Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Peter Moyes School, Mindarie, Perth

Peter Moyes School, Mindarie, Perth

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peter Moyes School, Mindarie, Perth

Originally Posted by northernlights
I would seriously consider other options rather than jumping into the nearest private school just because it’s ‘private’. Ocean Reef, Mindarie, Wanneroo, Woodvale, Duncraig, are all very good High Schools in the Northern Suburbs. Are you definitely staying in Butler?

If you children are at primary school age then I definitely wouldn’t waste your money. You can get last years WALNA results for public primary schools in WA off the internet. Private primary schools don’t have to disclose their WALNA results – say no more. Most primary schools are a much of a much ness with a few not so good ones.

Peter Moyes, in my opinion is a 3rd rate private school. 1st rate being, Hale, St Hildas, Methodist Ladies College, Christ Church Grammar, etc. 2nd rate being, St Marks, St Stephens, Duncraig & Carramar, etc. 3rd rate being Joondalup Baptist, Peter Moyes, Irene McCormack.

Peter Moyes didn’t do well in this years TEE results (or last year for that matter). Irene McCormack performed even worse than any school in the area. Other public local schools such as Mindarie High, Ocean Reef, Wanneroo, all done better or roughly the same as Peter Moyes. Why pay for average results?

Remember, the private schools you can easily get into without a long wait are usually the ones that are not value for money and have a high drop out rate.

Also, consider if your child(ren) have any special talents, interests or skills. Nearly all public high schools have special programs in various subjects such as; soccer, music, marine biology, diving, drama, the arts, etc, etc. By not committing to a private school in the primary years, you can see how your child develops and pursue their interests and talents.

Good luck.
Welcome to BE, nice first post. The first rate private schools are OK if you can A) get your kids in and B) afford the $15k plus price tag. For others your third rate schools are a better option on a discipline level than the equivalent state school.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
Welcome to BE, nice first post. The first rate private schools are OK if you can A) get your kids in and B) afford the $15k plus price tag. For others your third rate schools are a better option on a discipline level than the equivalent state school.
I believe discipline starts and ends in the home. If your child has a natural rebelious streak - then so be it. No school, fee paying or not will affect or cure that rebellion. It's up to the parents to channel that rebellion elsewhere - not the school's responsibility.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:54 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I believe discipline starts and ends in the home. If your child has a natural rebelious streak - then so be it. No school, fee paying or not will affect or cure that rebellion. It's up to the parents to channel that rebellion elsewhere - not the school's responsibility.
I agree discipline starts at home but they are at school for a very long time and the school environment makes a different IMVHO.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

I would seriously consider other options rather than jumping into the nearest private school just because it’s ‘private’. Ocean Reef, Mindarie, Wanneroo, Woodvale, Duncraig, are all very good High Schools in the Northern Suburbs. Are you definitely staying in Butler?

If you children are at primary school age then I definitely wouldn’t waste your money. You can get last years WALNA results for public primary schools in WA off the internet. Private primary schools don’t have to disclose their WALNA results – say no more. Most primary schools are a much of a much ness with a few not so good ones.

Peter Moyes, in my opinion is a 3rd rate private school. 1st rate being, Hale, St Hildas, Methodist Ladies College, Christ Church Grammar, etc. 2nd rate being, St Marks, St Stephens, Duncraig & Carramar, etc. 3rd rate being Joondalup Baptist, Peter Moyes, Irene McCormack.

Peter Moyes didn’t do well in this years TEE results (or last year for that matter). Irene McCormack performed even worse than any school in the area. Other public local schools such as Mindarie High, Ocean Reef, Wanneroo, all done better or roughly the same as Peter Moyes. Why pay for average results?

Remember, the private schools you can easily get into without a long wait are usually the ones that are not value for money and have a high drop out rate.

Also, consider if your child(ren) have any special talents, interests or skills. Nearly all public high schools have special programs in various subjects such as; soccer, music, marine biology, diving, drama, the arts, etc, etc. By not committing to a private school in the primary years, you can see how your child develops and pursue their interests and talents.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice, it is worth considering. We are looking at the option of private schools mainly due to the fact that we are not yet sure which area we want to live.

I believe most state schools now have catchment areas, as we will be initially renting we may end up in a suburb which may not have a good primary school, considering private so we don't have to send them to a school in the suburb we rent and then move them to another school when we finally buy or build a house.

I know this is probably the wrong attitude but I am not really bothered about the results of any school, as long as the children are happy and safe at school and given as much support and encouragment as needed then I would be happy, I wouldn't want to send them to a school that puts pressure on pupils to by high achievers when not all children are.

Came to Perth for a month last year and stayed in Butler, liked Jindalee, Quinns Rock, Mindarie - hoping to settle somewhere in that area.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree discipline starts at home but they are at school for a very long time and the school environment makes a different IMVHO.
So how do you explain the polite, well adjusted, thriving children who go to public shcools versus the arrogant, snobbish, rude children who go to private schools? It's all about parenting and genetic luck. I've seen both sides first hand and in both cases the parents are to praise/blame.

The trouble with this society is that there is a 'blame someone else' culture. Chuck them into a private school and then and as I pay, I can forget about them and let the school do the upbringing.

