Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Work Experience and Schools

Perth Work Experience and Schools

Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

The_Foulgers will become famous soon enoughThe_Foulgers will become famous soon enough
Default Perth Work Experience and Schools

Hi, we're still in the early stages of applying for visa's for Australia, but have been out several times and our last trip over Christmas and New Year had us deciding on Perth and Fremantle as the place we intend working and living. We are coming back out in June, staying again in Freo and spending time talking to agencies and companies about work in Perth. We're intending on doing some work experience days in Perth with as many different companies as possible to get a really good feel for living and working in Oz. We both work in IT, I'm a Software Tester and my husband deals with Network and Systems support. We're also hoping that my son can spend a few days in a school in the Freo area. I wondered if anybody could suggest / knew of any companies that might be worth trying? Secondly has anybody had experience of their child being able to spend a few days in a school in the area they were migrating to?
Any info gratefully received.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:40 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Work Experience and Schools

Originally Posted by The_Foulgers
Hi, we're still in the early stages of applying for visa's for Australia, but have been out several times and our last trip over Christmas and New Year had us deciding on Perth and Fremantle as the place we intend working and living. We are coming back out in June, staying again in Freo and spending time talking to agencies and companies about work in Perth. We're intending on doing some work experience days in Perth with as many different companies as possible to get a really good feel for living and working in Oz. We both work in IT, I'm a Software Tester and my husband deals with Network and Systems support. We're also hoping that my son can spend a few days in a school in the Freo area. I wondered if anybody could suggest / knew of any companies that might be worth trying? Secondly has anybody had experience of their child being able to spend a few days in a school in the area they were migrating to?
Any info gratefully received.
I wouldn't imagine your child will be able to do this. Schools require enrolment before a child can spend a prolonged time in school. Our school would let you tour the school and observe a class in progress but not let a child stay there without the parents without enrolment. You also will not be able to partake in any work without the correct visa. Agencies will take your details but are unlikely to be seriously interested in you until you have the correct visa and some idea of when you are likely to get here.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

Is your son in high school or secondary. If it is high school and you want a state school, try John Curtin School of the Arts first as it has some of the best funding in the area and is in the middle of Freo.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

The_Foulgers will become famous soon enoughThe_Foulgers will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by northernbird
I wouldn't imagine your child will be able to do this. Schools require enrolment before a child can spend a prolonged time in school. Our school would let you tour the school and observe a class in progress but not let a child stay there without the parents without enrolment. You also will not be able to partake in any work without the correct visa. Agencies will take your details but are unlikely to be seriously interested in you until you have the correct visa and some idea of when you are likely to get here.
Many thanks northernbird, when I said work experience this is not actual work, this is work experience / shadowing and is allowed on a normal visitor visa as long as there is no payment for this. I have two arranged but would like to get a couple more so that I can get a proper feel for the working environment.
Thanks for info on schools, I had been given the impression that he might be able to spend a couple of days or so in a school, so may have to rethink this. Many thanks for your reply any info really is appreciated.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iolande
Is your son in high school or secondary. If it is high school and you want a state school, try John Curtin School of the Arts first as it has some of the best funding in the area and is in the middle of Freo.
Many thanks for this I will try them, funnily enough the lady I spoke to a couple of weeks ago from Government of WA mentioned them too.