Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - will somebody please cheer me up!

Perth - will somebody please cheer me up!

Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of
Default Perth - will somebody please cheer me up!

Amongst my friends and family back in the UK I'm known as very outgoing, positive and never let anything defeat me..... but arriving in Perth 5 weeks ago I think this has been the biggest mistake ever. I've tried my hardest not to be negative.... but....

1) If your in IT (Software developer) like me job prospects are not that great. You would think thats my fault for not researching the market but I did and sadly promises by agents etc of a booming ecomony just are not true once your here. Your fine if you want to work down a mine though.

2) The great outdoor life paradox. Yes the climate is good but its too hot 11 - 4 so unless you want skin cancer its best to stay indoors.

3) Similar to point 2 its unbearable being outside due to the 500 billion flies, going to cafes/beach/park is just stressful after 15 minutes.

4) Part of the reason for coming was for better work/life balance so not having an hour commute was going to be nice. Again the traffic here and passenger loads on public transport mean just as long commutes added to the extra working hours I would be spending less time with my family.

Now I have another 20 things to have a pommy whinge about but I'll stop here just because I cant be arsed moaning anymore. Have a 6 month lease on a house as well and stuff is docking tomorrow so we cant even up sticks and try somewhere else now. Basically unless I get a job soon we're off back to blighty come Feb/March time and frankly I'm hoping I dont get a job.

Now can someone please tell me I'm just being home sick or something and I'll start feeling better soon.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perth - will somebody please cheer me up!

Oh and just to add another point Australia now has the biggest gap between an average salary and average priced house which makes buying a home (on a par with one in the UK) out of reach of most people.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Hi matey,

I will probably go back to IT when I move to Perth, I have researched the industry heavily and couldnt find work advertised in development or programming. I did however find lots of work for people such as techies, hardware engineers, 3rd line support and the likes.

Is it not possible for you to start in one of these roles and then work your way back in to development. I know some of them dont pay much, but they do pay and the work is not hard, just a thought.

I know of a recruitment agent out there in Perth that works in the IT sector, I will mail you his details when I get home.

You do sound very home sick tough, what you have to think is the IT industry isnt that great here in the UK either. Would you be any better off coming home ? I think you just need to find work to kep your mind occupied and keep your spirits up.

I know it sounds corny but keep your chin up, speak soon.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:39 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem is that we get so wrapped up in the visa & emmigration process that we may get caught unawares by thinking the hard work is over once you have the visa in your hand. In fact it all starts again when you step off the plane and sometimes it seems like it`s just too much and doubts start to creep in. We`ve been here since June and have settled well and are happy but that doesn`t mean it couldn`t all change to rat shit for us tomorrow and the same goes for you (except it could start looking like wine & rosesfor you), once one thing clicks into place (especially the work side) then you may find you gradually settle down and start to relax and enjoy life. Lets face it you are going through a lot of stress and worry, keep digging away at the job side and try to see some positives, Perth isn`t for everybody, some people may say 5 weeks isn`t long enough to give it a chance but it is for some. The flies aren`t that much of a problem (once you get used to the taste )- they`ll soon die down in a few weeks, the heat & sun, well yes it can be hard to get used to but this is the climate of the country (we don`t even have aircon in our rental)I know it may seem like you are looking down a dark tunnel wondering what you`ve done but take it one step at a time and don`t be too hard on yourself a big move like this can be real shock to the system no matter how well prepared you are.
Whereabouts are you in Perth by the way??
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

damn those flies !!!!!

i'm with you on all counts

we came to get the kids a more outdoor lifestyle and away from the playstation ...but as tou say its not the rain keeping them indoors its the sun,flies ans mozzies !!!!

i'm an engineering machinst by trade and have a perm skills visa .but the work places i have seen are really bad and dangerous and less money than i was on in the uk ... step back 30 years ....

time for a career change i feel for both of us .....think of it as an opertunity to do the job you have always wanted to ....courses are easy to find and sign up for......

no one said it was going to be easy!!!!!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for the support guys. I've only just realised now you've said that yes we get wrapped up in the visa thing and think its easy once we walk off the plane when in fact its probably more difficult.

And yes even know I dont like to admit it too much not having friends and family around is tough, I'm here with wife and 2 year old and were trying are best to meet new people. We are in Sorrento at the moment but moving to Scarborough Friday week.

I really love Perth as a city and want to make this work so hopefully this is our low point and things will just get better from tomorrow.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:58 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

I will cheer you up!