Also, you have to remember that quite a few parents are working longer hours to pay for private school therefore are not as involved in their child's life. Third rate private schools in the Northern Suburbs are NOT full of lawyers, solicitors and doctors offspring but many nurses, tradesmen, shop assistants, hairdressers, etc fill the school books. Many rely on overtime at weekends, late nights, etc to pay for fees. This can't always be healthy. It removes you from day to day contact with your kids which has to be a paramount of importance.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by munch
Thanks for the advice, it is worth considering. We are looking at the option of private schools mainly due to the fact that we are not yet sure which area we want to live.

I believe most state schools now have catchment areas, as we will be initially renting we may end up in a suburb which may not have a good primary school, considering private so we don't have to send them to a school in the suburb we rent and then move them to another school when we finally buy or build a house.

I know this is probably the wrong attitude but I am not really bothered about the results of any school, as long as the children are happy and safe at school and given as much support and encouragment as needed then I would be happy, I wouldn't want to send them to a school that puts pressure on pupils to by high achievers when not all children are.

Came to Perth for a month last year and stayed in Butler, liked Jindalee, Quinns Rock, Mindarie - hoping to settle somewhere in that area.
I went to Deepdale Secondary Modern School in Preston (which was anything but modern); not the poncey Grammar School over the road.............. and it never did me any harm.

Here in Perth our 3 boys went to a very public Woodvale Senior High and before that East Wanneroo Primary ................ as opposed to some oitey-toitey poncey private school with a poncey looking uniform................ and the public school education did them no harm either............. as all 3 have done quite well for themselves.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

So how do you explain the polite, well adjusted, thriving children who go to public shcools versus the arrogant, snobbish, rude children who go to private schools? It's all about parenting and genetic luck. I've seen both sides first hand and in both cases the parents are to praise/blame.

The trouble with this society is that there is a 'blame someone else' culture. Chuck them into a private school and then and as I pay, I can forget about them and let the school do the upbringing.

Also, you have to remember that quite a few parents are working longer hours to pay for private school therefore are not as involved in their child's life. Third rate private schools in the Northern Suburbs are NOT full of lawyers, solicitors and doctors offspring but many nurses, tradesmen, shop assistants, hairdressers, etc fill the school books. Many rely on overtime at weekends, late nights, etc to pay for fees. This can't always be healthy. It removes you from day to day contact with your kids which has to be a paramount of importance.
A few sweeping generalisations there me thinks. I think I will just have to agree to disagree with your views.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

I don't think you could say that all children who go to public schools are polite, well adjusted and thriving, already having 3 children in public schools I know first hand that it just not the case. There are very rude, arrogant and snobbish children in both public and private schools.

Most parents of children work long hours, weekends, overtime etc. whether their children go to private schools or public schools, unfortunately, it is the way of the world now both in the U.K. and Australia that parents cannot afford to stay at home, but most do want the best for their children.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:44 am
Loving Perth!

TheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant future

Good luck.
I agree with a what you have said here northernlights - unfortunately we are still going to have to send our child to the so called 3rd rate Peter Moyes (or Quinns Baptist or some other private) as the only alternative (due to our living in Mindarie) is to send her to Clarkson - now if you compare Peter Moyes to Clarkson I think most people would choose Peter Moyes. This is not due to snobbery and suchlike, it comes down to giving your child a fair chance!

Basically if you want your child to study any TEE subjects then forget Clarkson even if you are paying for average at Peter Moyes. Plus by my reckoning Peter Moyes fees works out cheaper than moving costs to get into the catchment area of a good state school (stampy duty etc).

Any suggestions anyone has about this situation are welcome!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:55 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I rang Peter Moyes once to talk to the registrar but got put through to the staff room by mistake. The phone was left off the hook and I heard the teachers slagging one of the other teachers off and using foul language.

I know it must happen in all teacher's staff rooms, but it put me off.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:58 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by TheHallidays
I agree with a what you have said here northernlights - unfortunately we are still going to have to send our child to the so called 3rd rate Peter Moyes (or Quinns Baptist or some other private) as the only alternative (due to our living in Mindarie) is to send her to Clarkson - now if you compare Peter Moyes to Clarkson I think most people would choose Peter Moyes. This is not due to snobbery and suchlike, it comes down to giving your child a fair chance!

Basically if you want your child to study any TEE subjects then forget Clarkson even if you are paying for average at Peter Moyes. Plus by my reckoning Peter Moyes fees works out cheaper than moving costs to get into the catchment area of a good state school (stampy duty etc).

Any suggestions anyone has about this situation are welcome!
You could apply to an out of catchment state high school, nothing stopping you applying. If they have room they will take you. My daughter is also down to go to a third rate private school close to my home because my state alternative is pants.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:22 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is down for one of those listed as 2nd tier by a previous poster which is walking distance from home. But they give preference to kids who meet a ranked list of priorities.

A letter from your local vicar to say you are a church regular is one of the top criteria. Others include having siblings there already. The first class we fall into is the 6th one - that we live locally. So I don't hold out much chance. I am treasurer and webmaster for the local residents association and even though it is not a listed criteria I disagree with my wife this should have gone on the form to swing it our way a little.

If she doesn't get in there then given a choice between Wanneroo SHS and a non-local private church school I don't mind too much either way. I went to the local comp which had a poor reputation, got good grades, went to uni and got a professional qualification that keeps me in a very good standard of living.