Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Phone Bill Help Please

Phone Bill Help Please

Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phone Bill Help Please

Just received our bill from Optus and there's $50 worth of metered call charges and I haven't a clue what they are.

I have a separate list for national calls and have spoken to Optus who have said that they need to request a itemised list from Telstra to find out what the calls are but ultimately I can't prove that I didn't make them so the bill still stands.

Anyone have any ideas what they could be, there just under a heading (Metered Calls (Other Provider)). Apparently I made 115 of these calls between 22 Jun and 12 Jul but we only use the phone about once a week and have an International phone card for all UK calls, help!!!!!

Has anyone else had a similar problem.

Rachel
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone Bill Help Please

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
Just received our bill from Optus and there's $50 worth of metered call charges and I haven't a clue what they are.

I have a separate list for national calls and have spoken to Optus who have said that they need to request a itemised list from Telstra to find out what the calls are but ultimately I can't prove that I didn't make them so the bill still stands.

Anyone have any ideas what they could be, there just under a heading (Metered Calls (Other Provider)). Apparently I made 115 of these calls between 22 Jun and 12 Jul but we only use the phone about once a week and have an International phone card for all UK calls, help!!!!!

Rachel
Did you have dial up internet at all? Could be a connection charge everytime you logged onto internet??
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:16 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Rachel
Hi Rachel

We or more wife was supposed to be looking into this as well. We have a fixed monthly charge for broadband so it should not come into the equation.

All our international calls are through work and we usually text with PAYG or use work mobiles.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Did you have dial up internet at all? Could be a connection charge everytime you logged onto internet??
We had dial-up Internet for about a week, but those calls are listed in the national calls section. The dates don't match either, we've had broadband for a few months and these calls are for the same time period.

I've also been charged for an 042367REV number, I don't have a clue what that is either.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:45 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Phone Bill Help Please

Rachel
Well, you already know that they're not local calls, because local calls aren't metered - so that's one option to strike off the list.

I suggest you get hold of that itemised bill and go through it with a fine toothed comb. Identify any numbers that aren't familiar (such as the 042367REV number) and request an explanation. At the very least, you have a right to know the details of your bill. At the very most, you may be entitled to some compensation.

I once recouped around $72 after Telstra stuffed up some changes to my phone plan and charged me dozens of $ for calls which should have been free. It was extremely gratifying.

Metered calls logged as "other provider" are usually calls made through a different company by entering a certain prefix before dialling. Do you have any arrangements of this type? If not, or if you're not sure, ask Optus to identify the "other provider".

Good luck.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 25th 2006 at 5:49 am.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

They're not calls to your phone card by chance are they?
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Get hold of that itemised bill and go through it with a fine toothed comb. Identify any numbers that aren't familiar (such as the 042367REV number) and request an explanation. At the very least, you have a right to know the details of your bill. At the very most, you may be entitled to some compensation.

I once recouped around $72 after Telstra stuffed up some changes to my phone plan and charged me dozens of $ for calls which should have been free. It was extremely gratifying.

Metered calls logged as "other provider" are usually calls made through a different company by entering a certain prefix before dialling. Do you have any arrangements of this type? If not, or if you're not sure, ask Optus to identify the "other provider".

Good luck.
Optus can't tell me what they are, They have requested an itemised list from Telstra which they said I should be charged $5 for but they are waiving the fee under the circumstances.

We haven't got any arrangements. We never use the phone, if it wasn't for the fact that we want broadband I wouldn't even bother with a phone line. We use the mobile for nearly all calls as we get a $49 cap so loads of calls that we can never use up. I might occasionally use the phone while Fraser is at work.

Optus are basically saying to me though that even if I think I didn't make the calls I can't prove it so am still liable for the bill.

I'm thinking maybe that the phoneline may have not been cut-pff properly at the rental and calls may have been made on our number by the new tenants, I can't prove it though.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marco121068
They're not calls to your phone card by chance are they?

I've got 115 listed for a three week period, we only call home once a week so I doubt it.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:09 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

We had dial-up Internet for about a week, but those calls are listed in the national calls section. The dates don't match either, we've had broadband for a few months and these calls are for the same time period.

I've also been charged for an 042367REV number, I don't have a clue what that is either.

when u have dial up, you still get charged the flag fall everytime u connect...if u get booted off and reconnect u get charged again and its not bloody cheap....ask if it could be this
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Just been looking through the national calls section and there are loads of numbers that I don't even recognise, I've told Optus and they just keep saying that the calls were made from our house, I know they weren't but I can't get it through to them, arghhhhhhhhh!!
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:26 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Phone Bill Help Please

Optus can't tell me what they are, They have requested an itemised list from Telstra which they said I should be charged $5 for but they are waiving the fee under the circumstances.
That's why I said "get hold of the itemised list." And once you've got that, then ask Optus about any numbers you don't recognise.

We haven't got any arrangements. We never use the phone, if it wasn't for the fact that we want broadband I wouldn't even bother with a phone line. We use the mobile for nearly all calls as we get a $49 cap so loads of calls that we can never use up. I might occasionally use the phone while Fraser is at work.

Optus are basically saying to me though that even if I think I didn't make the calls I can't prove it so am still liable for the bill.

I'm thinking maybe that the phoneline may have not been cut-pff properly at the rental and calls may have been made on our number by the new tenants, I can't prove it though.
Is that even possible?
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
That's why I said "get hold of the itemised list." And once you've got that, then ask Optus about any numbers you don't recognise.

Is that even possible?

I have no idea, but I can't think of any other way this could happen.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Rachel
Just a thought. We had our first Telstra bill in yesterday and there were loads of calls on there that we were adamant we didn't make. It turns out that when we use our phone card to call the UK, it goes through a brisbane phone number, which registers on the bill.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sassie
Just a thought. We had our first Telstra bill in yesterday and there were loads of calls on there that we were adamant we didn't make. It turns out that when we use our phone card to call the UK, it goes through a brisbane phone number, which registers on the bill.

Thanks, our phone card goes through a Melbourne number so I can identify that one. Cheers though
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, our phone card goes through a Melbourne number so I can identify that one. Cheers though
Have just found this on the Optus web site, which may shed some light.

"Metered calls (other provider) calls made from your land line to another phone number within your area code, with your "Other Provider".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.