Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perthites...pubs/eateries to recommend

Perthites...pubs/eateries to recommend

Old May 3rd 2015, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perthites...pubs/eateries to recommend

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Compared to where? The UK?
Accepted international standards. Dinning out in Perth beyond the basic, is expensive and more than not of poor value.
Old May 3rd 2015, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Hi guys. A colleague is spending some time in Perth next month and has never been. She will be staying in the CBD and working in Wilson. Can anyone recommend places to eat etc in the 2 areas? Thanking you!
The best thing is she walks around the CBD/Northbridge area and finds where she feels comfortable. There are hardly an abundance of single women alone dinning out in pubs. Something to keep mindful off.
Old May 3rd 2015, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My last meal out was a brunch at a local restaurant in Gooseberry Hill last weekend and it was very good - my meal was $20 including a drink

My last dinner out was about 3 weeks ago at the fantastic Japanese restaurant in Kalamunda which was superb - as always - about $30 for a main and BYO

They might mean something to you but Michelin stars mean nothing to me. I've eaten at restaurants that have them and haven't seen what all the fuss was about (equally I have eaten at others that have and have seen what all the fuss is about) - each to their own

I think both the UK and Australia have good and bad and see them as on a par overall and service is generally crap in both. Neither are as good as what you can get in South Africa
We are not talking distant suburbs though. Food in Perth is generally over priced or more like a rip off .

Now RSA has seen increases in food prices but the quality of the food, especially the meat leaves Australia for dead. Long before we talk about price.
Much like the wine. White whine from the Paarl region leaves Oz whites in general tasteless.
Old May 3rd 2015, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've stayed in Perth and a steak was $42..is this par for the course? Pun not intended...
I didn't get a lucky shag..never mind!

There is a pub in Melbourne where you can get a steak for $15..one night a week
Nothing lucky about the Shag. I was a regular there. Price rise about what could be considered reasonable and cancelled my 'membership', well make the odd visit there but find it a bit of a rip off for what it is.
Best is try as many different venues as possible in an attempt to capture one that fulfils personal requirements. Harder than it may at first appear in Perth and I go to a number of venues.
Old May 3rd 2015, 12:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

troubadour, I'm curious. Is there anything at all you like about Perth?
Old May 4th 2015, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
troubadour, I'm curious. Is there anything at all you like about Perth?
Not the rip off eating out part though I do of course participate, nor the increasing plastic demeanour of the city, which lets face it could be any number of third tier cities, nor the substandard driving, or cashed up semi literate bogans, nor the western suburb snobbery, the over inflated houses, the naval gazing all too prominent here, the conservatism nor the cronyism.
The hot summers nor cold winters and don't get me on the over rated beaches which will likely blow you across the Indian Ocean to Durban, if they blew in reverse . The rules, the regs, controls, I'm just warming up so don't get me started.

Worst of the lot though are posters that ask slightly silly questions on the forum.
Old May 4th 2015, 9:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Not the rip off eating out part though I do of course participate, nor the increasing plastic demeanour of the city, which lets face it could be any number of third tier cities, nor the substandard driving, or cashed up semi literate bogans, nor the western suburb snobbery, the over inflated houses, the naval gazing all too prominent here, the conservatism nor the cronyism.
The hot summers nor cold winters and don't get me on the over rated beaches which will likely blow you across the Indian Ocean to Durban, if they blew in reverse . The rules, the regs, controls, I'm just warming up so don't get me started.

Worst of the lot though are posters that ask slightly silly questions on the forum.
Oh, I agree about posters who ask slightly silly questions. Even worse are those posters who can't understand a question, and go off at a complete tangent.

I asked if there was anything you liked about Perth. The question was genuine. It's ok though, I'm not interested in the answer anymore. Carry on!

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 4th 2015 at 9:14 am.
Old May 7th 2015, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I've stayed in Perth and a steak was $42..is this par for the course? Pun not intended...

You got away lightly. We have visited Rockpool in Perth, where you can be hit for about $200 for a steak - without sides which are extra. It is the only restaurant where we have had to send dishes back - twice.
Old May 10th 2015, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oh, I agree about posters who ask slightly silly questions. Even worse are those posters who can't understand a question, and go off at a complete tangent.

I asked if there was anything you liked about Perth. The question was genuine. It's ok though, I'm not interested in the answer anymore. Carry on!
I will carry on as you gracefully gave consent to. My personal likes have no bearing on the matter under discussion being eateries and food.
Old May 10th 2015, 11:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

My local hotel does $12 steak on Thursdays. It'd okay but nothing special. Better option is 10mins down the hill where you can get a great steak and a pint for $20

There was an article on one of the local news websites where the reporter got a steak and pint, Monday to Friday for $100 for the week
Old May 10th 2015, 11:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I will carry on as you gracefully gave consent to. My personal likes have no bearing on the matter under discussion being eateries and food.
What a ridiculous answer. Surely you have a personal opinion on whether you like a particular place to eat? You either like it or you don't

Bizarre