Pets

Old May 16th 2004, 12:54 pm
From U.K 2 Aus

Jigsaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Pets

Anybody got any thoughts on this? Got two Jack Russells 4 & 5 months. Lion hearted members of the family. Both got excellent nature, really good house dogs. Much loved pets of the family. If our app goes through (only at the beginning - a long way to go yet) will have to sell my three horses. Find a home for my cat who gets really peed off being boxed to go to the vets once a year! Breaks my heart but l can do it if l have too, and in the back of my mind l am hoping that l will be able to buy a horse out there or at least get a ride somwhere. Thing is after giving all this up l cannot face giving up the dogs. Have talked at a few agents who transport them out to Oz, l know it will be a bit of exspense. A friend who backpacked a few years ago reckons, dogs are not highly thought of out in Oz and we will be considered a bloody nuciance straight off. The dogs are both well trainned, friendly and well behaved. Has anybody else taken dogs (similar type maybe) with them? It would be really great to hear from you.
Old May 16th 2004, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all
Default pets

hi there,my family and i are moving from scotland to perth next year,we are taking our dog rory{italian spinone} a big dog , and a pain in the backside but as you say they are part of the family and who cares what anyone else thinks anyway,there's people in britain who consider dogs a nuisanse,we were in perth last year and saw lots of dogs,in the uk dogs can generally go anywhere,in oz there are a lot of nature reserves{strictly off limits to dogs }and some of the beaches are not dog friendly although i saw a few on the beaches in and around perth,my advise would be to take the muts i'm sure they and yourselves would settle in no time,all the best,martin.
Old May 16th 2004, 1:13 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets

Originally posted by Jigsaw
ago reckons, dogs are not highly thought of out in Oz and we will be considered a bloody nuciance straight off.
This is not strictly true. There are restrictions on where you can take dogs (Quite a lot) but this is to preserve the natural wildlife. They say that the smells of dog doings scare of the local wildlife.

We have two dogs and they are fine. There are several books which give you pelnty of ideas ffor travelling in and around Oz with dogs.

You'll be considered a nuisance if they are noisey though.
Old May 16th 2004, 1:29 pm
From U.K 2 Aus

Originally posted by HUP
This is not strictly true. There are restrictions on where you can take dogs (Quite a lot) but this is to preserve the natural wildlife. They say that the smells of dog doings scare of the local wildlife.

We have two dogs and they are fine. There are several books which give you pelnty of ideas ffor travelling in and around Oz with dogs.

You'll be considered a nuisance if they are noisey though.
Hi, my dogs are not noisy ( would get on my nerves if they were). I would not let them run amok over here so will not do it over there. they are both used to running with the horses when we are out and always have them under full control. Would not want ot upset ANT wildlife and rules such as these exsist for a reason eh! Sounds like it will turn out O.K

Thanks for your help
Old May 16th 2004, 1:38 pm
From U.K 2 Aus

Default Re: pets

Originally posted by fitz
hi there,my family and i are moving from scotland to perth next year,we are taking our dog rory{italian spinone} a big dog , and a pain in the backside but as you say they are part of the family and who cares what anyone else thinks anyway,there's people in britain who consider dogs a nuisanse,we were in perth last year and saw lots of dogs,in the uk dogs can generally go anywhere,in oz there are a lot of nature reserves{strictly off limits to dogs }and some of the beaches are not dog friendly although i saw a few on the beaches in and around perth,my advise would be to take the muts i'm sure they and yourselves would settle in no time,all the best,martin.
Yeah that is true some people in the U.K would consider them a nuciance. My two are always under control and yeah they too are a pain at times, think we will take them- they are o.k here so they should be o.k there. Would be careful where l took them with me in the U.K. We used to life on the N Wales coast and dogs on the beach can be a damn pest at times, the amount of kids gettin bitten in the summer was enourmous - all because the poor dogs were hot and peed off or where concentrating on a football/frisbie. Most of the time it was not the dogs fault at all. Go out hacking with the horses a lot in a nearby forest and the dogs are not allowed some paths there either because of the wildlife, so it sounds about the same to me. Thanks for answering and good luck with your move hope it all goes well. Hope Rory sttles in O.K. Mind you the nuttier the dog usually the more laid back they are about such trivial things lke travelling half way around the world - they leave that to us eh!
Old May 17th 2004, 3:17 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

will have to sell my three horses.
Ohhhh

I had to find a home for my boy, he had a foot problem so I 'gave' him to someone (with a contract of care included) so he couldn't be sold on. He was doing really well in dressage (upto Elementary level) but we couldn't afford to bring him here! It was one of the worst moments in my life!!!

Having a horse isn't the same here though. It's to hot to ride in the summer and the amount of flies is unreal, I can even explain it!!!! It costs about the same to keep one and the grass is as scarse in summer as it is in the winter in the UK. WA is very behind when it comes to competitions and the dressage certainly isn't funded anywhere near as much as the Eastern states, Victoria being far more advanced than WA.