Its bloody freezing cold, wet, and dark here in the UK.

You get up to a frost, your car is frozen up, you come home from work in the dark. You never seem to feel like you breath in any fresh air here in this wintery climate, its all heated air filled with chemicals.

Life is short, too bloody short, at least give it a year, or minimum do not consider coming back to the UK until the summer starts around August time, that way you will miss the floods and the heavy rain?

I would swap with you tomorrow, hopefully i will pretty soon, enjoy!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

ozchick will become famous soon enoughozchick will become famous soon enough

Hi. Being a Perthie who is about to move home after living the last 11yrs in the UK (minus 2yrs at home at some point) I am stressing about fitting back in!! Like many of you I am being lured home by the lifestyle that Perth offers, but unlike many of you are well aware of the downfalls that Perth can offer. The positives are numerous, but to be honest each positive has a negative - but the same applies in reverse.
I know even I am going to have it rough for the first 6 mths or so until I get back into the swing of it but I am lucky because my family are all there to help and support. I have done it the other way (oz to UK) where I only had my ex to rely on, doing scut jobs for scut money but having stuck it out through the rough patches where all I wanted to do was get on the next plane home, I can now say that I happily call the UK my home. I am leaving behind some fantastic friends and wonderful memories and I wouldn't trade that in for anything.
I don't want to make it sound like it's an easy thing to do, or make it sound like I'm a martyr for doing it (actually this is the 3rd time I've tried to move home, the last time only lasted 6 mths LOL) because it's not easy but it is an adventure! I am looking forward to going home, but am sh!tting myself at the same time - mainly because this time I'm going home by myself with a 2 yo daughter with a mortgage to pay and no job yet!!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

ozchick will become famous soon enoughozchick will become famous soon enough

OK, my reply was far from cheery so here are the things I am looking forward to the most - in no particular order.

1. Walking along the beach before going to work, or as the sun sets.
2. Trigg Island Cafe and the Blue Duck - I hope to goodness they still exist.
3. Picnics in Kings Park.
4. Fish and Chips on the South Perth or Nedlands Foreshore.
5. Test matches at the WACA.
6. The Left Bank and Little Creatures Brewery
7. Karrinyup Shopping Centre
8. Watching my nephews play cricket and football on Saturday mornings
9. Drinking really cold beer!!
10. Amberley Estate Chenin Blanc
11. The Re Store
12. Watching the Australia Day Fireworks from somewhere apart from the South Perth foreshore or city side!!
13. A summer that lasts longer than a few months, and a winter that only lasts a few months.
14. Kookaburras
15. Watching the yachts on The Swan - although I'd rather be on one.
16. Weekends 'down south'
17. Weekends 'up north'

I could keep going but the main thing will be spending time with my family and watching my little girls grow up with all her cousins.

hope that's helped cheer you up
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:47 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozchick
OK, my reply was far from cheery so here are the things I am looking forward to the most - in no particular order.

1. Walking along the beach before going to work, or as the sun sets.
2. Trigg Island Cafe and the Blue Duck - I hope to goodness they still exist.
3. Picnics in Kings Park.
4. Fish and Chips on the South Perth or Nedlands Foreshore.
5. Test matches at the WACA.
6. The Left Bank and Little Creatures Brewery
7. Karrinyup Shopping Centre
8. Watching my nephews play cricket and football on Saturday mornings
9. Drinking really cold beer!!
10. Amberley Estate Chenin Blanc
11. The Re Store
12. Watching the Australia Day Fireworks from somewhere apart from the South Perth foreshore or city side!!
13. A summer that lasts longer than a few months, and a winter that only lasts a few months.
14. Kookaburras
15. Watching the yachts on The Swan - although I'd rather be on one.
16. Weekends 'down south'
17. Weekends 'up north'

I could keep going but the main thing will be spending time with my family and watching my little girls grow up with all her cousins.

hope that's helped cheer you up
Well it cheered me up, not that i am down, but cheered me up even more than i am cheerified i suppose, if that is possible?

Great floooookking post!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I feel the same way but relating to your post :

1) Your prospects for programming will be a lot better if your on the east coast, if you tired in sydney I am sure you will find more jobs than you would in your old uk city. Try seek.com.au I am in IT support and although there are lots of jobs I have been interviewing and having no luck but I am sure the right one will crop up. There are more medium and small companies in perth than their are large and the large companies would ahve offices on the east coast where any programming development would be done. I have been dabbling in 3D modelling / animation and know there wouldnt be work here for that.

