British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Perth, WA do or dont? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/perth-wa-do-dont-945136/)

DOHDUBMAN Aug 16th 2022 7:18 pm

Perth, WA do or dont?

So, After trawling this forum ten years ago and receiving fantastic advice! Being a young dumb single man before my big move to Doha, Qatar, I'm hitting you guys back up for a new move.

Now is the time to move to Perth.

I really need some do and don'ts. Moving now with a 3-year-old.

Best areas to live? Best schools? Comparisons, price wise between Qatar and Australia?

Apologies for the generic questions, guys. I'm also working my way through the forums :)

verystormy Aug 17th 2022 5:12 am

Re: Perth, WA do or dont?

The first big thing is have you checked you qualify for a visa?

DOHDUBMAN Aug 18th 2022 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 13135133)
The first big thing is have you checked you qualify for a visa?

Haven't checked that but can't see it being an issue. Will defo look into it now though.

the troubadour Aug 20th 2022 12:51 am

Probably more a question of where you can obtain a rental. Very scarce at the moment.

Pollyana Aug 20th 2022 2:50 am

Originally Posted by DOHDUBMAN (Post 13135468)
Haven't checked that but can't see it being an issue. Will defo look into it now though.

Start here - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/ and make sure your skills/experience will get you a visa. Once you're sure of that you can start looking at areas where you might be able to get employent, and then areas close enough to live in :)

the troubadour Aug 21st 2022 10:25 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 13135775)
Probably more a question of where you can obtain a rental. Very scarce at the moment.

Besides being Ice (meth) capital of the nation of course. Doesn't appear to bother many, but sure does me.

Ceebs Aug 28th 2022 2:03 pm

Never realised WA were only offering 190’s if you have a job offer… that makes me sad :( it’s so difficult to get any sort of interview when you are overseas

pomerz Sep 16th 2022 3:19 pm

Thought I’d return here after 11 years of living and loving Perth …..don’t believe the doom n gloomers , good luck pal

the troubadour Sep 17th 2022 9:44 am

Originally Posted by pomerz (Post 13141626)
Thought I’d return here after 11 years of living and loving Perth …..don’t believe the doom n gloomers , good luck pal

No doom n gloomers on this thread that I could detect. Only reality.

Moses2013 Sep 17th 2022 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 13141806)

;)

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...ca9f0fd35c.jpg

okonumiyaki Sep 18th 2022 4:13 am

Best areas to live? Cottesloe, Dalkeith, Peppermint Grove, City Beach, Nedlands, Applecross

Best schools? Perth Modern, St Hilda's, Christ Church, Penhros, Methodist Ladies (note - only Perth Modern is state, the others are private)

Do make sure you have a visa. Don't underestimate how far Perth is from anywhere else.

pomerz Sep 26th 2022 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 13141806)

Yeah na Yeah Na….. all good here champ

paddy234 Nov 3rd 2022 9:31 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 13135775)

This:thumbs_up:. I'm reading posts everyday from Ireland/UK struggling to find rentals here. Was reading a post yesterday from someone claiming they are looking at 5 properties per day and can't get a rental with their B&B running out soon. This no doubt is the biggest hurdle in getting settled here so have some sort of plan to prepare for this.

As for the OP my advice would be join expat groups on social media. There are discussions like this several times a day so you are bound to get heaps of replies there aswell, then you will be able to gauge If it's the right move

the troubadour Nov 4th 2022 8:24 am

Originally Posted by paddy234 (Post 13152043)
This:thumbs_up:. I'm reading posts everyday from Ireland/UK struggling to find rentals here. Was reading a post yesterday from someone claiming they are looking at 5 properties per day and can't get a rental with their B&B running out soon. This no doubt is the biggest hurdle in getting settled here so have some sort of plan to prepare for this.

As for the OP my advice would be join expat groups on social media. There are discussions like this several times a day so you are bound to get heaps of replies there aswell, then you will be able to gauge If it's the right move

Real estate in my area at least (inner city) have it pretty much wrapped up. I'd suggest if possible go straight through the owner. (not so easy I know) I've witnessed what I perceive to be faux home openings, in as much as renter has already been decided. So sad to see what's going down. Just hope it's not the norm.

the troubadour Nov 4th 2022 8:31 am

Originally Posted by pomerz (Post 13143853)
Yeah na Yeah Na….. all good here champ

All pretty bad here actually. Depending on which side of the fence you sit, champ.