Pet Export

Old Jan 16th 2005, 6:19 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pet Export

Originally Posted by suzy a
Hi there Kate!

We are still waiting to hear if we have got our visas but one of the things worrying me most is will our dog cope with the trip and quarantine!!??

He is 8 years old and a Tibetan Terrier, he is very quiet and very very pampered, he has never been in kennels before and only stayed with my mum when we have been on holiday.

I wanted to ask which quarantine station did you have to use and did you go and visit your dog and cats - if you did how did you get on??? We are going to Adelaide and the nearest quarantine station is Melbourne so we will have to travel to see our dog if we want to. Did you provide them with your own bedding/toys and treats??

As you have guessed I am pretty stressed about this already!! :scared:
Hope you can help

Suzy
Hi Suzy

Like you I am also worried about how my 4 year old border collie X Poppy will be in a crate and on a loud scary flight. She has been in kennels before during my wedding (2003) and when we picked her up after 2 weeks she had no bark left (it took her ages to get it back). I worry incase she barks the whole flight and becomes dehydrated with the heat. Poppy was a rescue dog from the SSPCA and I got her at 3 months old. She is very pampered and a very intelligent but excitable dog. Can anyone reassure me on this one?

As we are moving to Brisbane she will spend quarantine in Sydney so not sure how we will go about collecting her and visiting.

I would like to use Golden arrow as they seem to come highly recommended but not sure if I can living in glasgow/ Scotland?

I would love to get feedback from anyone in a similar position and share info and worries with other neurotic dog owners (and cats )

Lynn
p.s this is Poppy here!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Pet Export-poppy1.jpg  

Last edited by lynnlovessun; Jan 16th 2005 at 6:22 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

Lyn
We are taking 2 golden retrievers age 12 and 8 and have similar worries. Most say the dogs sleep most of the time and are well cared for on the journey and also the quarantine. My brother in law has inspected the Melbourne facilities and reports that they are excellent.
Roger
Old Jan 16th 2005, 6:34 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RogerUK
Lyn
We are taking 2 golden retrievers age 12 and 8 and have similar worries. Most say the dogs sleep most of the time and are well cared for on the journey and also the quarantine. My brother in law has inspected the Melbourne facilities and reports that they are excellent.
Roger

Thanks for that Roger.
I am worried about silly things like bedding - on another thread I seem to remember someone saying that you couldn't send your dogs bed with them and that they slept on a sack in quarantine! Poppy sleeps on her doggie bean bag at night and loves to lie under her fleece throw!!!!! I think it would be better for her to have familiar bedding in quarantine but not sure how I go about this? I think it is for quarantine reasons that bedding is not sent? I presume I could ship her beds over in the container - I don't want to get rid of her beds as they are decent ones and were quite pricey.
I think it is the whole idea of her becoming a nervous wreck and overheating that bothers me, you just can't predict how your pets will react.

Lynn
Old Jan 16th 2005, 6:37 pm
toocheeky

Hi there Lynn (sorry to butt in)

You got me thinking now....

I also have concerns for shipping our 3yr old Golden Retriever. How she will cope with the flight and everything. I am gonna be so worried. Golden Arrow are highly recommended, so I def want to use them, even though they are miles away!

We will be going to Perth, does anyone have any info/experience of Perth Quarantine?

Many, many thanks,
Karen

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Hi Suzy

Like you I am also worried about how my 4 year old border collie X Poppy will be in a crate and on a loud scary flight. She has been in kennels before during my wedding (2003) and when we picked her up after 2 weeks she had no bark left (it took her ages to get it back). I worry incase she barks the whole flight and becomes dehydrated with the heat. Poppy was a rescue dog from the SSPCA and I got her at 3 months old. She is very pampered and a very intelligent but excitable dog. Can anyone reassure me on this one?

As we are moving to Brisbane she will spend quarantine in Sydney so not sure how we will go about collecting her and visiting.

I would like to use Golden arrow as they seem to come highly recommended but not sure if I can living in glasgow/ Scotland?

I would love to get feedback from anyone in a similar position and share info and worries with other neurotic dog owners (and cats )

Lynn
p.s this is Poppy here!!!!

Old Jan 16th 2005, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

Lynn
Whilst I think the flight may be stressful for the dogs I also think that quarantine may be very interesting for them, other dogs and staff who will no doubt spoil them rotten. I have been advised not to visit them during quarantine due to the stress involved, both human and canine. As for the bedding if they are tired they will sleep on anything and after the first night even a bit of sack will be ok.
Roger
Old Jan 16th 2005, 7:53 pm
The Wonderdog

Ozger is on a distinguished road

You're only allowed 2 visits/week and usually get to take them into an enclosed excercise area. Although it was hard for us to walk away again after your 2 hours, the enjoyment they obviously get when you're there makes it worth it.