2) Most of the year the weather is great it only gets to hot for about a month, up to 35 is fine I think, above that like last year when it went up about 40 is to much but it doesnt last long unlike the long winter in the uk. Not only are people outdoors more but they live a more healthy active life, you dont find many comming home and being slumped in front of the tv watching soaps all night.

3) Yes the flies have been bad the last couple of weeks but they will soon die and be gone for the rest of the year. I went for a lovely walk down the beach yesterday at scaraborough and didnt see one fly. So you will only have this problem for a few weeks. Last year I was in adelaide and the flies would appear 1 day maybe each month then be gone

4) I find the traffic is much better here than the UK, I can get from the city to my house in about 25minutes and its a long way. Back in the UK a much shorter journey used to take over an hour. Maybe your are just in a bad area?

You have to give it much more time, the first 6 months are the hardest. I found almost everyday in the first 6 months we would want to go home and talk about it. It was a real emotional rollercoaster, but you just have to fight through it. In fact the first year is going to be hard, accept it and get on but dont give up. Those that do give up in the first year go back t the uk only to realise they should have given it more time and later come back to aus, theres many sotries like that on these forums.

Give it a year, one day you will wake up, the sun will be shinning the air clear and you will realise you are lucky to be in such a nice place and your desire to go back to uk is gone.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:34 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

BristolBeary, what technologies are you working in?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
Amongst my friends and family back in the UK I'm known as very outgoing, positive and never let anything defeat me..... but arriving in Perth 5 weeks ago I think this has been the biggest mistake ever. I've tried my hardest not to be negative.... but....

1) If your in IT (Software developer) like me job prospects are not that great. You would think thats my fault for not researching the market but I did and sadly promises by agents etc of a booming ecomony just are not true once your here. Your fine if you want to work down a mine though.

2) The great outdoor life paradox. Yes the climate is good but its too hot 11 - 4 so unless you want skin cancer its best to stay indoors.

3) Similar to point 2 its unbearable being outside due to the 500 billion flies, going to cafes/beach/park is just stressful after 15 minutes.

4) Part of the reason for coming was for better work/life balance so not having an hour commute was going to be nice. Again the traffic here and passenger loads on public transport mean just as long commutes added to the extra working hours I would be spending less time with my family.

Now I have another 20 things to have a pommy whinge about but I'll stop here just because I cant be arsed moaning anymore. Have a 6 month lease on a house as well and stuff is docking tomorrow so we cant even up sticks and try somewhere else now. Basically unless I get a job soon we're off back to blighty come Feb/March time and frankly I'm hoping I dont get a job.

Now can someone please tell me I'm just being home sick or something and I'll start feeling better soon.
1) I don't think Perth is the best city for IT, probably the east coast would be better.
2) It's only early summer and it's going to get hotter - a lot hotter. If you are struggling now then you will have a tough Jan/Feb. Perth is one of the sunniest cities in one of the sunniest countries in the world.
3) Flies will be gone in a few weeks. They only last from mid October to early/mid December. Agree that they are a pain.
4) Perth is growing much faster than anticipated and the infrastructure has not caught up yet. Typically, government has not planned for this amount of growth. They are trying to sort it out - new railway line to the south, upgrading roads. It will take time. Commuting hare is probably easier than in Sydney (as bad as London), Melbourne and definitely, Brisbane. My commute is half of what it was in the UK.

Most people adapt to life here - some do not. Australia is not for everyone.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolBeary

I know where your coming from mate , we've been here 7 months now and i can relate to everything your saying (although getting a job for me was quite easy as i am a nurse , but ended up with a job that made me quite depressed and anxious). Anyway ,what am trying to say is we are giving it our BEST shot and i would say things are now just and i mean JUST becoming a BIT easier, i have a better job , hubby working , kids seem quite happy and at least our surroundings are looking a bit familiar now, which believe me helps a great deal. I think you are probably knackered, stresse and in a state of shock just now, perfectly normal for the length of time you have been in aus.

Also try to get to an expat meet or meet some expats, this really helps as they can offer lots of support and advice on how to survive the first 12 months

Last edited by Margaret3; Nov 14th 2007 at 10:01 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kalenge
BristolBeary, what technologies are you working in?
I am a J2EE/Java Developer which is on the skills in demand list, but the demand sounds like its over on the east coast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.