Pet foods

Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:08 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pet foods

Having posted other food questions, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what pet foods are like in Oz? (Not from personal tasting, of course! )

From what I saw on our visit, I suspect that, like the UK, there are many varieties of commercial pet foods around, but I'm wondering what Expat Pets eat now? I'm interested in finding out about cat and dog food.

Thanks.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Chalkfarm will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pet foods

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Having posted other food questions, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what pet foods are like in Oz? (Not from personal tasting, of course! )

From what I saw on our visit, I suspect that, like the UK, there are many varieties of commercial pet foods around, but I'm wondering what Expat Pets eat now? I'm interested in finding out about cat and dog food.

Thanks.
Our dog still eats Pedigree, but in a roll form and then has a mix of dried food with it ,again pedigree.When we got here we made the mistake of buying our food from a pet shop.It was good stuff but so expensive and no different from what he eats now.We buy the roll from Coles as it is fresh ,and the mix from Big W(woolworths).Hope this helps and I agree I would not fancy trying it!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Our cat eats raw roo meat with a mix of dehydrated veggies, barley, oats, garlic and a load of other stuff that I have to put in water 24 hours before I make up his mix.

He absolutley loves it and the vet has commented on how healthy he is and looks.

We find this a lot cheaper way to feed him compared to cans and I believe it is loads better for him.

Hels
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:29 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Thanks.
Don't know what it's exactly like for range of cat food in the UK in today's market ( last time I bought pet food in the Uk was over 13 years ago) , but there is plenty of choice here, the usual brands. Whiskers, Friskies, dine etc

some average prices for you for cat food.

Friskies dried cat food (kilo box, or maybe a kilo half, can't remember the exact weight) - around $3.80
big bags of "special diet" dried cat food ( can't remember the name of it for the life of me, yet I buy it all the time .It isn't a major brand like Friskies etc -- comes in a blue foil bag) - around $10
Snappy Tom tinned food ( don't know if you get that over in the UK?) around $1.20
generic brand tins - around 60 cents, 40 cents for the small half tins
The poncey looking cat food which looks better than my cooking lol, such as small tins of Dine, the gourmet food brands ( the little expensive one small meal tins) from 75c to $120 - depending on the brand.
big bag of cat litter, generic brand - around $4.60

whole aisle of pet food here in supermarkets like in the UK.

what do my cats eat? The above plus anything that takes their fancy that we have on our plates

currently slave to two cats , age 13 yrs old and 4 yrs old

cheers
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Hiya,
My cats are like many others...fussy! My two eldest (4 1/2 yrs ) had Whiskers kitten food, then one day decided they didn't like it anymore. This was in the uk and we fed them 'Classic' (tin food/sachets). They also very much favoured fishy flavours. We brought 3 over, including Logan (1 yr 3 months), and they've prefer Whiskers to anything else, especially the chicken and turkey??!! The Snappy Tom and Whiskers fish flavours actually have proper bits of fish in them!! Very surprised and thought they'd love 'em but they can take it or leave it.

I'm a pet sitter, and owners have a lot of choice, so I see quite an array. One of my cats gets fed the roo meat mentioned in another thread. It's in individual vacuum pack portions, and goes down well. Not so keen on it myself, but this cat gets filtered water too!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:15 am
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by logan
Hiya,
My cats are like many others...fussy! My two eldest (4 1/2 yrs ) had Whiskers kitten food, then one day decided they didn't like it anymore. This was in the uk and we fed them 'Classic' (tin food/sachets). They also very much favoured fishy flavours. We brought 3 over, including Logan (1 yr 3 months), and they've prefer Whiskers to anything else, especially the chicken and turkey??!! The Snappy Tom and Whiskers fish flavours actually have proper bits of fish in them!! Very surprised and thought they'd love 'em but they can take it or leave it.

I'm a pet sitter, and owners have a lot of choice, so I see quite an array. One of my cats gets fed the roo meat mentioned in another thread. It's in individual vacuum pack portions, and goes down well. Not so keen on it myself, but this cat gets filtered water too!
My two cats have decided that Whiskas is the fave rave although when we lived in Florida they wouldn't touch it!!!! As an alternative they will eat Purr. No way will they eat the roo meat, I ended up throwing it all out! They could do with a few more brands though...my two won't consider the "Casserole" versions or anything with chunks in it unless I mash it to a pulp! This rules out Go Cat, Snappy Tom etc. They lived on Friskies in the States, won't eat it here! They loved the Kitekat Seafood flavour but they've stopped doing it in the tins unless you want to spend a fortune on those little foil sachets (if you can get them) at 50c per sachet. Prices...Whiskas you can get for 89c on special otherwise $1.09 and up, Purr about the same. Regular size box of crunchies approx $2.80 (Cat Meow) to $3.50+ for Whiskas with Vitabites. Supermarkets own brands approx 70C per tin but my two turn their little noses up, fussy sods! Other than that tinned Salmon (human food) $1.70 ish if you are feeling flush!

Do you get the impression that they rule the house? LOL

MC
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:33 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Thanks.
Kangaroo meat