Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pet Passport for our dog

Pet Passport for our dog

Old Oct 26th 2005, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice
Default Pet Passport for our dog

I know you need a Pet Passport to enable pets to be taken to Australia but where do you start and do you need anything else. Any help appreciated.
Rob
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:05 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pet Passport for our dog

Originally Posted by pogsy
I know you need a Pet Passport to enable pets to be taken to Australia but where do you start and do you need anything else. Any help appreciated.
Rob
It's easier getting a Pet Shipping Co to take care of it all for you. We are using Golden Arrow. They are sorting everything and explain all the details, what you need, when to have vaccinations, blood tests etc etc etc!! It can be a bit daunting if you don't know where to start. There are a couple of recommended pet shippers that people here have used. Airpets are another name that come up a lot.

I rang Golden Arrow and next day they've sent me detailed instructions what to do next and a quote etc. I accepted and I had a letter this morning confirming they have reserved a place for my dog on a BA flight the day we are flying out.

Basically your pet has to be microchipped and vaccinations up to date for them to apply for the import permit. When having their vaccinations (within 12 months of leaving and at leat 14 days before) DO NOT include the lepto vaccine with the vaccines. Then within 30 days of shipment your vet will need to do some blood tests to ensure pet is okay for shipment.
If you want further info let me know.

Good luck

Rachel
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Thanks Rachel, much appreciated advise, I will start by contacting a few pet shippers, we are not going till this time next year but need to start the ball rolling now with reference to not getting certain boosters done.
Regards Rob
Old Oct 26th 2005, 8:13 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rob

Basically there is no Pet passport scheme from UK to Oz - so your dog will have to do 30 days in Australian quarantine - its annoying but will pass quickly for your pet. As the poster above says you are best to use a pet shipper and they will keep you right with what vaccinations to get done and when - they will also tell you when to take the dog for its blood tests. Good luck and if you have any other questions just ask!

Lynn
Old Oct 26th 2005, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Hi Rob

Basically there is no Pet passport scheme from UK to Oz - so your dog will have to do 30 days in Australian quarantine - its annoying but will pass quickly for your pet. As the poster above says you are best to use a pet shipper and they will keep you right with what vaccinations to get done and when - they will also tell you when to take the dog for its blood tests. Good luck and if you have any other questions just ask!

Lynn

Thanks Lyn will do.

Rob
Old Oct 26th 2005, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Welshie
It's easier getting a Pet Shipping Co to take care of it all for you. We are using Golden Arrow. They are sorting everything and explain all the details, what you need, when to have vaccinations, blood tests etc etc etc!! It can be a bit daunting if you don't know where to start. There are a couple of recommended pet shippers that people here have used. Airpets are another name that come up a lot.

I rang Golden Arrow and next day they've sent me detailed instructions what to do next and a quote etc. I accepted and I had a letter this morning confirming they have reserved a place for my dog on a BA flight the day we are flying out.

Basically your pet has to be microchipped and vaccinations up to date for them to apply for the import permit. When having their vaccinations (within 12 months of leaving and at leat 14 days before) DO NOT include the lepto vaccine with the vaccines. Then within 30 days of shipment your vet will need to do some blood tests to ensure pet is okay for shipment.
If you want further info let me know.

Good luck

Rachel
Our youngest dog is 14 months old and is due his lepto vac now. He will be travelling within 6 months - should I delay the vac? Or will that have any ill effect on his health?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
Our youngest dog is 14 months old and is due his lepto vac now. He will be travelling within 6 months - should I delay the vac? Or will that have any ill effect on his health?
Have just re-read all my dog bumph - DO NOT HAVE lepto vac booster within six months of travel or he is likely to fail blood test later and then won't be allowed to travel. (Didn't have a clue about all this a week ago, but feel like an expert now) Michelle
Old Oct 27th 2005, 7:24 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Johnstons

Just reading all my doggy import stuff. DO NOT have lepto vaccine...

Old Oct 27th 2005, 7:30 pm
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice

Rob
What dog do you have Rob?
Most breeds have no problems, we have a bulldog and its getting very complicated.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bigjugs
What dog do you have Rob?
Most breeds have no problems, we have a bulldog and its getting very complicated.
Hi Craig & Sarah
We have a mad English Springer Spaniel,so should be straight forward enough. Are you having problems with the fact he is short nosed and the difficulties with breathing.

Rob
Old Oct 27th 2005, 7:44 pm
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice

Hi Craig & Sarah
We have a mad English Springer Spaniel,so should be straight forward enough. Are you having problems with the fact he is short nosed and the difficulties with breathing.

Rob
Yes, you have hit the nail on the head, he is on the stretching table now being turned into a boxer, as for some reason no one has a problem flying them!

Good luck