Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth/WA drivers

Perth/WA drivers

Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Perth/WA drivers

I've probably moaned about this before, but I need to again.

They have to be the worst/most dangerous drivers I have ever experienced. Absolutely shocking, with no road sense or spatial awareness what-so-ever. They are truly atrocious.

I have to drive upto Wanneroo from Leederville everyday along the freeway and some of the stuff I see would turn your hair grey. It truly is mindnumbing how bad they are.

This morning was a shocker in the rain. Cars are throwing up a lot of spray and the vast majority don't bother with headlights. There's then the usual insane merging without checking mirrors, cutting across you to get to their exit, pushing into the gap between you and the car in front and the all-time favourite of tailgating.

If you're coming to Perth prepare yourselves for it and make sure you have eyes in the back/side and top of your head...!!!!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth/WA drivers

Considering there is such a large number of UK immigrants in Perth it would only stand to reason that a large number of those bad drivers are UK immigrants as well. Would it not?
Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I would suggest that the vast majority of road users in Perth are Australian. Bit of a daft argument you're trying there.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
I would suggest that the vast majority of road users in Perth are Australian. Bit of a daft argument you're trying there.
How do you figure? Do the immigrants not drive here? I'm an immigrant and I certainly drive every day.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

What you're insinuating is absurd. That because Perth has UK immigrants therefore the majority of drivers wouldn't be Australian?

Perth has a population of 1.5 million, with approximately 120,000 people emigrating to the whole of Australia AND New Zealand a year, so not just Perth. I would therefore say that the vast majority of drivers in Perth, Australia - are from Perth, Australia.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Do you know what gets me going.....when people dont let you out or move over lanes...really makes me:curse:
Old Sep 1st 2008, 11:19 am
Just Joined

aussielot is on a distinguished road

I don't find the driving to bad here, i am from London and found it no better or worse than the UK, the road rage here is far less and the roads are better for drivers, the climate is better as we get very few wet days which makes the roads safer and the police are hot when it comes to giving fines/points, which i find acceptable even though i have received fines and points.

The only thing i do find frustrating is that there are few major roads that lead to the city and this can cause congestion, but on the whole it is not to bad, now that is not to say that i have not come home from being Perth and ranted and raved about the drivers but maybe i am having tunnel vision and forgotton what sort of driving, congestion and road rage i left behind.

On the point of imigrant drivers, i think it is unfare to think that most of the drivers are Australian without having the facts, when you consider the amount of immigrants who have come from other countries over the years it is more common to come up against a non Australian than an Australian in my opinion, but there again without the facts and figures it is just an opinion.

Last edited by aussielot; Sep 1st 2008 at 12:37 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Some of them aren't the best drivers in the world, but to be honest I've seen as bad, if not worse while driving on the M25.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 11:33 am
Just Joined

perthexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Wookie, I have to agree! I have been here 8 months now and some of the driving I have witnessed is shocking, absolutely shocking!

Drivers can't merge for sh*t, can't read road signs and certainly do not know what speed limits are!!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:29 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Where in the UK are you from Wookie?

The driving is really no different to the UK ... or the south-east at least. I actually find it easy going compared to the M25 and M40.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

From South London for all 37 years of my life apart from the 6 months in Perth. I used to commute 100 miles a day by bike and car around the M25 and up the M1 and yes you would get the occasional idiot, but nowhere near as often as I see it here.

I'm still baffled how people can't think that most drivers in Australia are Australian. It's like saying that most of the people you come across in the street aren't Australian.

Yes there are a lot of migrants, but to say that they outnumber actual Australians is crazy.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:03 pm
Still alive

Who said they outnumber Australians? What I said was that if a great number of people living in Perth are migrants then it stands to reason that a great number of drivers would therefore also be migrants.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

When I suggested that the majority of road users in Perth would be Australia. This was your reply.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How do you figure? Do the immigrants not drive here? I'm an immigrant and I certainly drive every day.
Questioning my statement. By 'How do you figure', you obviously didn't agree with what I was saying.

Anyhows - I'm off to kip. Am knackered and have an early start. Gotta be bright and alert to avoid those loonies on the Mitchell Freeway!!!!

Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:27 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

From South London for all 37 years of my life apart from the 6 months in Perth. I used to commute 100 miles a day by bike and car around the M25 and up the M1 and yes you would get the occasional idiot, but nowhere near as often as I see it here.

I'm still baffled how people can't think that most drivers in Australia are Australian. It's like saying that most of the people you come across in the street aren't Australian.

Yes there are a lot of migrants, but to say that they outnumber actual Australians is crazy.
I think you're misreading Dorothy's post. She didn't say the majority or most bad drivers in Australia are from the UK.

She said that a large number of them would be from the UK, which I think is a fair statement to make considering that Brits outnumber any other country in total immigrant numbers.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:27 pm
Still alive

When I suggested that the majority of road users in Perth would be Australia. This was your reply.

Questioning my statement. By 'How do you figure', you obviously didn't agree with what I was saying.

Anyhows - I'm off to kip. Am knackered and have an early start. Gotta be bright and alert to avoid those loonies on the Mitchell Freeway!!!!

That's why I drive Marmion instead. Bunch of lunatics on the freeway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.