Perths growth

Old Aug 7th 2003, 6:22 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perths growth

Endless Pom refugees are heading to wonderful Perth I just thought you good people would like to hear some views of this population growth by the local people who have to make room for you.

Can't they see big picture?

THANK goodness The West Australian has given voice to a high-profile academic who understands the dynamics of population growth and is prepared to speak out. There are plenty who won't. Dr Harry Cohen (report, 2/8) has simply told it like it is. Anyone who believes that populations anywhere can continue to grow exponentially is a fool.

Important lessons about exponential growth are being presented right now in the Solomons.

Likewise, our largely uninhabitable island is under enormous stress to provide resources for its unsustainably growing population. How long before our leaders also become totally corrupted as they attempt to retain or regain access to diminishing life-sustaining resources for their own groups?

Water and viable soil in Australia are already threatened finite resources, yet economists like Nicky Cusworth, who obviously has no concept of exponential growth, are still extolling its benefits without actually presenting any valid argument. The ones she presented do not stand up under scrutiny.

She is correct; immigration does create demand for housing, but is that good? The devastating impact of this demand on affordability for first home buyers is being reported as I write. Her god, "economic growth", doesn't represent a better lifestyle for the community, just the fat cats.
BRIAN A. BUCKTIN, Barragup.

Balanced views

CONTRARY to the view of Ms Cusworth, chief economist for the Chamber of Commerce and Industry (report, 2/8), increased population does result in species depletion, land degradation, poor water quality and, furthermore, increased greenhouse-gas emissions, air pollution, increased stress on all resources, a greater gap between wealth and poverty, excessive competition and loss of connection with the earth.

I thank your editor for publishing Dr Cohen's advocacy for population control on the same page for a balanced perspective.
DIANA OLIVER, Hamilton Hill.

Old Aug 7th 2003, 6:30 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Perths growth

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Endless Pom refugees are heading to wonderful Perth I just thought you good people would like to hear some views of this population growth by the local people who have to make room for you.

Can't they see big picture?

THANK goodness The West Australian has given voice to a high-profile academic who understands the dynamics of population growth and is prepared to speak out. There are plenty who won't. Dr Harry Cohen (report, 2/8) has simply told it like it is. Anyone who believes that populations anywhere can continue to grow exponentially is a fool.

Important lessons about exponential growth are being presented right now in the Solomons.

Likewise, our largely uninhabitable island is under enormous stress to provide resources for its unsustainably growing population. How long before our leaders also become totally corrupted as they attempt to retain or regain access to diminishing life-sustaining resources for their own groups?

Water and viable soil in Australia are already threatened finite resources, yet economists like Nicky Cusworth, who obviously has no concept of exponential growth, are still extolling its benefits without actually presenting any valid argument. The ones she presented do not stand up under scrutiny.

She is correct; immigration does create demand for housing, but is that good? The devastating impact of this demand on affordability for first home buyers is being reported as I write. Her god, "economic growth", doesn't represent a better lifestyle for the community, just the fat cats.
BRIAN A. BUCKTIN, Barragup.

Balanced views

CONTRARY to the view of Ms Cusworth, chief economist for the Chamber of Commerce and Industry (report, 2/8), increased population does result in species depletion, land degradation, poor water quality and, furthermore, increased greenhouse-gas emissions, air pollution, increased stress on all resources, a greater gap between wealth and poverty, excessive competition and loss of connection with the earth.

I thank your editor for publishing Dr Cohen's advocacy for population control on the same page for a balanced perspective.
DIANA OLIVER, Hamilton Hill.

We had a luxury but some on said we needed a better economy.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 6:35 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
We had a luxury but some on said we needed a better economy.
The Aussie PR machine over sells what Australia is , the truth is its becoming a suburbian waste land.

Old Aug 7th 2003, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Aussie PR machine over sells what Australia is , the truth is its becoming a suburbian waste land.

When we first started researching, there was one picture of Perth that really shocked. It was of thousands of seemingly identical houses speading out as far as the eye could see. Only one view I grant you, but off putting nonetheless. Its on a popular Aus link somewhere.
LMS
Old Aug 7th 2003, 6:49 am
Banned

Originally posted by sully4441
When we first started researching, there was one picture of Perth that really shocked. It was of thousands of seemingly identical houses speading out as far as the eye could see. Only one view I grant you, but off putting nonetheless. Its on a popular Aus link somewhere.
LMS
In the short time we have been here the growth has been vast , old Burbs are full and new ones are springing up .
There is nowhere in the UK that has had the amount of house building that has happened in Perth over the last 10 years , those who wish to find space and countryside here will need to drive farther out by the year to find it.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 7th 2003 at 6:56 am.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by sully4441
LMS
That is everywhere here, new suburban housing estates, covenants to ensure everyone does the same thing so you know what you are getting next door. You can drive out of any major centre here and all you see is a sea of roofs.

However you dont have to live there! Find an older area of where you want to live, the houses often have fabulous gardens grown out from the neighbours with years of tropical growth. The house may be grotty, do it up.

We found a total cracker, rainforest, creek, waterfall, trees taller than the 3 level house, totally private, however the street was not the sterile new suburb most here want. Its only 1 klm from the village. Nice stuff is out there.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:08 am
Banned

Originally posted by dotty
That is everywhere here, new suburban housing estates, covenants to ensure everyone does the same thing so you know what you are getting next door. You can drive out of any major centre here and all you see is a sea of roofs.

However you dont have to live there! Find an older area of where you want to live, the houses often have fabulous gardens grown out from the neighbours with years of tropical growth. The house may be grotty, do it up.

We found a total cracker, rainforest, creek, waterfall, trees taller than the 3 level house, totally private, however the street was not the sterile new suburb most here want. Its only 1 klm from the village. Nice stuff is out there.
Sounds great but rain forests are not in WA and most new land is in burbs controlled by cram the buggers in developers who are selling smaller blocks sizes every year.

Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:27 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Sounds great but rain forests are not in WA and most new land is in burbs controlled by cram the buggers in developers who are selling smaller blocks sizes every year.

IMPLEMENTING LABOR'S ELECTION COMMITMENT TO PROTECT CANBERRA'S GARDEN CITY CHARACTER
Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:24 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

You might be surprised by some of the houses and flats being developed in the UK now, especially London. Me - I like my Victorian/ Edwardian dimensions and my flat (sold! hooray!) dated from 1750! But when I lasted visited a friend in London, that new flat was like a doll's house, you felt really cramped - and the 'new estate' smaller houses are just as bad.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 1:00 am
Banned

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
You might be surprised by some of the houses and flats being developed in the UK now, especially London. Me - I like my Victorian/ Edwardian dimensions and my flat (sold! hooray!) dated from 1750! But when I lasted visited a friend in London, that new flat was like a doll's house, you felt really cramped - and the 'new estate' smaller houses are just as bad.
Strange thing is my town house in Joondalup is smaller than the rental I have found in the UK and the rents are the same for both homes if mine was rented out.

Old Aug 8th 2003, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

We decided to buy two homes in the Perth Hills on 1/2 acre blocks instead of one home near the sea - our main home we've been renovating over the past year (money pit!) and our rental property is ticking over nicely with great tenants and good future potential as it has views over the valley towards the Coast. We feel we made the right decision - at least we have space around us.

I think ultimately the sea will always attract the Aussies but in the last year we've found the Hills becoming more popular - bigger blocks, more of a community feel, wildlife, trees and still only 1/2 hour to the city, 40 mins to the beach. Not all the homes are neat and tidy up here like the Ocean Suburbs, some gardens are left to grow wild but it all adds to the character!

Another area we were looking at was South Perth, Kensington, Como - plenty of older properties ready for renovation, some with city, river views - there is so much potential. If we'd been granted our visa sooner we would have gone for Applecross, couldn't afford it once we arrived - this suburb has done really well over the past few years.

I would encourage new migrants to be a bit more adventurous and look past the new 4 x 2 homes on 750 sqm block.