However, our dog was in Quarantine for 40 days until 9th Jan. During that time the shelter in Melbourne had a bout of kennel cough and they wouldn't let any of the dogs out of their kennels for 2 WEEKS!

They don't allow bedding during the flight, but you can take whatever you want for them when they're in quarantine....bedding, bones, squeaky toys etc.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 8:01 pm
toocheeky

Hi Ozger,

Thanks for this. I will definately be visiting our dog. I couldnt bare not to see her for that length of time. My dog has had treatment against kennel cough (optional) which she has every 12 months from the vet.

During the flight I was on the understanding that the crate is filled with shredded paper therefore its comfortable for the dog, absorbs any mess and helps keep them clean. Is this right?

Thanks in advance for any info,
Karen

Originally Posted by Ozger
You're only allowed 2 visits/week and usually get to take them into an enclosed excercise area. Although it was hard for us to walk away again after your 2 hours, the enjoyment they obviously get when you're there makes it worth it.

However, our dog was in Quarantine for 40 days until 9th Jan. During that time the shelter in Melbourne had a bout of kennel cough and they wouldn't let any of the dogs out of their kennels for 2 WEEKS!

They don't allow bedding during the flight, but you can take whatever you want for them when they're in quarantine....bedding, bones, squeaky toys etc.

Old Jan 16th 2005, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Hello all Pet Lovers,
Bit of a bizarre question - does anyone know of any supplements that you can give cats to boost their immunity before sending them off on flight and into quarantine.
My poor cat is a bit of a wimp - so think she may need a wee bit of help to build her up!!!
Any advice greatfully appreciated.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 8:07 pm
The Wonderdog

Ozger is on a distinguished road

Yes, that's right. They don't allow the usual bedding so that they can just wash out the crate when they get there.

From our experience at the kennels, they were kept very clean, they do provide extra bedding (blankets) for your pet when they arrive and there's plenty of room for them to run around in there. I'd say that the runs are each about 50 feet long x 12 feet wide and the sleeping area 4ft x 4ft with a raised wooden bed and a heat lamp hanging from the roof for when it gets cold.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 8:23 pm
toocheeky

Thanks for reply Ozger,

Sounds like they have tonnes of room which is brill (puts my mind at rest).
And the raised bed means they dont feel the draughts. (My dog is pampered too! )

I keep telling myself its just for a short time and then she will be re-united with us.

Hi Kristine!!!!!!

Howya doing babe?!! Thanks for your nice message (karma) I was a bit shocked about the split I will get over it though.

About your cat, have you thought of asking your vet/vet nurse? There are lots of herbal type supplements available, through your vet or pet shop. I will have a look for you and if I see anything I will pm you and let you know.

Thanks,
Karen
xx

Old Jan 16th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by toocheeky
Thanks for reply Ozger,

Sounds like they have tonnes of room which is brill (puts my mind at rest).
And the raised bed means they dont feel the draughts. (My dog is pampered too! )

I keep telling myself its just for a short time and then she will be re-united with us.

Hi Kristine!!!!!!

Howya doing babe?!! Thanks for your nice message (karma) I was a bit shocked about the split I will get over it though.

About your cat, have you thought of asking your vet/vet nurse? There are lots of herbal type supplements available, through your vet or pet shop. I will have a look for you and if I see anything I will pm you and let you know.

Thanks,
Karen
xx
Hi Karen,
Yes when I heard about the split I immediately thought of you and had a wee chuckle to myself.lol
I do need to speak to the Vet, I have added it on to my ever growing to do list.
K
Old Jan 17th 2005, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about
Angry Re: Pet Export

.......£2336. ( I know! )

And theres another $260 on top of that for 30 days quarantine. This is the cheapest quote Ive had but its a bit dated now (06/09/04) so Ill have some more done as soon as we get visas.

Btw the quote is from Golden Arrow Shippers, they dont have a website/email addy but their contact details are....

Golden Arrow Shippers,
Lydbury North,
Shropshire,
SY7 8DY

Tel no 01 588 680 240

They have a good reputation.

Hope this helps!

Karen

I just gave these guys a call and would just like to add that if you call and get the bloke i spoke to he is enough to put you off for life.
All i got was was a very arrogant man who couldnt even be bothered to introduce the company and it took about 4 questions to him to before i realised i did have the right number. It was only when i said if he wasnt bothered i could look elsewhere that he spoke to me properly. It just goes to show it doesnt matter how good your reputation is if you have naff staff you lose custom. They shan't be getting mine.

annn
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:39 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

hey guys

was just reading this and thought i'd add in my 2 pence worth...

Well as you may know I am using Golden Arrow to ship Montu out, at a cost of £1750, she is booked on a flight for 8th Feb with BA. As we are flying on 30th Jan, she will stay with my parents for 7 days then Steve will pick her up from my mums the day before her flight.

