Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth's Northern suburbs ?

Perth's Northern suburbs ?

Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth's Northern suburbs ?

Morning / evening all.

There has been a lot on here lately about Perth's Northern suburbs - a lot of it has been negative.

When we were over earlier in the year we stayed in Quinns Rocks and found it really nice. We also saw lot of the other Northern 'burbs and thought that they, too, looked nice.

I appreciate everyone has differing tastes and experiences, but we were aiming to live in the Northern 'burbs next year but are having some doubts now.

What say you Perthites ?

< lights blue touchpaper and steps back >
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:55 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth's Northern suburbs ?

Erm, what can I say really apart from the suburbs are functional, mostly clean and respectable, but rather bland. They're affectionately known as "Lego-Land".

You'll find yourselves surrounded by Brits too. I mean, I am one, but I rather hoped I'd be moving to oz to live amongst Aussies! We can't afford to move now to somewhere older and more Aussiefied..i;e Inglewood, Woodlands, Dianella...way too pricey.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

We are also NOR............Kinross to be precise. We like it here and the schools are pretty good as well.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Erm, what can I say really apart from the suburbs are functional, mostly clean and respectable, but rather bland. They're affectionately known as "Lego-Land".

You'll find yourselves surrounded by Brits too. I mean, I am one, but I rather hoped I'd be moving to oz to live amongst Aussies! We can't afford to move now to somewhere older and more Aussiefied..i;e Inglewood, Woodlands, Dianella...way too pricey.

Where do you live ? ( if you don't mind me asking )

And do you like it, despite its' blandness ?
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
We are also NOR............Kinross to be precise. We like it here and the schools are pretty good as well.

We saw some of Kinross and thought it looked really nice. Clean, litter-free and well laid out. Do you like it there ?
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:12 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elmtree
Where do you live ? ( if you don't mind me asking )

And do you like it, despite its' blandness ?
We live in Tapping and yes it's fine. It's a private estate and very new. There is a brand new primary school ready to open in January, which sounds though it will be good.

I suppose, for me personally, I'd prefer to live in something older, with more character and garden. The gardens here are all a bit postage stamp like.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TraceyW
We live in Tapping and yes it's fine. It's a private estate and very new. There is a brand new primary school ready to open in January, which sounds though it will be good.

I suppose, for me personally, I'd prefer to live in something older, with more character and garden. The gardens here are all a bit postage stamp like.

Sounds and looks nice. Close to Lake J, too. How long does it take you to drive to the beach ? About 15 mins ?
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

We saw some of Kinross and thought it looked really nice. Clean, litter-free and well laid out. Do you like it there ?

Yeah we like it. We rented here when we first arrived, then bought our first house in the same road.

We sold that house in July, looked at Mindarie, Quinns, Butler and even thought about building.
We then found our dream house....................in kinross!!!

The local shops have just opened, I can walk to Currambine station, and be on the beach in about 5 minutes
Old Dec 9th 2006, 11:07 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Perth's Northern suburbs ?

Morning / evening all.

There has been a lot on here lately about Perth's Northern suburbs - a lot of it has been negative.

When we were over earlier in the year we stayed in Quinns Rocks and found it really nice. We also saw lot of the other Northern 'burbs and thought that they, too, looked nice.

I appreciate everyone has differing tastes and experiences, but we were aiming to live in the Northern 'burbs next year but are having some doubts now.

What say you Perthites ?

There's a few bad eggs, but some very nice places too. I was raised in Craigie, which was a brand new area and very cheap back then. Now it's much more expensive, but still a pleasant place to live. In fact, Hillarys, Craigie and Kingsley are all good suburbs.

If you've already visited the northern suburbs and liked what you saw, then go for it. Don't be put off by other people's personal preferences.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Yeah we like it. We rented here when we first arrived, then bought our first house in the same road.

We sold that house in July, looked at Mindarie, Quinns, Butler and even thought about building.
We then found our dream house....................in kinross!!!

The local shops have just opened, I can walk to Currambine station, and be on the beach in about 5 minutes

I like the sound of that !

We were very impressed by the trains. Caught the train from Clarkson into Perth a few times.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
There's a few bad eggs, but some very nice places too. I was raised in Craigie, which was a brand new area and very cheap back then. Now it's much more expensive, but still a pleasant place to live. In fact, Hillarys, Craigie and Kingsley are all good suburbs.

If you've already visited the northern suburbs and liked what you saw, then go for it. Don't be put off by other people's personal preferences.

I think you are right. I'm sure some people wouldn't live anywhere other than Applecross, but it's a fraction out of our price range ( by about $2m !! )
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:06 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

For once I am going to agree with something that TraceyW says. The far northern suburbs might be very nice but they are rows and rows of housing that all look pretty similar. We nearly bought in Tapping and the road we looked at didn't have a tree on it and was opposite a building site. Now if you like that sort of thing then you will be fine. The houses were beautiful and new but to me had no soul, just not my cup of tea. For me you have to be West of Wanneroo Rd and and no further north than Kinross. But thats just me.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning / evening all.

What say you Perthites ?

We live in Carramar, opposite Tapping. Quite a new estate too, but nothing here, except one small corner shop and a Golf course.
Buses are almost none existant, so you must have a car to get around.
I find it abit boring here, Kinross much better.
But a pub is supposed to be getting built and some shops over the next few years, but we will have moved on from then.
Like it has already been mentioned, you can't go by what everyone else tells you...find out for yourselves...
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:34 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Joondalup at the moment (although my folks may be moving to Woodvale in the near future, subject to the sale of the house of the person who wants to buy my Dads house) if that made sense to you, then brilliant!

I have lived in Wanneroo, Woodvale and Joondalup. In fact, the house we first lived in, in Australia (back in 83) in Wanneroo, is up for sale and I checked out the piccies online. It looks so different from when we lived there and it was amazing to see it again.

I love Joondalup but am not sure if I would be able to afford it, come the time we look for a place of our own.

Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

We are in an old suburb(Greenwood) and i really like it here.The streets are wide with trees down the middle.We have parks,shops,train stations and a pub.It may not rock everyones boat but with the space,trees,a nice mix of Italians ,Aussies,and English we are happy.x Irishbloo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.