Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pet cat in Australia

Pet cat in Australia

Old May 10th 2013, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet cat in Australia

Hi Amy

Depending on where you end up living you may have to keep your cat in all the time or build an outside run for it. Each council has different rules.

We live in the cat-hating shire of Mornington in VIC and cats are not allowed off the property. If they do they get a $100 fine, so make sure they have their credit card with them if they go wandering

We also have to have them registered with the council otherwise there is a $2k fine or something stupid and for our size block are only allowed to have 2 cats or 3 domestic mice - is there really a council dept who makes this stuff up???? If I want another cat, dog or even dare to go to 4 domestic mice (not sure about the wild ones though) I have to get a special licence.

Anyway, we live opposite fields and a busy road so wouldn't want to let them out but we netted in our alfresco so they can go out and play, sun etc without them escaping over the fence. You'll find there are a lot of companies doing netting and enclosures here and they can basically do any property, they are actually quite clever with their designs.

Hope you and puss will be very happy here!
Old May 10th 2013, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

General consensus from any country person I could find re cats and snakes, is people are more or just as likely to get bitten.
Old May 10th 2013, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Country-ish person here. Cats and dogs get killed by snakes and ticks round here. I know the ex-owners. Tick bites can be very expensive to treat.

Cats and dogs have to fully fenced in, not allowed out unleashed. Bait is laid to kill feral dogs and cats.
Old May 11th 2013, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
Bait is laid to kill feral dogs and cats.
And traps. I would prefer to use 1080 bait but I no longer have access, so if I see cats on my property......
Old May 11th 2013, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Followed the snake catcher today guess he was off to a job. Remember we are not allowed to kill snakes, they are protected and have to be moved to a more suitable area by a handler.

I have had one in my garden here on the Mornington Peninsula and I have three cats because I am allowed three cats or three dogs as we have larger land. Have to keep them on our land though as has been said.

Kookaburras get the snakes too.

Areas around the western suburbs of Melbourne and the Yarra River have snakes and anywhere where there is water usually attracts them.