Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pet Export: Info Thread

Pet Export: Info Thread

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Export: Info Thread

Here are some quotes from various companies that we got Nov/Ded 2006.

I think we are going to go with Ryslip, I'm just trying to haggle the price down a wee bit.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
Inca Oz costs PUBLIC.xls (19.0 KB, 181 views)
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

So do most not deal with everything Oz side as well? I'd like someone to do it all as it is the singlest biggest thing that will stress us out leaving our dogs for the flight. :scared:

Can you recommend any companies that do it all????

Thanks Wendy
ps, very good post, thank you for all replies
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at cost for taking a female GSD from Scotland to Perth.

Worried though as silly dog eats spiders - maybe not a good idea?
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 5:14 pm
skye

Excellent post - we live in shropshire so will probably use Golden Arrow - they do seem to be one of the best - we have a 4 year old english springer and a 2 year old cocker spaniel - why is it they cost more to move over than the contents of our entire house which has taken more years to accumulate??

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Mr_Sea-Breeze is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marvinc
So do most not deal with everything Oz side as well? I'd like someone to do it all as it is the singlest biggest thing that will stress us out leaving our dogs for the flight. :scared:

Can you recommend any companies that do it all????

Thanks Wendy
ps, very good post, thank you for all replies
Its my understanding that there is nothing to do at the Aus end. Once the quarantine is booked thats it. The quarantine centre staff collect the dog from the airport and take it straight to the quarantine centre. You visit & collect the dog after 30 days - sorted?

If i'm incorrect someone please put me right

Cheers

Mr S-B
Old Jan 4th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr_Sea-Breeze
Its my understanding that there is nothing to do at the Aus end. Once the quarantine is booked thats it. The quarantine centre staff collect the dog from the airport and take it straight to the quarantine centre. You visit & collect the dog after 30 days - sorted?

If i'm incorrect someone please put me right

Cheers

Mr S-B
No, you're right I think! Also once you apply for the import permit that automatically books you a place in quarantine, and then the quarantine people pick the animal up from the airport.
But I suppose if there were any problems it might be good if there was an office in Australia - if only for the convenience of being able to ring them without staying up all night!

NB Ryslip prices have now gone up a bit, they say because of vets' charges.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by esperanza
...Also once you apply for the import permit that automatically books you a place in quarantine....
That isnt what happened to me, The AQIS permit tells me that i have to now go and book my quarantine at one of the 3 centres but it doesnt appear to have booked it for me.

I would check that out if i were you

Cheers

Mr S-B
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by midgetjan
I'm looking at cost for taking a female GSD from Scotland to Perth.

Worried though as silly dog eats spiders - maybe not a good idea?
We brought our female GSD to Perth with Golden Arrow. She gets out of quarantine on Thursday. She cost us about £2500 plus $800 we have to pay on Thursday. She seems fine when we visit just a bit fat!!
Tracie
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mr_Sea-Breeze
That isnt what happened to me, The AQIS permit tells me that i have to now go and book my quarantine at one of the 3 centres but it doesnt appear to have booked it for me.

I would check that out if i were you

Cheers

Mr S-B
Well, I haven't done it yet - we have decided just to pay through the nose and let someone else handle it - but it is the information that I was given from 2 or 3 different sources. I suppose it is possible that the system has changed? I don't know!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Well, I haven't done it yet - we have decided just to pay through the nose and let someone else handle it - but it is the information that I was given from 2 or 3 different sources. I suppose it is possible that the system has changed? I don't know!
I understand now - doh! If you have an agent doing it for you then they will book it all for you; I think that is the way we will go, pay lots of money and let someone do it for us

Cheers

Mr S-B
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
We brought our female GSD to Perth with Golden Arrow. She gets out of quarantine on Thursday. She cost us about £2500 plus $800 we have to pay on Thursday. She seems fine when we visit just a bit fat!!
Tracie
Thank you for the information.

Jan
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:27 pm
fidge

fidge is on a distinguished road

any 1 no if they can fly dogs out of manchester area? we have a rotty to go to perth hopefully in june/july 07 and any 1 no any companys local to manchester?
thanks phil
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'm in the process of sorting this out (don't leave until next year, but it's one less thing to sort). Have found out loads of info so I thought I'd bung it all in a thread. I'll update it as and when the quotes and stuff arrive and also when we've decided who we're going with.

Pet Export

We are exporting our pets – a dog called Cally (Collie/Springer cross) and a cat called Mukka (flat-coated persian cross) to Australia in 2006 and I thought I’d post the stuff we found out, in case it was more up-to-date than the older threads we turned up on the site.

We first phoned Defra (www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine who sent us a very useful pack regarding exporting animals to Australia. The pack explains exactly what you need to do so if you’ve got a bit of time and energy on your hands you could probably take care of everything yourself. Given how crap I am at form-filling we’re going to use a company for most of the stuff, but the option is there. Also had a read of the stuff on the AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service ) about importing cats and dogs. There’s a PDF available on the site which explains the process and also the costs involved – very handy document.

