Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Petrol going up again

Petrol going up again

Old Sep 20th 2003, 7:50 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Petrol going up again

God I cant believe it theyre putting it up again.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 7:54 pm
WBB

Default Re: Petrol going up again

Originally posted by sky
God I cant believe it theyre putting it up again.

i just seen the news, oh well roll on australia where the petrol is comparatively peanuts.

Old Sep 20th 2003, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

What is it 75c a litre over there? Do they have road tax as well and is it actually spent on fixing the roads. Now that would be a novel idea!!
Old Sep 21st 2003, 4:47 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
What is it 75c a litre over there? Do they have road tax as well and is it actually spent on fixing the roads. Now that would be a novel idea!!
Yep there is road tax and you have to pay to renew your license ever 3 - 5 years. Not forgetting stamp duty in NSW on car sales.

The price of petrol seems to depend on the day of the week. I try to buy on Monday and by Friday it isn't unusual to have seen the price gone from 88c a litre to 99c.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you dont earn at least twice your UK salary petrol isnot that much cheaper, road tax $489 includes third party insurance. So add insurance for fully comp. Buy a car at $18000 add $590 stamp duty.

They still extract the cash from you here just like UK just in different ways.

Used to cost me £38 to fill up in UK cost me $38 to fill up here last week. !!
Old Sep 21st 2003, 5:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

All states are different. Qld - rego for a 4 cylinder car is $582 (including compulsary 3rd party I think its gone up again!). Yes, stamp duty is payable on cars, but its only when you buy it & is usually just considered part of the purchase price.

Comprehensive insurance on my 4 cylinder is $300 - but I do get a discount because we have all our policies with 1 company (which anyone can do of course).

Petrol here in Brisbane also varies but is usually between 70-80 cents/litre. Costs me about $35 for a tank, but that lasts me about a month, sometimes more as I dont drive it alot (only 5000-8000 km/year). Most people would do around 15-20,000km/year.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I am sure it does balance out.

But our road tax is £180 per year, petrol 78p per litre and insurance £500 per year for a people carrier ( 65% discount no claims)

This seems a lot more than $900 per year insurances and 70-80 c for petrol!
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:18 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by tinaj
I am sure it does balance out.

But our road tax is £180 per year, petrol 78p per litre and insurance £500 per year for a people carrier ( 65% discount no claims)

This seems a lot more than $900 per year insurances and 70-80 c for petrol!
I concur.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:22 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

What about no-claims discount/bonus...is that considered in Aus. Also do younger drivers pay more for car ins?

You have'nt got mot's either, right?...
Old Sep 21st 2003, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

They have no MOT in WA not sure about the rest, but in my opinion not a good thing, I would like to think the car driving two foot from my bumper had working brakes. !!

Your NCB is taken into account here. Young drivers pay premium.

Would rather earn £30k and pay road tax at £180 and £500 insurance and 78p a litre than earn $30k and pay $900 in insurances and 78c a litre.

As I said before its down to what you can earn. Some will come here and earn a lot more than they did in UK for those its going to be cheaper. Fo me and its more expensive.

Think nurses are getting paid double $s to £s so they will find it cheaper. IT consultants less $s than £s so a lot more expensive.

Would be interesting to know what OZ trades pay vs UK trades

Last edited by karawara88; Sep 21st 2003 at 9:19 am.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 9:20 am
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by karawara88
They have no MOT in WA not sure about the rest, but in my opinion not a good thing, I would like to think the car driving two foot from my bumper had working brakes. !!

Your NCB is taken into account here. Young drivers pay premium.

Would rather earn £30k and pay road tax at £180 and £500 insurance and 78p a litre than earn $30k and pay $900 in insurances and 78c a litre.

As I said before its down to what you can earn. Some will come here and earn a lot more than they did in UK for those its going to be cheaper. Fo me and its more expensive.

Think nurses are getting paid double $s to £s so they will find it cheaper. IT consultants less $s than £s so a lot more expensive.
I can see the point you are making here Kara. What about taking into consideration the initial cost of a vehicle? They are cheaper out there are'nt they? At least brand new anyway.

BTW karawara88....strange name??
Old Sep 21st 2003, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can see the point you are making here Kara. What about taking into consideration the initial cost of a vehicle? They are cheaper out there are'nt they? At least brand new anyway.
Personally I dont think they are cheaper, they are lower spec. We bought a car (2002) that cost $18000 plus $590 stamp duty. The same car in UK would cost £7500 with a better spec, so on current conversion $18241

So ignoring specs, the cars are roughly the same price.

BUT on my earlier scenario if I earn £30k and spend £7.5k or $30k and $18k which is the cheaper car ?

Which is why I say you need to earn at least twice UK salary.

Thats how I see it, and others may see it different. What makes a lot of difference to migrants is the ability to pay off mortgage and buy car for cash so therefore having more disposable income.

Second hand cars hold the price better and decent cars like Audi, BMW, Mercs, VW etc. are big bucks.

Although for some reason they are quite into renault ? !!