Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Petrol --- How much?

Wikiposts

Petrol --- How much?

Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Miked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the rough
Default Petrol --- How much?

I noticed this afternoon that the needle was approaching the red and made a mental note to fill up on the way home, after the school run.
I drive a rather uneconomical gas guzzling vehicle but have never really taken much notice of the price of petrol between various servo's, if I need petrol I just pull up to the nearest pump and fill her up, this has always served me well, I may pay a few cents over the odds but I dont drive out of my way to save a few cents like some people I know

I had a huge shock today when I filled up at our local 7-11 the price of premium unleaded was a shade under $1.30, it cost me just under $100 to fill the car with juice which will last me a week maximum

When we stepped off the plane and bought our cars last year petrol was not an issue, I think it was 70c a litre or thereabouts. How much higher can it go:scared:

How much is petrol in your area and how will this affect your spending?

Anyone coming out to Oz should really think hard about what car they are going to buy as petrol is now a major expense here.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:59 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Petrol --- How much?

$1.38 here in Melbourne tonight, the garages that are still selling at $1.24 have long queues outside them.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Bounty Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Try being in UK - my local garage are charging 1.02p per ltr :scared: .
working from home today to save money!
Think my move to Sydney will make me better off financially.

Originally Posted by Miked
I noticed this afternoon that the needle was approaching the red and made a mental note to fill up on the way home, after the school run.
I drive a rather uneconomical gas guzzling vehicle but have never really taken much notice of the price of petrol between various servo's, if I need petrol I just pull up to the nearest pump and fill her up, this has always served me well, I may pay a few cents over the odds but I dont drive out of my way to save a few cents like some people I know

I had a huge shock today when I filled up at our local 7-11 the price of premium unleaded was a shade under $1.30, it cost me just under $100 to fill the car with juice which will last me a week maximum

When we stepped off the plane and bought our cars last year petrol was not an issue, I think it was 70c a litre or thereabouts. How much higher can it go:scared:

Anyone coming out to Oz should really think hard about what car they are going to buy as petrol is now a major expense here.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bordy
$1.38 here in Melbourne tonight, the garages that are still selling at $1.24 have long queues outside them.
Here in Sydney, 139.9 a litre. I really need to put Optimax or Mobil Synergy in my car or in pinks like crazy. Tonight, Synergy cost me 150.9. I must be mad. This morning driving to work all standard unleaded was 126.9, and I didn't stop or I'd have been late...
Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bounty Girl
Try being in UK - my local garage are charging 1.02p per ltr :scared: .
working from home today to save money!
Think my move to Sydney will make me better off financially.
I think your local garage is taking the p*ss. It's 89.9p at Tesco down the road from me. I think some retailers are trying it on, oil prices have come down in the last few days. I think they are cashing in on Katrina.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:58 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

It is now 99.9 pence per litre where i live in Potton.

Rob

Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:13 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Petrol --- How much?

Luxury! Try 97p! :scared:
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bordy

Never really understood why people queue for ages to fill their cars at a cheaper pump. Happens every year before the budget. Juice goes up 0.4p litre from midnight, and everyone rushes out to the pumps - total saving on a tank full? £1.20. Time spent in queue? 45 minutes. And these are the same people who'll pay £3.50 to use the M6 Toll road "because it's quicker".

Oh well, takes all sorts...

Flash.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Miked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the rough

Well, I am glad I did fill up last night as it was $1.49 this morning as I passed on the school run. That increase alone would add $14 Dollars to the price of a full tank of petrol.
Maybe the kids are going to have to walk the 3 Miles to school.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:58 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Petrol in northern victora this morning was $1.39 its getting ridiculous
i think we will have to look at getting a car with a smaller tank, hubys car is a company one so doesnt cost us anythin but mine is a 3litre engine and cost $70 to fill on friday, when we got it in feb, to fill it cost $39.. some difference!!!!!!!
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
Petrol in northern victora this morning was $1.39 its getting ridiculous
i think we will have to look at getting a car with a smaller tank, hubys car is a company one so doesnt cost us anythin but mine is a 3litre engine and cost $70 to fill on friday, when we got it in feb, to fill it cost $39.. some difference!!!!!!!
This is the benefit of higher petrol prices, it forces drivers to buy more economical cars and to pollute less. You only have to look at Western Europe, with high fuel tax, most cars are economical 4 cylinder 1.6L or below. Whereas in the low fuel tax duty countries of USA and Australia V6/V8 cars are more prevelent.

Roll on $2 a litre, I say
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:28 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Roll on $2 a litre, I say [/QUOTE]

You'll be popular !!!!

ive noticed a few cars that use gas, might look into that its still fairly low in price
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The aussie fashion for big cars has already started to to die, everyone you speak to is having to moderate how much they drive just to afford fuel, It might still sound cheap to UK prices but we dont earn UK wages and we dont drive UK distances

Pity those who rushed out and bought the big 4WD's $150 to fill a tank :scared: , we use 5/6 tanks a week between 3 adults, no option of public transport as were not in a city. If partner didnt have a fuel card for work we would almost need one job just to pay for petrol

Our lifestyle will be affected by it, we really wanted to buy acerage further out, a plan now that would double our already ridiculous fuel costs so probably wont happen
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

On the news the other night they warned that fuel prices will go up to $1.60 in the next few weeks :scared:
Luckily we have a large family car for when we all go out and a little nippy thing for running around. It works out cheaper to pay 2 lots of Rego and insurance and having a little car to fill up rather than filling the guzzler up on just after school activities.
Hubby has a motorbike to get to work so that's very economical. Thank heavens we can walk to school .
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:52 pm
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
It might still sound cheap to UK prices but we dont earn UK wages and we dont drive UK distances
Thats a good point !

I drive about 40,000 kms a year and a tank of petrol lasts me about 400kms, so thats 100 tanks a year at a current cost of $55 per tank. (My car has a 2L engine - nothing fancy)

So $5500 per year on petrol (rough calculation )

Thats just under 10% of my gross salary and 15% of my take-home.

Would be interesting to see how UK based peoples petrol costs work out as %age of salary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.