Reload this Page >

PhD study and schoraships in Oz

PhD study and schoraships in Oz

Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:16 am
Just Joined

Kiwi75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PhD study and schoraships in Oz

Dear all,

I am not sure I got to the right forum as my question relates to the matters of education. Anyway, I'd be thankful if anyone who has any idea of my situation could respond.

I have completed last year my Honours degree in Information Systems in NZ. Really wanted to do my PhD in Australia. Aussies allow NZ citizens to be exempt from tution fees in a PhD programme and consider NZ citizens for their PhD scholarships (both government and university ones). My problem is that I don't have a first class Honours degree - mine is Upper Second class Honours. Looks like my Honours class is fine for admission to PhD at some unis. However, I'm not eligible for APAs. Also, majority of unis offer their university PhD scholarships to people with only first class Honours. In some, usually lower-rated, unis PhD scholarships are open to people with upper second class honours but I suspect that such people stand little chance of getting these scholarships. One uni even wrote explicitly on their site that the scholarships are open to people with 1st and upper second class honours but 1st class is usually needed to get a scholarship.

Has anyone got any idea if a person stands a decent chance to get a PhD scholarship at an Oz uni (even low-rated one) with upper second class Honours? Would be thankful to hear experiences of current PhD students or opinions of people who are familiar with this area. I just don't want to spend several months elaborating a research proposal so that in the end no uni gives me a PhD scholarship. Without a scholarship, I am afraid my finances would not allow me to do PhD. Also, would be nice to hear whether teaching opportunities for PhD students in Oz are good or not.

Thank you in advance.