Wikiposts

Pet Shipping

Old Mar 20th 2004, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

dawn kirbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pet Shipping

Originally posted by DawnBlayney
Hi Dawn,
We're in Northern Ireland & there aren't any pet shippers over here - I have 1 Bichon Frise & am doing it myself - if you've done the visa I think you'll have no problem. He's smaller than yours, but prices I estimate to be about £900 for the shipping & quarantine. Some of the other posts are correct - Qantas & BA are the shippers and from what I've read, and my own experience BA are better to deal with. The dogs must fly via Singapore on a direct flight (e.g. when it stops for fuel, it's the same plane that then goes to Aus - they don't get off)
You need to apply for an import permit - forms on web - that takes 4-6 weeks to arrive and all the instructions are really clear.
I'm only part way through the process myself but if I can be any help let me know - also the aus quarantine site is helpful, and BA are also helpful -(it's the cargo dept) for advice.
I really think it'll not be a problem it's just following instructions, and even with pet shippers you have to do a lot of it anyway - eg take dog for blood tests etc
All the best to all of you! - Dawn
thanks dawn, very interesting. good luck with yours and everything else. must be very exciting to be at that stage. i would love to hear how it goes - dawn