Will be heat breaking

I don't think dogs are regarded as being pests, most Aussies I know who own dogs have no clue about how to train one and don't know what the pooh bags in the parks are there for!!! lol
Old May 17th 2004, 8:15 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody got any thoughts on this? Got two Jack Russells 4 & 5 months. Lion hearted members of the family. Both got excellent nature, really good house dogs. Much loved pets of the family. If our app goes through (only at the beginning - a long way to go yet) will have to sell my three horses. Find a home for my cat who gets really peed off being boxed to go to the vets once a year! Breaks my heart but l can do it if l have too, and in the back of my mind l am hoping that l will be able to buy a horse out there or at least get a ride somwhere. Thing is after giving all this up l cannot face giving up the dogs. Have talked at a few agents who transport them out to Oz, l know it will be a bit of exspense. A friend who backpacked a few years ago reckons, dogs are not highly thought of out in Oz and we will be considered a bloody nuciance straight off. The dogs are both well trainned, friendly and well behaved. Has anybody else taken dogs (similar type maybe) with them? It would be really great to hear from you.
Hi,
we've just moved over to Perth 4 weeks ago with our 2 cats and been through the whole looking for a rental house scenario, so one thing I would say is your choice of rental accomodation is slightly retricted. A lot of properties are advertised as "pets negotiable" which basically means 2 cats OK, more are a problem, up to 2 small dogs PROBABLY alright, large dogs (any number) could be a problem. I think - based on our expereince - with 2 jack russells you shouldnt have too many problems with landlords/owners.

Regards
mairi

PS. Regarding putting the dogs into quarantine, the folk at AQIS are fantastic and the accomodation and services provided are first class. I was really worried about this before our move but was so impressed when I met the AQIS staff and saw the facilities. Just thought I would let you know, so you have one less thing to worry about
Old May 17th 2004, 8:21 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Oh forgot to say, in the park just down the road from us there are specific areas marked for where you cant take dogs at all, other areas where you can take them but only on a lead and others areas where its OK to have them off the lead. There are big posters at all entrances to the park showing where the different areas are.

Some of the beaches are also designated as "dog-free"

Regards
M
Old May 20th 2004, 1:07 am
From U.K 2 Aus

Arrow Re: Pets

Originally posted by janeyray
Ohhhh

I had to find a home for my boy, he had a foot problem so I 'gave' him to someone (with a contract of care included) so he couldn't be sold on. He was doing really well in dressage (upto Elementary level) but we couldn't afford to bring him here! It was one of the worst moments in my life!!!

Having a horse isn't the same here though. It's to hot to ride in the summer and the amount of flies is unreal, I can even explain it!!!! It costs about the same to keep one and the grass is as scarse in summer as it is in the winter in the UK. WA is very behind when it comes to competitions and the dressage certainly isn't funded anywhere near as much as the Eastern states, Victoria being far more advanced than WA.

Will be heat breaking

I don't think dogs are regarded as being pests, most Aussies I know who own dogs have no clue about how to train one and don't know what the pooh bags in the parks are there for!!! lol
Hi Janeray

Thank you for your kind words, some days l think l will never be able to box them and send them away never to be seen or heard of again. My biggest nightmare is that they will not be treasured like they are with me. The thing is though l have had horses since l was 10 years old - what would l do if for some reason l could not keep one out in Oz? Think l may go a bit crazy!

Nice to hear from somebody who has already been through it and come out O.K. Very good idea about the contract of care, but how do you keep a check on him? This could be the answer for me and my three! Is it like a permanant loan agreement? All mine have passports - you cannot sell them on without a passport now, so if l kept the paper work this would be a guarntee of them staying put and for me to keep updated on thier wareabouts/progress! The only drawback would be - me not having a horse over in Oz and hearing about mine making me really homesick to be with them. Do not want this as once we get there (if we ever do) it will be with a view to stay, do not want updates on my crew making me feel unsettled. What do you think? Bet your sorry you answered now! Hope to hear from you soon as it is nice to have another view point, if another person tells me that they are ONLY horses - think l may be tempted to thump them!
Old May 20th 2004, 1:11 am
From U.K 2 Aus

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Oh forgot to say, in the park just down the road from us there are specific areas marked for where you cant take dogs at all, other areas where you can take them but only on a lead and others areas where its OK to have them off the lead. There are big posters at all entrances to the park showing where the different areas are.

Some of the beaches are also designated as "dog-free"

Regards
M
Sounds pretty much the same as here. Restrictions here too in a lot of places. Thanks for the info about te quarntine will keep that name on file for future ref. Nice to hear that you have settled and your cats too.
Old May 20th 2004, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Hi There,

Our Jack Russell is in quarantine in Byford for 7 months but they are tough little dogs and he has done really well. Yours will be fine for 30 days and they will soon forget the plane flight and will enjoy life here.

There are a lot of problems with dogs and cruelty here but please register your dog-hardly anyone does and if it is found with no tags, will go to pound and may end up being put down if the owners don't collect it.

Save the money and it will be worth every penny. Plus, they have ecah other for company in quarantine and the dogs that I have seen with another all do well.

Hope this helps!

