Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pets arrived safely

Pets arrived safely

Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Trekrider will become famous soon enoughTrekrider will become famous soon enough
Default Pets arrived safely

We have just heard that our dog and two cats have arrived safely at Byford. Bella Donna and I have been trying to post a message about this but after 14 attempts we still haven't been able to get through the system for some unknown reason.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Trekrider will become famous soon enoughTrekrider will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pets arrived safely

Originally Posted by Trekrider
We have just heard that our dog and two cats have arrived safely at Byford. Bella Donna and I have been trying to post a message about this but after 14 attempts we still haven't been able to get through the system for some unknown reason.
Having started the thread, here's the full story, I hope

Very happy to report that we have just had a phone call from the officer at Byford who collects the pets from the airport. He has just brought our furry kids into the quarantine station and all are fine and in good spirits. I expect Smudge has given up crying her heart out and has finally accepted that grumbling and complaining is not going to get her anywhere. They have suggested that we visit them as soon as we can - they reckon that it's better for the animals to know that you are still around, and also that it gives the dogs a chance of some extra exercise and play. So we're going to try and visit them on 17th September, all being well.

Many, many thanks for all the support, good wishes, and tolerance of my fretting over the past few hours. I promise I shall stop worrying now that they're safe at Byford. Well....I'll try and stop worrying.

Out of interest, the man who collected them (Dan) said that the weather was deteriorating rapidly at Byford and that thunderstorms had already started. He thought it was going to get an awful lot worse!! Not sure the kids will be up for getting upset about that - they're under cover and I'm sure all they want is a good sleep!

Would just like to add for those still waiting to ship pets that we had a fantastic service from Airpets. They collected them promptly on Friday from kennels/cattery, took responsibility for giving them their pre-flight remedies, and we got an e-mail on Saturday to say they'd arrived safely at London and confirming details of their flight, and they hadn't been in Oz an hour before the relevant paperwork arrived from England by e-mail. A thoroughly good service - we paid £3000 to ship a very large German Shepherd and two cats and we now think it was money well spent. No hassles, no stress. Everything done for us. Now they are safely here, I know that bringing them was the right decision.

I'll write more about the quarantine centre and an update on the kids when we go to visit.

Good luck to all pet lovers and pets who are still to make their own incredible journeys.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Trekrider
Having started the thread, here's the full story, I hope

Very happy to report that we have just had a phone call from the officer at Byford who collects the pets from the airport. He has just brought our furry kids into the quarantine station and all are fine and in good spirits. I expect Smudge has given up crying her heart out and has finally accepted that grumbling and complaining is not going to get her anywhere. They have suggested that we visit them as soon as we can - they reckon that it's better for the animals to know that you are still around, and also that it gives the dogs a chance of some extra exercise and play. So we're going to try and visit them on 17th September, all being well.

Many, many thanks for all the support, good wishes, and tolerance of my fretting over the past few hours. I promise I shall stop worrying now that they're safe at Byford. Well....I'll try and stop worrying.

Out of interest, the man who collected them (Dan) said that the weather was deteriorating rapidly at Byford and that thunderstorms had already started. He thought it was going to get an awful lot worse!! Not sure the kids will be up for getting upset about that - they're under cover and I'm sure all they want is a good sleep!

Would just like to add for those still waiting to ship pets that we had a fantastic service from Airpets. They collected them promptly on Friday from kennels/cattery, took responsibility for giving them their pre-flight remedies, and we got an e-mail on Saturday to say they'd arrived safely at London and confirming details of their flight, and they hadn't been in Oz an hour before the relevant paperwork arrived from England by e-mail. A thoroughly good service - we paid £3000 to ship a very large German Shepherd and two cats and we now think it was money well spent. No hassles, no stress. Everything done for us. Now they are safely here, I know that bringing them was the right decision.

I'll write more about the quarantine centre and an update on the kids when we go to visit.

Good luck to all pet lovers and pets who are still to make their own incredible journeys.
Glad they arrived safely. Did the shippers provide the crates to ship them in? We have 2 cats that will be coming with us but its a way off yet. Was just wondering what needs to be done. Did you give them a blanket to lie on so they had a familar scent with them?
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cybie
Glad they arrived safely. Did the shippers provide the crates to ship them in? We have 2 cats that will be coming with us but its a way off yet. Was just wondering what needs to be done. Did you give them a blanket to lie on so they had a familar scent with them?
We used Airpets and they organised almost everything. We had to get the blood tests done (won't apply to you as it's dogs only) but other than that Airpets were really good. The contact is Nikki Cook and I know others on this list have commented on how good she is. All crates were provided by Airpets, I don't know about blankets as we had to leave our pets in a kennels in the UK for three weeks due to having to come to Sydney for a month prior to going to WA. I do know that our dogs toys went with him to London but I don't know if he was able to take them on the plane.

If you want more information, I will be glad to help.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:31 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear they all arrived safely. If my two mogs are anything to go by they will be overjoyed to see you when you get there. (Although there was a few minutes initial stand off being given 'So you've finally decided to show up then have you' looks lol)

Ditto with Airpets, they certainly made the whole thing a lot less stressful.

Anyway hope your own trip over goes well, not long now!!