Steve said that she will travel with sreaded paper for bedding as this is best and she can take 1 toy and have an item of clothing with our sent on it in her crate with her. (this will be destroyed upon arrival) I have lots of info on Melbourne quarentine station and they sound very nice and you can visit twice a week.

I took Montu for her blood tests yesturday and her kennel cough vaccine. It was the worst thing ever. Montu loves going to the vets (strange i know) but she is so friendly and as she is only 10 months old she doesnt know of badness yet, as she is so spoilt and papered at home by us.

Anyway, she bounded into the vets and she had to give her paw, which she handed over willingly, then the vet stuck a great big needle in her vien to draw blood. Poor Montu struggled to get away and the needle came out, which the vet said will of hurt her, then another nurse had to come in and hold her while they tried to get another vien, it was awful, her little face was looking at me as if to say, "mummy save me, why are you letting them hurt me" Then she had to have her frontline applied and her kennel cough, by this time she was petrified and was hiding under the couch thinggie. The vet nurse had to hold her and cover her eyes, while they put the kennel cough jab up her nose........aw, im so glad its over, i wish i could explain to her why this was happening, i feel so guilty, hope she loves aus as much as i think she will, so that this has all been worth it.

So what i will do is keep you all updated on what happens next, as i am so soft and i will really tell it like it is.

I know i will be the worst person ever that Melbourne quarentine has had to deal with, i will be there as often as i can wangle and ill be crying everytime i have to leave montu...you never know if i get on their nerves enough they might even release her early LOL....

But seriously, i'll update you all and tell you anything youneed to know, so if you think of any questions just ask and i'll reply as soon as i find out the answers..........

The one good thing is at least we get there before montu and i can take a bed and some toys there ready for her arrival so that its not too bad when she lands, as she will of been apart from us for a week already (which is the longest time ever).

Good luck

laura
xxxx
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:58 pm
toocheeky

Hi Laura,

Thanks for this.
Our dog has had the kennel cough treatment before and its not nice for them is it? Poor things.

Thanks for the information and any updates on Montu are welcome ( and on yourself and JC too! )

Wishing all the best for your new life down under,
Karen
xx
(Ill send you a pm)

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hey guys

was just reading this and thought i'd add in my 2 pence worth...

Well as you may know I am using Golden Arrow to ship Montu out, at a cost of £1750, she is booked on a flight for 8th Feb with BA. As we are flying on 30th Jan, she will stay with my parents for 7 days then Steve will pick her up from my mums the day before her flight.

Steve said that she will travel with sreaded paper for bedding as this is best and she can take 1 toy and have an item of clothing with our sent on it in her crate with her. (this will be destroyed upon arrival) I have lots of info on Melbourne quarentine station and they sound very nice and you can visit twice a week.

I took Montu for her blood tests yesturday and her kennel cough vaccine. It was the worst thing ever. Montu loves going to the vets (strange i know) but she is so friendly and as she is only 10 months old she doesnt know of badness yet, as she is so spoilt and papered at home by us.

Anyway, she bounded into the vets and she had to give her paw, which she handed over willingly, then the vet stuck a great big needle in her vien to draw blood. Poor Montu struggled to get away and the needle came out, which the vet said will of hurt her, then another nurse had to come in and hold her while they tried to get another vien, it was awful, her little face was looking at me as if to say, "mummy save me, why are you letting them hurt me" Then she had to have her frontline applied and her kennel cough, by this time she was petrified and was hiding under the couch thinggie. The vet nurse had to hold her and cover her eyes, while they put the kennel cough jab up her nose........aw, im so glad its over, i wish i could explain to her why this was happening, i feel so guilty, hope she loves aus as much as i think she will, so that this has all been worth it.

So what i will do is keep you all updated on what happens next, as i am so soft and i will really tell it like it is.

I know i will be the worst person ever that Melbourne quarentine has had to deal with, i will be there as often as i can wangle and ill be crying everytime i have to leave montu...you never know if i get on their nerves enough they might even release her early LOL....

But seriously, i'll update you all and tell you anything youneed to know, so if you think of any questions just ask and i'll reply as soon as i find out the answers..........

The one good thing is at least we get there before montu and i can take a bed and some toys there ready for her arrival so that its not too bad when she lands, as she will of been apart from us for a week already (which is the longest time ever).

Good luck

laura
xxxx

Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:02 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Laura,

Thanks for this.
Our dog has had the kennel cough treatment before and its not nice for them is it? Poor things.

Thanks for the information and any updates on Montu are welcome ( and on yourself and JC too! )

Wishing all the best for your new life down under,
Karen
xx
(Ill send you a pm)
Karen!!!!!
OMG, where is the Panda? Cheeky is that you? You have had plastic surgery? What was wrong with being a panda?????

Thanks speak to u soon
laura
xxxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.