To give you some idea of what’s involved – some of the things on the A4 list include:
• Import permit from the Australian Vetinary Authorities
• Export health certificate from Defra
• Examination carried out not more than four days prior to export
• Written declaration by the owner/exporter stating whether or not the dog has been neutered.
• Dog must be micro-chipped, resident of the UK for more than 6 months and tested and vaccinated for a vast array of viruses included parvo, hep and lepto.

Par Air (www.parair.co.uk - 01206 330332) – sound a bit low rent – don’t answer the phone as Par Air for instance, but as ‘Colchester 330332’. Need to know the length (tip of nose to tip of tail) and height (ground to top of ears or head whichever is highest) of the dog. After the unpromising start the lady did sound pretty clued up and came up with an initial quote of £1742 which simply covered the actual shipping of the dog, not the vaccinations before-hand or things like the import certificate ($200) or indeed the cost of keeping the dog in quarantine in Australia. So, kind of a hybrid service then – probably useful if you don’t mind taking on the paperwork and want to save yourself a few quid.

Bristol Vale Vets (01275 832489) – this was the number recommended to us by Defra. These ones are local to us – no doubt you’ll get a similar recommendation for the area you live in. Hell of a lot more impressed by these guys. Lady was friendly and informative – wanted a different measurement of the dog (reckoned she’d saved us £500 by getting a lying-down measurement). They can take care of the whole process from start to end including all the Australia-side stuff. If you sign up with them, they produce a time-sheet for you which lays out exactly what you’ve got to get done and when – blood tests and the like. Prior to export you can either drop the animal off yourself or get it/them picked up. Obviously since they’re a vets they have the necessary bods on hand to do the final tests, something the lady said was preferable because “the Australians like to see just one vet’s signature on the test sheets�.

Lady Hayes (www.ladyhaye.co.uk - 01342 832161)– didn’t bother contacting these guys after reading this http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=pet+export post on the subject and because they’ve got a really shite web-site.

Animal Airlines (www.animalairlines.co.uk – 01625 827414). Wouldn’t give me a quote over the phone – pointed me towards the website – promised a quote by return of email (whatever that is). Website wouldn’t work with Firefox (there goes 10% of their potential customers) had to use crappy old Internet Explorer – at least the website looked semi-competent. Yet another variation on the measurements required – this time excluding the tail. Cat took food trap, but buggered off sharpish before we could weigh/measure her. Trapped cat later with promise of fish (sucker). Awaiting the ‘return of email’ response.

Golden Arrow (01588 680240) lots of positive stuff about this company on the site, so I Googled for ‘em but couldn’t find a damned thing – eventually found the phone number in someone else’s post. Gave ‘em a ring, asked why they had no web site and he proudly(!) said ‘no computers here’. Hmm – traditional is great, but he could save himself a shitload of time and effort by having a simple website. Anyway – he sounded nice enough and promised to wang a pack in the post for us. Didn’t ask for any measurements, so it looks like being a fairly drawn-out process even at the start.

Airpets (www.airpets.com - 01753 685571 or 0800 371554) – otherwise known as Airpets Oceanic. Mixed experiences people have had with this company judging by the posts on the site. Having read all such posts though I think they were probably unfairly tarnished (down to pre-flight dog walks) and so I gave ‘em a chance. Web site the most professional by far – although whoever had the bright idea of putting the ‘Pet Crematorium’ link right on the front page directly underneath ‘Departures from the UK, deserves a slap. Gave ‘em a ring – spoke to a pleasant lady who asked the usual details (length, height, width etc). She said that since we weren’t in a massive hurry (we plan to emigrate July 06) – would we mind if the quote came in about 10 days, as they were very busy at the moment. I said that was fine. She asked if we wanted to include pick-up from our home to Heathrow and I said to go ahead. She said that quotes were only valid for six months, so we’d have to ge re-quoted nearer the time.
Thank you very much for your interesting info. My little Yorkie is 16 this year and I am terrified that something will happen to her either on the way or in quarantine but cannot leave her behind. Have you or anyone else taken older dogs Ok. Dont think I want to hear any tales of WO, please only positive.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fidge
any 1 no if they can fly dogs out of manchester area? we have a rotty to go to perth hopefully in june/july 07 and any 1 no any companys local to manchester?
thanks phil
I think Golden Arrow are in your direction - I live SW and didn't use them because they were too far north.... (It's all "north" to me!!)
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all

I think Golden Arrow are in your direction - I live SW and didn't use them because they were too far north.... (It's all "north" to me!!)
Hi,

Yes after reading all the posts it appears that Golden Arrow are one of the best. Thanks for your help