Old May 20th 2004, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jigsaw,

We too left 3 horses behind. Some of the saddest days before we left was seeing them go for the last time.
We sold one of them, and putting him in that trailer and taking him to his new home, was hell. But I know he is well cared for and I have people who go and check on him every so often. They also keep in touch by email, and let me know what he is up too.

My other 2 horses have gone to my daughter. My older one, I would never beable to sell as he sometimes has half a screw loose (if you know what I mean) and in the wrong hands could be treated badly, as he had been just before we had him.
My youngster has just been broken and is expected to be going to his first show this Summer.
If for some reason, my daughter couldn't have them any more, I have another girl who I would trust 100% that will have them, and she would probably take my younger one quite a long way.

I have photos sent over on the internet, and they are going to make a vidio for me to see how they are.

Coming out here and not having the horses, is very difficult, because we can't just have everything all at once, and when you have had horses all your life, there is a part of you missing.

We came out here in October, started the business in January and are hopefully buying 5 acres out at Pinjarra to have a house built.
So, although horses are a little way off, I know that they won't be out of my life forever which is what you think when you first get here.

Good luck with your move.

Whisky
Old May 22nd 2004, 5:20 pm
From U.K 2 Aus

Originally posted by whisky
Hi Jigsaw,

We too left 3 horses behind. Some of the saddest days before we left was seeing them go for the last time.
We sold one of them, and putting him in that trailer and taking him to his new home, was hell. But I know he is well cared for and I have people who go and check on him every so often. They also keep in touch by email, and let me know what he is up too.

My other 2 horses have gone to my daughter. My older one, I would never beable to sell as he sometimes has half a screw loose (if you know what I mean) and in the wrong hands could be treated badly, as he had been just before we had him.
My youngster has just been broken and is expected to be going to his first show this Summer.
If for some reason, my daughter couldn't have them any more, I have another girl who I would trust 100% that will have them, and she would probably take my younger one quite a long way.

I have photos sent over on the internet, and they are going to make a vidio for me to see how they are.

Coming out here and not having the horses, is very difficult, because we can't just have everything all at once, and when you have had horses all your life, there is a part of you missing.

We came out here in October, started the business in January and are hopefully buying 5 acres out at Pinjarra to have a house built.
So, although horses are a little way off, I know that they won't be out of my life forever which is what you think when you first get here.

Good luck with your move.

Whisky
Hi Whisky

Thank you for your reply. Have just been on a three hour hack on my 6yr old - 15.2hh welsh coloured cob. He will be a sort very hard to replace, if l ever get that far. He never stops listening to what is asked of him. The greatest confidence giver l have ever ever ridden. He was very green when we bought him for my daughter, who quickly got scared of his disjointed walk and head in the clouds attitude (Jigsaw - all the pieces not together). When l started to ride him within the first two weeks we were leg yielding and going over trotting poles really well. Have taken him on a few cross country courses and hunter trails. He loves the excitment of the day and constatly shouts to horses and spectators whilst running around at top speeds - managed to stop that now though, l think he realised he was making us look silly! My other cob cross 14.3hh mare with attitude just likes to remind me that she is quite capable of making some decisions - then we get into a battle of the wills. My hubby has started to ride and she is always really good for him and whoever else hacks her out, they all spoil her a bit and let her make decisions. When l ride her l will not give her an inch and she is somtimes hell bent on trying to get her way. The third is a 12hh section B who uis as sweet as a nut. When l first took her on she was in a bad state - overfeed, not used to being handled and her feet were horrendous. She has come on better than l ever expected, she is a nightmare to catch though. Thank you so much for telling me about your expeience, when l first read it l cried, just nice to know that l am not over emotional about it and other people appreciate how l feel. This is the main reason why we have not told my family that we have our TRA in process. I just cannot cope with them telling me l could never do it. It will be THE hardest thing l have ever done, but l can do it. I am vey confident that l will find them all good homes. Thaks again

Old May 22nd 2004, 5:33 pm
From U.K 2 Aus

Originally posted by melaniee
Hi There,

Our Jack Russell is in quarantine in Byford for 7 months but they are tough little dogs and he has done really well. Yours will be fine for 30 days and they will soon forget the plane flight and will enjoy life here.

There are a lot of problems with dogs and cruelty here but please register your dog-hardly anyone does and if it is found with no tags, will go to pound and may end up being put down if the owners don't collect it.

Save the money and it will be worth every penny. Plus, they have ecah other for company in quarantine and the dogs that I have seen with another all do well.

Hope this helps!
Hi

Totally agree they are little dogs with a lot of heart. We used to have German Shepards, l find the russells are every bit as protective of the home and family. Robust fella's the pair of them have to go looking for them outside in the nice weather (don't laugh we do get a bit occasionally) they are always sleeping under one of the bushes at the bottom of the garden - on cat and squirrell patrol!!! We have a cat, but the dogs do not seem to class ours in the "lets get them catagory", think it is because the cat has thrashed them both in the past. Very independant dogs. After reading your reply l am confident they will both cope very well travellig - think l was flattering myself that would give a damn if we were not around for a while. My two both have selctive memory range when it suits them. Thanks your answer has really put my mind at rest - they will both come along if all goes to plan
:scared: