Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perths Fishy Friends Sunday Arvo

Perths Fishy Friends Sunday Arvo

Old Aug 18th 2003, 12:39 pm
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road
Default Perths Fishy Friends Sunday Arvo

Ok, I know they're not fish but just had to tell you about the two dolphins we saw in the Swan off Bicton on Sunday. Talk about 'Hey look at us, we're a pair of dolphins, how cool are we?' Came right in close to the jetty, blew air/water at us then, in a too cool for skool way, cruised off up the river.

And we thought we were the ones out for a Sunday arvo stroll....

Also, (and we hadn't been there before) you should really check out the park and sand bar that goes way out into the river at Point Walter - v. nice.

Oh and the brekkie in the Left Bank Cafe in Freo. Mmmm......

Hmm, on the subject of fish spotting, don't suppose I should mention the white pointer (aka great white shark) seen off Cottesloe on Friday.... Anyone for an early morning dip :-)

Mouse.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Cousins will become famous soon enough

Wow! How cool. Loved reading this as i have a fascination with dolphins. When we were in perth a couple of years back we went to the Busselton jetty and whilst minding our own business one popped up out of the water to say hello!! I was speechless! They really are lovely. I cant wait to get out there and see some more.....not to keen on the shark thing tho'!! This is the second time i have heard about a great white being in cottesloe in the same number of weeks!! aarrhh!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We saw two dolphins at Coffs Harbour when we there a year ago - absolutely amazing creatures. I only wish I was there to see them as well!

Thanks for cheering us all up with the story.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough
Default Had a whale of a time!

Went to see Abergas and Co on Sunday, we all went for a walk on the beach down at Port Kennedy and couldn't believe our eyes when we saw a whale, only 20-30 metres out. Really made our day.

Loopy
Old Aug 18th 2003, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, how cool is that?

Know what you mean about the shark though!:scared:

We made the mistake of watching "the science of why shark's attack" on C5 the other week.
Kids have now decided they're never going swimming in the ocean when we get to Oz! Oops!

Last edited by cadman; Aug 18th 2003 at 3:35 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Cousins will become famous soon enough

Yes Cadman!! This is what i watched!! All my dreams of becoming a surfer chick have quickly gone out the window for fear of being eaten!! Think i will stick to just dabbling my toes in the water - where i can clearly see the bottom of course!!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 3:59 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't worry about the sharks too much unless you are an unlucky surfer. Sharks never programmed in eating humans as a viable diet. Most sharks you see are EXTREMELY unlikely to attack humans, eg reef sharks, nurse sharks etc. The nasty ones (eg makos/ bulls/ tigers/ great whites) are not likely to take a swimmer close to shore. Relate it to (say) the chance of death in a road accident. About 1000 times greater chance of death if you travel by car - but that doesn't stop you jumping in the motor, eh?!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:10 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default it's messages like these that..

It's messages like these that keep reminding me why i'm moving to auz. I'm going for the change, not just because everyone is saying it's a better place over there.

At the local (60 miles away) beach here, the only things you see in the water are brown and float. Still if you have a run in with one of those buggers, the experience can be just as unpleasant!

Here's looking forward to seeing some blue water for a change!

thanks for reminder, i can go back to my day dreaming now....
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:34 am
Squeaking Member

Default Re: Had a whale of a time!

Originally posted by Loopy
Went to see Abergas and Co on Sunday, we all went for a walk on the beach down at Port Kennedy and couldn't believe our eyes when we saw a whale, only 20-30 metres out. Really made our day.

Loopy
My dive club's boat got bumped on Sat by a whale off Rotto - how cool is that? Apparently it hung around a bit too see what was going on then carried on up the coast. Kind of glad I wasn't on there at the time - it's only a small boat and a big whale!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Awesome. My dopey step ma asked if people were screaming and running away when they saw a whale!! I said no I was running towards it. Wish I knew what kind it was, it was black, probably a humpback?? Didn't get to see it's underside as it didn't flip out of the water or anything. Will keep my eyes firmly peeled now.

Loopy
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:18 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default ..on the news.

Did anyone see/read on the news about a british family who, while out sailing off the coast of australia, had a 10 tonne whale jump out of the water and land on their deck? Everyone survived and even the boat made it, although it had major damage to the mast and rigging.

I can't find any links to the story yet, but i shall keep my eyes open.

Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:23 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whale wrecks family's sailing trip

BBC news story here
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:32 am
life begins again...

....that's the one.

cheers for that!
Old Aug 20th 2003, 11:27 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perths Fishy Friends Sunday Arvo

Originally posted by Anon E Mouse
Also, (and we hadn't been there before) you should really check out the park and sand bar that goes way out into the river at Point Walter - v. nice.

Mouse.
Where abouts is this place Mouse?
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:45 pm
Squeaking Member

Default Re: Perths Fishy Friends Sunday Arvo

Originally posted by janeyray
Where abouts is this place Mouse?
Dont know if this helps (whereis is pretty pants compared to streetmap but still)

Find Freo, Canning Hwy and Preston Point Road. Follow through Bicton, turn onto Honour Ave and stop when you hit the beach :-)

Cant guarantee dolphins though....
Attached Thumbnails Perths Fishy Friends Sunday Arvo-map12554%5B1%5D.gif  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.