak time 2am-6am you can get the advertised rate of 0.5 cent per minute.

Last edited by comet555; Jan 23rd 2009 at 1:22 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:03 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

All my phone needs are covered by our voip account:

https://www.mynetfone.com.au/offers/...neosaver-plan/

$5 a month and for that I get:
Australian Mobiles for 15c/minute
60 Free untimed calls a month (including to UK and 29 other countries) and after that:
10c Nationwide untimed
2c/minute to UK

I dont think we've ever paid for a call to UK and often chat for an hour or so with folks back home.

Of course in order to do this you need a VOIP convertor. I paid $60 for ours 3 years ago - but if I was getting one now I'd get a slightly different box so I could keep my myfoneaccount and its Australian DID number AND have a sipgate.co.uk account to get a FREE UK DID number so that folks could call me from home for a local call.

Last edited by DadAgain; Jan 23rd 2009 at 2:12 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.