Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - will somebody please cheer me up!

Perth - will somebody please cheer me up!

Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:14 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perth - will somebody please cheer me up!

Originally Posted by vickyandrob
BristolBeary - you are starting to worry me as i'm in IT and waiting for our Visa to move to Perth next year.
Do you have any skills from before you became a Java programmer that you could freshen up on?

Do you happen to know what the prospects are like for Oracle PL/SQL developers with some VB & VBA and Oracle Apex skills?

I've looked on Seek and there are jobs but not as many as last time I looked - is it just a bad time for recruitment in Perth season-wise as it's the worst time in the UK for recruitment due to coming up to the new year?
EDIT: Just seen Hoofie's post about the time of year, seems to be the same as the UK then in terms of pre-xmas recruitment.

Rob
My previous experience was with some ancient legacy system so thats a no goer. OH may get a temp job to pay the bills while I do some certification and look after our 2 year old.

3-4 agents have spoken to me about oracle work so I wouldn't worry to much it seems more poplar then java, come to think of it I think Oracle the company has an office here so that could be your 1st port of call?

Also its the school holidays soon so that will make it a bit more difficult what with key people being out.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:20 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
The time of year doesn't help you - it gets quiet towards xmas unfortunately. You seem to have done everything required to get started. There was a large project at BankWest for the last year or two that was hoovering up people but that has ramped down now.

Out of curiosity, have you spoken to these agents : Robert Walters, Talent and PIC ?
Yes I reckon I've spoke to every agent in WA. I've come to thinking that its just not a good time for my particular skill set so just to hang in and be patient.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
My previous experience was with some ancient legacy system so thats a no goer. OH may get a temp job to pay the bills while I do some certification and look after our 2 year old.

3-4 agents have spoken to me about oracle work so I wouldn't worry to much it seems more poplar then java, come to think of it I think Oracle the company has an office here so that could be your 1st port of call?

Also its the school holidays soon so that will make it a bit more difficult what with key people being out.
That's a bit of a relief then (well sort of), just trying to pick up extra skills now ahead of our move.
Good luck on the job front - i'm sure you will get sorted.
BTW - have you looked at contract work too?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by vickyandrob
That's a bit of a relief then (well sort of), just trying to pick up extra skills now ahead of our move.
Good luck on the job front - i'm sure you will get sorted.
BTW - have you looked at contract work too?
Yes I've asked about contracting which I'd prefer as I was contracting back in the UK (in Cardiff) and there's stuff around but I think companies prefer perm staff. The difference between money from perm to contract isn't that great over here.

Working 46 weeks a year your looking at an extra $30K which will all be in the higher tax band so take home would be around $20K more (£9K). Which is a lot but might not be worth the hassle and not having the security of a perm job.

Back in the UK a java developer would get maybe £38K perm but on a contract I was on £80K so you can see your not coming here for the money. Actually in the end that will probably be the reason I go back. But in the mean time I'm gonna have a reaxed couple of years
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

SPLINTER is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again just got this from seek:

http://it.seek.com.au/users/apply/in...97&cid=jobmail

Good luck with the job hunting!!!