Pets

Old Jun 5th 2002, 10:20 am
Phil

Default Re: Pets

We have the same problem, we are off to nz on a work defferal visa, so if phil doesnt
get a job in six months we have to come home. Do we take george (the cat) and risk
having to bring him back to spend six months in "prison" here? and there the problem
of rented accomidation i have looked but i cant find many houses that are furmished
and you can have a cat. We have talked about putting him in a cattery till we buy a
house but how long till we do that? It is breaking my heart, he is my baby and i cant
stand the though of leaving him behind. What do you do for the best?

Emily

"col" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I have two cats Smokey and bandit. Looked in to the cost of shipping them to perth
    > about £1000. Thought about leaving them behind, but not sure whether I could do it.
    > Only problems I've seen is rented accomadation not too many people want to have
    > pets. Considering we might be in rented for quite awhile I'm still having doubts.
    > Trapped between a rock and a hard place type scenario.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Col
    >
    > All Good Things come to those who wait...........(Not to bloody long
though Eh!)
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 5th 2002, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Lana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Axel Van Kampen
I can relate to this dilemma.

We are going leaving Australia after 19 years to live in the US and we have two dogs,
Axel and Hercules (Sharpei & Rottie), two big babies really.

We can't take them with us and it is the hardest thing to leave them behind since we
had them both from pups but its probably the best for them both. But I'm crying every
day just thinking about it.

Axel, me too. It breaks my heart to think of leaving them, but I know that I will mind it much more than they will. When their future owner comes here, they all leave my lap and jump on him instead, hee hee.
Old Jun 5th 2002, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

britbird is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
we have a 9yr old Jack Russell who is loved and considered a sibling for my 5 yr old daughter.
We are off to Brisbane in August and I've been looking into the cost of taking her with us today.
The fee for getting her there is around the £700 mark inc of flight jabs and packing ect and the cost at the other end is around AU$800. I have been told to get a full medical history of the animal from you vet and get paperwork ready to prove a history of innoculations(have I spelt that right??)
We wouldn't leave her here as Alice would never forgive her Mum.
Britbird.
Old Jun 5th 2002, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

mandandbri is an unknown quantity at this point

I've also got 2 cats - Kevin & Perry !! My main concern is that if I take them with me to Perth they would go out hunting and end up coming across snakes or spiders that are a little less friendly than British ones.
Over the summer Perry is a mice a day cat so he likes his 'hunting'. Is this likely to cause problems in Oz ?
Old Aug 6th 2002, 7:21 pm
Claire Robson

If you are worried about the flight, apparently where the cats are stored on the
plane (in the hold I guess) has a calming effect on the cats so they don't get
stressed on the long journey and therefore don't need tranquilisers or anything to
get them through it.

As long as you get a microchip fitted (about £30) and necessary vaccinations
everything should be fine.

I wasn't aware that they needed to go into quarantine if they had chip fitted and
necessary vaccinations though.

Claire

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Aug 6th 2002, 8:20 pm
Rob

In <[email protected] lgate.org> Claire Robson wrote:
    > If you are worried about the flight, apparently where the cats are stored on the
    > plane (in the hold I guess)

They go in a special "livestock section", not the baggage hold. It's heated and
pressurised.

Old Aug 6th 2002, 11:09 pm
ndaltonb

Hi Yvonne, only just spotted your message. The newsgroup is alt.travel.uk.air

Try to find it under http://groups.google.com/
Nigel db

Originally posted by yvsie
Nigel,
Whats the address...Ive typed variations of what you put...and can't find it!!!

Thanks

Old Aug 7th 2002, 1:27 am
ajm
Just Joined

ajm is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of mine took her cat to oz and had no problems, her cat is very timid but came out of it very well.

She used a company called Airpets based at Heathrow, they have a web page here www.airpets.co.uk

Hope this helps

ajm.
Old Aug 7th 2002, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

britbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

We are using airpets, who are very good. Our dog goes on the 24th of August. The blood tests are expensive. We have had 3 so far and has cost £76! We have another one to do today. This is the last one before she flys out. I'm very nervous about her going, but just hope that the flight won't freak her out too much.
We are settling in Brisbane, does anyone know how much it would cost to fly her up to Brissy from Sydney as pet cargo?
Ta Britbird
Old Aug 7th 2002, 1:50 pm
ajm
Just Joined

ajm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi britbird

To find out the cost of flying a dog to Brisbane from Sydney I suggest you e-mail the Quarantine Centre your dog will be in,
they should have the relevent info.

Or you could e-mail Virgin Blue Airlines as this would be the Airline they would use to fly your dog up to Brisbane, the e-mail address for enquiries is

[email protected]

ajm
Old Aug 7th 2002, 2:27 pm
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point

Britbird,
Could you give me an idea of the final amount you have been quoted from airpets for the whole service?

Thanks
Sarah
Old Aug 7th 2002, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Peters is an unknown quantity at this point

MICKWe Shiped 2 Cats and an 8 year old Boxer, Thay Arived on the 4 July Dog Had lost about 1 stone in weight but cats were fine. We were going to ship them with a co that we saw at the emm show but after speeking to them on the phone my wife came ofF the phone in tears so we phoned up a co near Heathrow and used them, Price was more Exp But service 1st class i think what thay say is right Pay penuts get monkeys
any way cats and dog are = :PARTY: